BANGKOK
giddyup

Firestick or Roku? Amazon or Lazada?

2 hours ago, Thainesss said:

By far the best, easiest, most reliable, and function heavy system to use is the Nivida Shield with ExpressVPN (or similar VPN) 

Realize you are probable put off with buying something but for the future you can even take all those torrents, put them on an external drive and plug the drive into the Shield and use the Shield as a home media hub. Choose your movies and shows from the shield interface with the remote & stuff. 

I already do that now. Download everything to an external drive and play through a cheap Chinese media player, works perfectly, and I can watch what I want, when I want.

23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's going to depend on the individual channel and specific service at hand... If the app/service is available outside the U.S., then it ought to work fine with a Roku connected to a Thai ISP address... But if it's a U.S. only service, then when you try to open the channel and/or log-in, it's probably going to fail.

Just because a Roku device sold in the U.S. may come with some pre-loaded channels doesn't necessarily mean those same channels are going to work if you try to use the device outside the U.S. (with a non U.S. IP address).

Exactly correct. I bought the Roku in America and tested it on my TV at home there. Things like tubi and crackle worked fine.

Brought to Thailand and utter fail, as mentioned in my other post on this thread.

Installed VPN router and used USA server, all fine again.

Yes, Amazon or Roku should put that notice in their advertising but then you might not buy one. What do you think they will do?

Always the same story for thousands of years :

Let the buyer beware.

13 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Yes, Amazon or Roku should put that notice in their advertising but then you might not buy one. What do you think they will do?

Let the buyer beware.

The reasons for that are simple and not bad behavior on the seller's part, IMHO.

Roku doesn't market or sell their devices in Thailand, or in many other countries for that matter. So there's no reason they would be advertising details not pertinent to their own markets.

Similarly, Amazon doesn't have a direct retail presence in Thailand, and most Amazon branded media consumption devices (Fire boxes/sticks and tablets, etc.) aren't even available for shipment to Thailand via Amazon's international shipping program.

To me, the issue you raise is kind of like asking a Thailand electronics retailer why they don't advertise or warn that if you take their device outside Thailand to the U.S. and try to plug it in there, it's not going to work.

23 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Exactly correct. I bought the Roku in America and tested it on my TV at home there. Things like tubi and crackle worked fine.

Brought to Thailand and utter fail, as mentioned in my other post on this thread.

Installed VPN router and used USA server, all fine again.

Let the buyer beware.

Received my Roku this morning and have found out that most of the popular free channels are not available. Plenty (over 800) of dross though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Similarly, Amazon doesn't have a direct retail presence in Thailand, and most Amazon branded media consumption devices (Fire boxes/sticks and tablets, etc.) aren't even available for shipment to Thailand via Amazon's international shipping program.

The Roku devices are available through Amazon for delivery to Thailand. Received mine this morning. Pretty slim pickings as far as free movie and TV shows though. 

On 11/23/2019 at 4:46 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The reasons for that are simple and not bad behavior on the seller's part, IMHO.

Roku doesn't market or sell their devices in Thailand, or in many other countries for that matter. So there's no reason they would be advertising details not pertinent to their own markets.

To me, the issue you raise is kind of like asking a Thailand electronics retailer why they don't advertise or warn that if you take their device outside Thailand to the U.S. and try to plug it in there, it's not going to work.

Ok. Fair argument. I concede the point.

So my solution is especially pertinent to the problem others are facing.

Thanks.

On 11/23/2019 at 4:48 PM, giddyup said:

Received my Roku this morning and have found out that most of the popular free channels are not available. Plenty (over 800) of dross though.

The only solution I know is the one I named earlier. Now I have more free movies than I care to watch though it will cost you a router and a VPN subscription, both of which I wanted anyway for unrelated reasons.