Non-O retirement extension and insurance

I said not long ago that I am confused.

It was said that medical was only required for those applying for O-A retirement visa in there own countries.

Now there is talk about medical insurance being required for O-A extensions.

Does anyone really know or is this a lot of speculation and conjecture?

The more people who post things on here and are only guessing make it very confusing.

Please, please state only facts.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

No , but some IOs might say yes it depends what kind of day they are having  if your like me you have 800,000 in the bank sitting around earning very little interest that you could always use as an emergency if needed.

"if you have 800,000 in the bank sitting around earning very little interest".

You can get 1,5-2% interest on a Fixed Deposit Account. That's more than the bank in my "home country" offers me. Even a savings account here is better than overseas. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

No , but some IOs might say yes it depends what kind of day they are having  if your like me you have 800,000 in the bank sitting around earning very little interest that you could always use as an emergency if needed.

And as soon as you use it, your extension is invalid.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You might. Depends on the province....and seemingly in some cases on which IO in the office. Where are you?

I read this forum every day for years and have yet to read of someone needing proof of insurance when extending a Non "O" visa.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thailand-tourist-visa.php

Here is what is required from the Thai embassy website. I would love to know how many people think it is accurate? Personally, I have never been asked for a round trip ticket paid in full. Never been asked to prove I had 20,000 bhat per month. I totally agree it depends on who you get, where you enter, possibly your appearance?? It is a gamble and I would be very surprised if I am the only farang that has escaped the basic visa requirements. 

As a further observation- (big generalization) but Thais are not really readers. How many book stores do you see in a city? Not many. I would suggest that a lot of the info. that is disseminated as memos may not be read, or has one IO that is assigned to read, interpret and communicate the info. to others. I am not trying to impunge Thai intelligence, rather they have other preferred methods of learning, one being extremely keen observation and memory skills.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

@moderator

Please close this thread, as the answer is crystal clear.

>> NO health-insurance needed for entry or extension based on an original Non Imm O Visa.

Oh come on, a lot of people are bored, they just like to bang away on their keyboards just reminiscing, duplicating what others have just said ....,. Why spoil the fun

• Haha 2

Most people are confused because there are so many types of retirement extension. If yours is a non-O and not non-OA, then you don't need any health insurance.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Onrai said:

Here is what is required from the Thai embassy website.

That is a commercial website set up by a law firm. Look at the bottom of the page and you will see this." This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy. "

9 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

Can somebody confirm for me, if I need an insurance according to the Thai rules? I have 6 extensions of retirement, the 800K rule, after a NON-IMMIGRANT VISA, Category -B- (Business) from 2012.

Certainly not. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

Can somebody confirm for me, if I need an insurance according to the Thai rules? I have 6 extensions of retirement, the 800K rule, after a NON-IMMIGRANT VISA, Category -B- (Business) from 2012.

Insurance not needed since you have an underlying Non-B visa.   Only applies if your have a Non-OA visa from Christmas past that would be the foundation for your 6 extensions of stay.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Deerculler said:

Now there is talk about medical insurance being required for O-A extensions.

Does anyone really know or is this a lot of speculation and conjecture?

@DeercullerIt is not conjecture it is a police order. It is required.

0D254E3E-557B-4E12-9324-4E352F8F6060.thumb.jpeg.c416756e987737aaf00547c2e6dc679d.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy. "

OK. So does that make the information incorrect? It is coming from a law firm that helps people meet Thai visa requirements. I still have never been asked for for proof of 20,000 bhat per month. That requirement seems to come up on many posts a couple times a week. Still never been asked for a return paid in full ticket. One might argue if they are a law firm, taking your money to get you a visa, then they have even more to lose by giving out incorrect information. 

7 minutes ago, Onrai said:

OK. So does that make the information incorrect? It is coming from a law firm that helps people meet Thai visa requirements. I still have never been asked for for proof of 20,000 bhat per month. That requirement seems to come up on many posts a couple times a week. Still never been asked for a return paid in full ticket. One might argue if they are a law firm, taking your money to get you a visa, then they have even more to lose by giving out incorrect information. 

"It is coming from a law firm that helps people meet Thai visa requirements."

You seem a bit naive,and "law firm"?

Really? A law firm normally do other stuff than "helping people meet Thai visa requirements".

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

@moderator

Please close this thread, as the answer is crystal clear.

>> NO health-insurance needed for entry or extension based on an original Non Imm O Visa.

the Nikkei Asian Review states in an article just today that it will be a requirement for all retirees in Thailand on any kind of one year visa.  So maybe more clarification will be needed.  

published 5 hours ago:

Tourism proves hazardous to Thai hospitals' financial healt

As of Oct. 31, foreigners residing in Thailand on one-year visas -- mainly retirees -- must have their own insurance.

Edited by WeekendRaider