To many entries and denied entry

As already pointed out, trying to enter Thailand with a history, on visa exempt, was asking for trouble. You might of got through with a visa, but doing so through a Bkk airport would of been risky too.

An Elite visa is your only safe option, but at 48 that's a lot of money for something you only really need for 1/2 years.

Other than that, it's entry by land borders until you're 50.

OP

exactly what entries you had fro sep 2018 to oct 2019 and in what order, you only get 2 land border voa's .

Did you have extensions on all entries, was it really only 1 setv ?

You likely get in in jan 2020 as the 180 day stay they assess you on refreshes 1st jan every year although exact visa history from your previous rather recent 13months mainly in thailand stay and luck on day going play on final outcome .
Reality is no one really knows exact answers as thai IO's at the airports and even some borders being very awkward at times and not following any exact rules or pattern .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeadFlagBlues said:

No disrespect to you, but that's terrible advice. 

This 180 days that people are quoting isn't real.  It's not part of immigration law,  and therefore, most definitely, does not refresh at the start of a calender year.  

It is real. It may not be law or regulation, but it’s the unofficial line in the sand IO’s use.

It not being law or regulation means it’s not a set limit and you can’t be denied entry specifically for exceeding that time, but they can still deny entry for another qualifying reason.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeadFlagBlues said:

This 180 days that people are quoting isn't real.  It's not part of immigration law,  and therefore, most definitely, does not refresh at the start of a calender year.  

Please don't take this as being argumentative - I'm just quoting what I was told when I went to the Immigration counter at BKK as I left a couple of weeks ago...........

180 days in a year and refreshing in January is exactly what I was told. It may not be part of the law but is appears to be what they are using - although you can't even rely on that. The I.O. I spoke to said, word for word, "It resets in January".

The OP appears to have stayed over a year with border runs so he should count himself lucky he wasn't denied long before now. That said, it would be much fairer and better for Thailand's image if instead of denying people they gave them a short entry, say 2 weeks and a warning. I was warned a couple of years ago after around 8, 2 week entries but that was a little different - I was married and I was told to get a Non O Visa.

On his next trip the OP should make absolutely sure he has a return ticket, cash and either a hotel booking or other evidence of where he will be staying. If he intends to stay with his girlfriend he should get a letter from her inviting him and a copy of a recent electricity bill for her house. Don't give them any reason to deny you under the rules.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

180 days in a year and refreshing in January is exactly what I was told. 

I'm sure you were told that,  and maybe that's the criteria that particular IO is using,  but it's most definitely not the norm. 

You only have to read the multitude of denial threads over the last few months to know that nobodys getting a clean slate come Jan 1.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeadFlagBlues said:

No disrespect to you, but that's terrible advice. 

If the IO thinks you've spent too much time in Thailand recently on tourist/ed visa's and/or visa exemptions, then you're done.  What exactly constitutes too much time is completely at the discretion of the IO. 

The 2 land border visa exemption runs per year refresh on Jan 1, as that is part of immigration law. 

180 days is referenced in the immigration act and been posted in image and links on here more than once.

You want quote me fully not just on the one line .

Also in Thailand rules are not totally important as no one follows them to a T and you don't get far quoting rules, what important is keeping track of IO trends .

Current trend is 180 days in 1yr (jan 1st to dec 31st) . 180 days and repeat almost back to back use of voa and setv and extensions is parameters they using .

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, DeadFlagBlues said:

I'm sure you were told that,  and maybe that's the criteria that particular IO is using,  but it's most definitely not the norm. 

You only have to read the multitude of denial threads over the last few months to know that nobodys getting a clean slate come Jan 1.

It not so much you get a clean slate but you have far more chance of mitigating circumstances in your favour entering in january 2020 over december if had lot of time in thailand during 2019 but how beneficial will also depend on exact previous visa and extension use hence why I asked for OP's 2019 visa usage details .

• Sad 1

It's a good idea to fly to Kuala Lumpur first . I think it's not necessary to fly to Vientiane unless your girlfriend live in northern Thailand. The only land border to avoid is Poipet. After your wedding you will be fine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

It is not. 

The trend is that IO’s look at the last year +, not Jan to Dec.

Yes it is

the time span is mentioned in immigration act, look it up, it been linked to several times on this forum, one post in last couple months had good detail and links on it .

current trend is 180 day tourism in 1yr calendar year, This even been pressed to regional consulates via immigration .

Edited by BuckBee

15 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

Yes it is

the time span is mentioned in immigration act, look it up, it been linked to several times on this forum, one post in last couple months had good detail and links on it .

I guarantee you it’s not. If you believe otherwise then post the section of the immigration act that states 180 days. But don’t waste too much time looking as you won’t find it.

15 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

current trend is 180 day tourism in 1yr calendar year, This even been pressed to regional consulates via immigration .

Nope. If a serial tourist spent 179 days in the country and left on December 31. No IO would ignore those 179 days if the person re-entered in Jan 1 and the IO felt they’d spent too long in the country for tourism.

• Like 2

It's a known fact that either BKK airport will give you grief with your previous travel history.. 

If travelling with a visa and entering via CM, I think the likely hood of being refused entry should be greatly diminished, looking at previous reports. But too many VE there, and you'll likely to be refused entry.. 

Do not fly into Bangkok, even transit, because you may need to clear immig again to board your forwarding flight.. Fly to KL, and take a new seperate flight to CM.. If refused you'll ONLY be sent back to KL and not to LHR.. Your visa will still be active, just then change your strategy and re-enter via land either from Malaysia or fly and enter via Laos.. Keep your min. 20k Thb or eqiv on hand, invitation from GF or hotel booking, outgoing ticket 60/90 days to anywhere outside Thailand.. Could be Vientiane and then use a land entry to extend your stay further.. 

4 hours ago, BuckBee said:

180 days is referenced in the immigration act and been posted in image and links on here more than once.

You want quote me fully not just on the one line .

Also in Thailand rules are not totally important as no one follows them to a T and you don't get far quoting rules, what important is keeping track of IO trends .

Current trend is 180 days in 1yr (jan 1st to dec 31st) . 180 days and repeat almost back to back use of voa and setv and extensions is parameters they using .

Which Section of the Immigration Act contains this "180 days" that you cite? I have read the Thailand Immigration Act of 1979 from start to finish on multiple occasions, and can recall no such reference.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuckBee said:

Yes it is

Your wrong and you can spend all the time you wish and will not find it. There was a regulation for about a year that was resinded in 2008 and no longer exists. it is sometimes refered to by IO's but no longer exists.

• Like 2