Question: Replacement Vehicle No. Plate and legal Use of Vehicle whilst Plate on order.

gdhm

Last Friday after returning to my Pickup parked at an out of town Supermarket Car park I immediately noticed  a supermarket trolley left at back of my Pickup. My wife removed it and I then immediately noticed my Rear Number plate was missing. We called a car park employee who looked at the empty plate fitting and just removed its cover plate revealing broken screw sockets. He asked how old the plate cover was. The plate retainer was same age as car 9 years. He said they would check cameras and later phoned my wife to say they saw my pickup drive in minus the rear plate (where I was parked there were no cameras). Although I cannot know for sure I still feel it was stolen at the car park, why else would there be a trolley conveniently hiding missing plate. Additionally the car park employee was able to just lift the retaining cover of the rear plate as it was just hanging in place. It is also it is reasonable to believe a retailer would prefer patrons not thinking/saying a vehicle plate was removed on their premises. I feel had it failed whilst i was driving that plate would certainly have fallen off together with the number plate.  ????Anyway its all academic because I appreciate one parks their vehicles in Retailers car park at one own risk.

We got a Police report and my wife went to the 20 kms away LTD to ask for a new plate I gave her a signed copy of my passport Visa stamp and ID page, my Blue Vehicle registration book and my original passport. She went because I could not drive my pickup with no plate or LTD document and being massively overweight and not in great health tuk tuks or taxis would have been difficult. About 90 mins later she returned home advising they needed me to personally sign their request form for replacement rear pate and my signed passport page (*which included my handwritten request that I authorized my wife to act on my behalf was not considered adequately signed. They wanted me to sign ON each passport page image on the sheet. They also wanted to see and copy my wife's ID. All seems overkill to me but "rules is rules". My wife went back and later returned home after the second visit with a receipt for ฿105 for the Rear number plate which was stamped that we should phone tel no. XXXXXX after 90 days to see if plate is ready for collection. 

Has anybody else ever been told to get a replacement plate takes 90 days? It seems an astonishing time to make up a new plate.

My wife was told if my pickup is stopped by police just show them the LTD receipt ordering a replacement.

Has anybody else been told the payment receipt is adequate for the police if stopped?  I must admit I feel very uncomfortable driving for 90 days without a plate when, the whole purpose of having front and rear plate is for others to be able to ID my vehicle if necessary. I have to drive the vehicle every 16 days to recharge the battery (I do not often drive it nowadays at other times).

What about police cameras on certain roads checking speeds and traffic light jumping?

Am I allowed to use a handmade card and felt tip pen as a temp substitute rear number?  It would be better than nothing IMHO BUT I would not wish to be accused or charged for using a fake/unauthorized  plate.

Any input based upon experience or knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks all.

Thanks stevenl I see you concur with canthai55 and I will follow the speedy and useful advice of you both.

With a possible 90 day turnaround for a new plate I don't get the feeling the plate for ID purposes seems as a important to the authorities in Thailand as in many countries in the West, where a replacement would be in days.

I just hope I did lose my plate due to wear and tear of its container, and that it was not stolen, coz if stolen, one has to worry about the reason and whether it will be used for something illegal. Thankfully my wife kindly reported the loss to the Police within  1-2 hours of us realizing it was gone.

I assume by your 30 days comment stevenl that you feel the 90 days was more likely a very conservative estimate and that it would probably be a good idea for my wife to give DLT a call in about a month.

I do plan to do one thing differently, when I get my replacement plate and that is to silicone or glue bond the back of it to the new plate holder I need to buy. That way if the cover does come off, the plate will not fall out/off. Additionally, if there is an attempt to steal it will be more difficult and a slower task to remove it.  I must check out my front plate holder coz if the years and heat did cause the loss of the rear plate then the front must be very vulnerable and on borrowed time.

Kind regards

4 hours ago, gdhm said:

I have to drive the vehicle every 16 days to recharge the battery (I do not often drive it nowadays at other times).

What's the point of having the vehicle then. Were you at the supermarket just to charge the battery?

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

One check of that plate will show that it does not belong to the vehicle using it if it was stolen.

Copy of blue book to be carried in vehicle. This will show what plate the vehicle is registered to

Yes that's true

Oh bye the way the email advice I got for your post #5 was so fast it arrived Pre Edit????

29 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

What's the point of having the vehicle then. Were you at the supermarket just to charge the battery?

Pretty close wgdanson. I do actually kill two birds with one stone. Give the motor a run and get some supplies.

