Smart TV or Normal

spider1197

Hello folks

My TV just went to a double picture, 6 years old, and want to buy a new one.  Any suggestions or advice about type.  I have fiber optic 100,100 internet and am currently with True Vision satellite.  I think I can still run the True on a Smart tv but have little experience.

Suggestions or advice would be appreciated

A "smart" will do everything a regular "dumb" TV will do, plus a bunch of other stuff you may or may not want.

What you go for is up to you, you may not find a dumb TV that's big enough now, everything is smart.

I'd suggest smart tv. Doesn't seem you're very knowledgeable about it all so smart tv has everything you might need in one package without extra cables, remotes etc... And it is a very smooth experience on my LG without crashes etc... as some of these cheap android tv boxes can be a bit finicky  sometimes. Smart TVs usually also mention that you can use Netflix, youtube etc.. So if it says you can watch Netflix it is a smart TV ????

I recommend smart tv.  It will connect with your wireless WiFi and offer you a myriad of options you’d otherwise miss out on if it were....as they say....a “dumb” tv!  LG is a good brand...and their remotes have a point and click capability that you may not find on other brands.  I find this feature to be very useful.

I have both. My 55" Samsung curved screen connects with the Internet with no problems and had a few apps installed (Netflix, YouTube, etc.). I use its browser to connect with a couple of websites where I can watch American TV show, but use it mostly to watch American college football games. It has the ability to load some additional apps, but I found those they show available as limited - I haven't bothered to try to learn if I can install other apps.

The reason is because I also have an Android TV box (my second as after a few years my first one conked out).  It is a TK95Pro bought through Lazada and was preloaded with several apps. I have learned to install apps on it which is not to difficult once you know how, especially if you install Filelinked app - there are numerous YouTube videos on how to install various apps, many which include a Filelinked site and the code needed for access - once accessed, they list numerous apps that can be easily downloaded and installed - many have TV shows and movies available for streaming. It is connected to my TV with an HDMI cable.  If you get a tv box, go for one in the 2,000 -- 2,500 baht range as they usually have more bells and whistles (memory, preloaded apps, dual band WiFi, etc.). There are more expensive models available, but I find the TK95Pro, cost 2,300 baht, to be sufficient and does well with streaming  - of course, the internet connection will also have a lot to do with this (I have fiber-optic internet with a dual band WiFi router connected). My router is  upstairs but has no difficulty using WiFi to stream to my downstairs TV, located directly beneath the router.

Several years ago, before the android box and smart TV, I subscribed to True Satellite - it also connects to either dumb (my previous) or smart (my current) TV with an HDMI connection - no problems. 

I have an older normal HD tv but eventually it’ll need replacing. But when I have to use a vpn to connect to bbc iplayer etc.via iPad you cannot chromecast to the tv although the facility exists because that goes back through the router and is then blocked by uk terrestrial tv channels. I don’t suppose a smart tv in any way overcomes that? I do connect via hdmi lightning cable but other uk tv apps don’t support screen mirroring like iplayer 

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

I have an older normal HD tv but eventually it’ll need replacing. But when I have to use a vpn to connect to bbc iplayer etc.via iPad you cannot chromecast to the tv although the facility exists because that goes back through the router and is then blocked by uk terrestrial tv channels. I don’t suppose a smart tv in any way overcomes that? I do connect via hdmi lightning cable but other uk tv apps don’t support screen mirroring like iplayer 

You could get a good nvidia shield android box, install all the apps and vpn on the box and then watch everything you'd want to watch through that. 

For cost/value, you really can't beat the Amazon Fire TV 4k stick.  Sometimes is can be bought for under $40.00.  It has a ton of programs pre-installed and you can install a VPN with no problems.   It always works reliably and, best of all, Alexa is built into the remote control so after original of your Amazon account and your VPN, you can just speak most commands.  I have two of them and occasionally have to disconnect the VPN, renew my internet connection then reconnect but then everything works well.  The stick connects to an HDMI port and must be powered by micro USB.  Highly recommended!

6 hours ago, Thainesss said:

You could get a good nvidia shield android box, install all the apps and vpn on the box and then watch everything you'd want to watch through that. 

Does this allow to receive CNN and BBC World ?

6 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

Yes, but that box and the VPN is a very expensive way to watch them if that's all you want to do with it. 

An Intel NUC for Bht 5000 connected to a good TV, and a VPN will give you all you need

5 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

Yes, but that box and the VPN is a very expensive way to watch them if that's all you want to do with it. 

