BANGKOK
chrisinhuahin

Non-O retirement extension and insurance

@moderator

Please close this thread, as the answer is crystal clear.

>> NO health-insurance needed for entry or extension based on an original Non Imm O Visa.

• Thanks 1

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thailand-tourist-visa.php

Here is what is required from the Thai embassy website. I would love to know how many people think it is accurate? Personally, I have never been asked for a round trip ticket paid in full. Never been asked to prove I had 20,000 bhat per month. I totally agree it depends on who you get, where you enter, possibly your appearance?? It is a gamble and I would be very surprised if I am the only farang that has escaped the basic visa requirements. 

As a further observation- (big generalization) but Thais are not really readers. How many book stores do you see in a city? Not many. I would suggest that a lot of the info. that is disseminated as memos may not be read, or has one IO that is assigned to read, interpret and communicate the info. to others. I am not trying to impunge Thai intelligence, rather they have other preferred methods of learning, one being extremely keen observation and memory skills.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

@moderator

>> NO health-insurance needed for entry or extension based on an original Non Imm O Visa.

Oh come on, a lot of people are bored, they just like to bang away on their keyboards just reminiscing, duplicating what others have just said ....,. Why spoil the fun

• Haha 2

Most people are confused because there are so many types of retirement extension. If yours is a non-O and not non-OA, then you don't need any health insurance.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Onrai said:

Here is what is required from the Thai embassy website.

That is a commercial website set up by a law firm. Look at the bottom of the page and you will see this." This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy. "

Can somebody confirm for me, if I need an insurance according to the Thai rules? I have 6 extensions of retirement, the 800K rule, after a NON-IMMIGRANT VISA, Category -B- (Business) from 2012.

9 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

Can somebody confirm for me, if I need an insurance according to the Thai rules? I have 6 extensions of retirement, the 800K rule, after a NON-IMMIGRANT VISA, Category -B- (Business) from 2012.

Certainly not. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

Insurance not needed since you have an underlying Non-B visa.   Only applies if your have a Non-OA visa from Christmas past that would be the foundation for your 6 extensions of stay.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Deerculler said:

Now there is talk about medical insurance being required for O-A extensions.

Does anyone really know or is this a lot of speculation and conjecture?

@DeercullerIt is not conjecture it is a police order. It is required.

0D254E3E-557B-4E12-9324-4E352F8F6060.thumb.jpeg.c416756e987737aaf00547c2e6dc679d.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy. "

OK. So does that make the information incorrect? It is coming from a law firm that helps people meet Thai visa requirements. I still have never been asked for for proof of 20,000 bhat per month. That requirement seems to come up on many posts a couple times a week. Still never been asked for a return paid in full ticket. One might argue if they are a law firm, taking your money to get you a visa, then they have even more to lose by giving out incorrect information. 

7 minutes ago, Onrai said:

OK. So does that make the information incorrect? It is coming from a law firm that helps people meet Thai visa requirements. I still have never been asked for for proof of 20,000 bhat per month. That requirement seems to come up on many posts a couple times a week. Still never been asked for a return paid in full ticket. One might argue if they are a law firm, taking your money to get you a visa, then they have even more to lose by giving out incorrect information. 

"It is coming from a law firm that helps people meet Thai visa requirements."

You seem a bit naive,and "law firm"?

Really? A law firm normally do other stuff than "helping people meet Thai visa requirements".

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

@moderator

the Nikkei Asian Review states in an article just today that it will be a requirement for all retirees in Thailand on any kind of one year visa.  So maybe more clarification will be needed.  

published 5 hours ago:

Tourism proves hazardous to Thai hospitals' financial healt

As of Oct. 31, foreigners residing in Thailand on one-year visas -- mainly retirees -- must have their own insurance.

Edited by WeekendRaider

47 minutes ago, Onrai said:

So does that make the information incorrect?

It means it is not a reliable source of information.

A lot the info on it is way out of date.

• Like 1