When I got the pickup I used it a lot, but as I have got older, fatter and less healthy and to be honest bored with my local places to visit, I spend most of my time at home and on my PC. My wife has now passed her driving test and although I only drive the pickup if we go out (saves a lot of insurance premium with my full no claims discount and me as only named driver). My wife will use if I am not around (12 years older than her). It is also important for emergencies. Selling the pickup would IMO be silly as I would not get a good price and as I have mostly only used it around my city, it has done less kilometres since brand new 12½ years ago, than many do in a single year. There is no rust so to all intents and purposes its almost Brand new in may respects. Must admit currently it looks like it hasn't been cleaned or washed in all those years with all the dust on it :wink:.

I also have a motor scooter that I have not driven for well over a year. The bouncing on the roads triggered terrible sciatica which lasted 2-3 months and I have been too afraid to risk triggering that again. Normally I would have used that for in-city travel (unless needing to carry stuff) But now I rely on the Pickup only. My wife runs that to charge the battery. My stepson is now 16 years old so I think he will some take take over his mum's or my scooter.

Regards

4 hours ago, gdhm said:

The plate retainer was same age as car 9 years.

2 minutes ago, gdhm said:

since brand new 12½ years ago,

3 minutes ago, gdhm said:

and me as only named driver). My wife will use if I am not around 

Uninsured?

16 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Because Thais just leave their trolley where it was when they emptied it.

True and I know you are correct. On this occasion however, I parked away from busy rows in the car park (and there were a few spaces between the nearest cars and my pickup, because being very obese I park where I do not expect a car to park near me so I can get my door open wide enough for me to fit it. The trolley being behind my car I feel was there for the reason of making it look like a person (if seen) had arrived at his pickup and two mask any removal attempt.  I will in future park closer to the Supermarket entrance and where the is certainly more activity to be safer from potential mal-intents.

34 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Uninsured?

Of course not. I would never willingly allow my wife or step son (in the future) to drive uninsured or without a driving license.  My wife understands the importance of these and she and my stepson always wear  helmets when on a motor scooter whether as a passenger or in my wife's case the driver.  

The named driver I mentioned is for my Comprehensive Insurance cover on my pickup. It is in addition to the mandatory CMI on the vehicle. When I said if I am not around I mean if I am decease. If my wife was to use the pickup whilst I am alive I would get her name added to my Comprehensive policy. If I am dead she would have to apply for her own.

20 hours ago, canthai55 said:

One check of that plate will show that it does not belong to the vehicle using it if it was stolen.

Unless it's attached to a similar make/model of the same colour which is what someone wanting to use a false number plate would be looking for.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:24 PM, gdhm said:

we should phone tel no. XXXXXX after 90 days to see if plate is ready for collection. 

Has anybody else ever been told to get a replacement plate takes 90 days? It seems an astonishing time to make up a new plate.

Don't panic.  Many government agencies will quote a (sometimes ridiculous-sounding) maximum time period knowing that the item probably will be available in a much shorter time,.  They do it to give themselves leeway in case of delays and it stops them constantly being bombarded by chasing phone calls.  

For example, I requested a residence cert from CW Immigration on 8th November and was told it would take at least 30 days but to call them on 9th December to chase it.  The cert arrived in the post two days ago, 17th Nov, after just 9 days.

As someone else said, you've got the LTD receipt, you'll be ok.

Why bother worrying? The number of vehicles, especially motorbikes with no plates at all....

The speed cameras all seem to take pictures of the front of the car, so, you'll still get the fine. 

The plate thieves will use your plate on their vehicle to commit a crime, Mark my words. it'll all end in tears.

On 11/18/2019 at 4:23 PM, gdhm said:

Thanks stevenl I see you concur with canthai55 and I will follow the speedy and useful advice of you both.

With a possible 90 day turnaround for a new plate I don't get the feeling the plate for ID purposes seems as a important to the authorities in Thailand as in many countries in the West, where a replacement would be in days.

I just hope I did lose my plate due to wear and tear of its container, and that it was not stolen, coz if stolen, one has to worry about the reason and whether it will be used for something illegal. Thankfully my wife kindly reported the loss to the Police within  1-2 hours of us realizing it was gone.

I assume by your 30 days comment stevenl that you feel the 90 days was more likely a very conservative estimate and that it would probably be a good idea for my wife to give DLT a call in about a month.

I do plan to do one thing differently, when I get my replacement plate and that is to silicone or glue bond the back of it to the new plate holder I need to buy. That way if the cover does come off, the plate will not fall out/off. Additionally, if there is an attempt to steal it will be more difficult and a slower task to remove it.  I must check out my front plate holder coz if the years and heat did cause the loss of the rear plate then the front must be very vulnerable and on borrowed time.