Yes that's all I look at ....but since the change of satellite by Truevision there are many interruptions (black outs) and then my PVR stops recording but does not return to action after the black out...So I loose many of my favorite CNN programs / That is why I start to look at alternatives to receive CNN

Definitely not smart TV!!!!

With a smart TV you are locked in to their technology ,which will certainly improve during the life of your tv, you can only update the software while/If you TV makers offers software updates.

Any "Dumb" TV can be made "Smart" with an inexpensive peripheral device,  I use :Fire Stick" when it is obsolete, throw it out and buy another one. I just bought the latest 4K one on sale for $37 usd. in a couple of years I am sure there will be something better, I will throw it out and buy the latest. 

15 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

An Intel NUC for Bht 5000 connected to a good TV, and a VPN will give you all you need

Ive been thinking about something like this, or a PI, or an old laptop as a media server/media center but im not really all that fussed with the extra effort it entails, cabling, keyboards, etc. 

The Nivida Shield is pretty solid, good processor, native Android etc and handles the VPN very well, which is what I'm currently using. 

1 minute ago, Thainesss said:

Ive been thinking about something like this, or a PI, or an old laptop as a media server/media center but im not really all that fussed with the extra effort it entails, cabling, keyboards, etc. 

The Nivida Shield is pretty solid, good processor, native Android etc and handles the VPN very well, which is what I'm currently using. 

Connect to a telly via ONE HDMI cable. Sorted. 

Of course you need a mains cable to the Androidbox, laptop or NUC, plus a LAN if possible. No problems really.

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Any "Dumb" TV can be made "Smart" with an inexpensive peripheral device,  I use :Fire Stick" when it is obsolete, throw it out and buy another one. I just bought the latest 4K one on sale for $37 usd. in a couple of years I am sure there will be something better, I will throw it out and buy the latest. 

Its true you can make a dumb TV smart by using a box but just about any TV that can provide 4k/UHD viewing will no doubt be a smart tv. 

I have a 75" Samsung smart TV that's quite nice and the "Smart Remote" automatically senses all my devices. I literally use one small remote with like 6 buttons to control everything including my sound bar. 

1 minute ago, Thainesss said:

Its true you can make a dumb TV smart by using a box but just about any TV that can provide 4k/UHD viewing will no doubt be a smart tv. 

I have a 75" Samsung smart TV that's quite nice and the "Smart Remote" automatically senses all my devices. I literally use one small remote with like 6 buttons to control everything including my sound bar. 

i have no problem with smart TVs one of my TVs is a smart TV, I still have a firestick on it because I like the way it works better. But that's a personal preference

. And you are right, most 4K tvs are smart . I did a search on Amazon and I was able to find a few 4k tvs that were not smart, but i bet in a couple of years they will all be smart. 

The only problem I have with the embedded smartness is that you are stuck with it. IMO if you can find one that is not smart and it is good for you, buy it and make it smart , if not, get the smart tv and later on you can make it smarter with a peripheral device.

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

i have no problem with smart TVs one of my TVs is a smart TV, I still have a firestick on it because I like the way it works better. But that's a personal preference

. And you are right, most 4K tvs are smart . I did a search on Amazon and I was able to find a few 4k tvs that were not smart, but i bet in a couple of years they will all be smart. 

The only problem I have with the embedded smartness is that you are stuck with it. IMO if you can find one that is not smart and it is good for you, buy it and make it smart , if not, get the smart tv and later on you can make it smarter with a peripheral device.

All true but I think everyone here in Thailand uses TV way differently than people who live in their home countries. I don't see any need at all for an external box on my smart TVs in the states because every app imaginable is already on there. Unless you want something like Kodi/free/pirated TV or some sort of media device with pictures and movies. 

Here everyone is trying to get around geo location restrictions/abysmal native TV selection. 

On 11/18/2019 at 4:48 PM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Buy standard hd biggest screen and android set top box. Save money won't need true visions.

65inch dumb TV and set top box be about same same price as smart tv 55inch. Box offer much my free viewing than smart TV. PM me if you need details of apps needed.

I bought android box on Lazada , my friend loaded it HBO , Cinemax, Penthouse, 1600 baht , I get thousand of channels, I was paying 2800 a month on True, now I just got Sinet for 600b a month for Internet , saving 2200 b a month now plus all the goods, it’s got internet on it also , Youtube , google for example

Archived