Kind regards

Some years ago there were issues with issuing new plates, and the waiting time increased to 90 days. These days the waiting time is back to normal again, DLT's are required to issue them in 30 days. So I'd give them a call in 30 days.

On 11/19/2019 at 12:56 PM, Just Weird said:

...because that's his choice, perhaps?

On 11/19/2019 at 1:08 PM, Just Weird said:

Don't panic.  Many government agencies will quote a (sometimes ridiculous-sounding) maximum time period knowing that the item probably will be available in a much shorter time,.  They do it to give themselves leeway in case of delays and it stops them constantly being bombarded by chasing phone calls.  

For example, I requested a residence cert from CW Immigration on 8th November and was told it would take at least 30 days but to call them on 9th December to chase it.  The cert arrived in the post two days ago, 17th Nov, after just 9 days.

As someone else said, you've got the LTD receipt, you'll be ok.

Thanks for both posts Just Weird

7 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Why bother worrying? The number of vehicles, especially motorbikes with no plates at all....

The speed cameras all seem to take pictures of the front of the car, so, you'll still get the fine. 

The plate thieves will use your plate on their vehicle to commit a crime, Mark my words. it'll all end in tears.

1st sentence: Yeah I have noticed that fact ???? . I have also how many Red Plates are not official as they lack the LTD embossing on them and also noticed how many especially Lorries plates are so dirty they are totally or partially unreadable. Although my vehicle is often dirty and dusty the plates are always kept clean.

2nd sentence: I don't speed or jump lights. I have never been ticketed by Police, whether using my Motor scooter (until last year) or vehicle. I always carry driving licence and insurance and never used my Motor scooter without a helmet so I am not concerned about traffic cameras.

3rd Sentence: This is my concern and opinion if (as I still believe) my plate was stolen. If so it would have been for a reason, and obviously if seen fleeing the scene of a future crime, it will be that plate witnesses see. Just hope its not used on a similar type and coloured vehicle (but i fear it will be and that was reason for theft of my plate and not other vehicles plates.  Luckily for me, many around where I live know I seldom use my vehicle, never at night (except a visit to dentist 2 weeks ago to have a wisdom tooth pulled) and that am at home all day most days so any false leads to me should be easy to prove as not my vehicle or me involved.

Regards

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

Some years ago there were issues with issuing new plates, and the waiting time increased to 90 days. These days the waiting time is back to normal again, DLT's are required to issue them in 30 days. So I'd give them a call in 30 days.

Thanks StevenL, thats good to know.

I just hope that, when my wife phones LTD after a month, she doesn't get an earful about not waiting 90 days first.  Naturally I'm very keen to get my Vehicle properly and legally plated as fast as I can. 

On 11/19/2019 at 4:28 PM, chilly07 said:

Think your own temporary plate in the back window will suffice plus a note in Thai about plate on order or  try renting some red plates from a local dealer?

Thanks for your opinion chilly07

On reading all comments, I think I will just rely on the LTD receipt. My concern being that a temporary "non offical" plate of any kind kind might be regarded a "false plate" violation, even though well intended for identification purposes.

Regards

I got a warning from the cops to replace my faded plates as they are unreadable; no ticket. Ordered them (at Udon DLT) and told to come back in 60 days but told I should keep the dated receipt in the glovebox in case the cops ask again. Cops never hassled again and I went and got the plates 60 days later. No sweat.

Red plates are only available with a new car purchase waiting for the first plates. Even if a dealership was willing to let you have a spare set, they still come at a charge as the dealership has to buy them from the DLT, hence the refundable deposit when you get a set on a new purchase.

Making your own temporary ones may look nice but the hungrier cop may pull the 'falsifying a government-issued document' charge out of his butt and fine you. It's the same charge that cops can correctly ticket you for if you decide to repaint faded official plates by yourself BTW.

Those aftermarket plate holders are total rubbish and after 9 years, the OP's plate simply fell out. There's absolutely no big organized crime plate-lifting being perpetrated by the Thai underworld. My experience is the newer, all-plastic ones supplied by the dealership last longer than the not so cheap metal and plastic after-market ones found at Big C or Tesco-Lotus. Maybe schmooze the dealership for a new pair of plate holders?

Sleep easy, pilgrim.

Thanks NamLaew for the interesting input. I will liaise with my dealership on what plate holders they have to other. Personally I do not know why plates are no screwed into place with nuts and bolts. Still not convinced my plate fell out because as i said if it had then the hanging out metal cover would not have remained on the plates back holder if it had not come off with the plate (somehow) it certainly would have fallen off with the car bouncing. Anyway its all academic now.

Archived