Dogs in the countryside--Do you just not wander after dark?

FawnsGhost

One of the worst I ever did was at like 11pm in Lopburi from near the station to my hotel about 600m away, but through no light railroad tracks shackdog country....two things are handy..

A monopod....or more commonly

A bottle sling with a bottle of water. Knock one of those fleabitten toothsters right out......

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Buncha dogs on a street corner in Surin, saw the Thai guy in front of me cross the street and so did I. If he would have kept going past the dogs I would have crossed the street anyway ????

35 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Go to one of the Thai markets and pick up one of these boys. Colt M1911 BB gun.

Scares the dogs but no harm done. But, as others have advised, don't be wandering the neighborhood alone at night. 

BTW, wild dogs live in Africa, what you experience is soi dogs gone bad.

image.jpeg.6ed5b66dde8060ed6020e8c33f486658.jpeg

I think this may be more effective in terms of both "fixing the problem" along with the TM30. Might be able to just pick it up too at a local market. ????????????

Shotgun.JPG

Edited by Solinvictus
  • Haha 2

Your correct to be concerned about dogs here, one of the truly sad aspects in Thailand, they have rejected animals that were domesticated and put them back on the street, poor animals have long forgotten how to take care of themselves! They become extremely territorial as a result!

I never go for a walk without at least carrying a stick, stones/rocks work as well.

There are more dogs than people where I live, most are a very sad sight! ???? 

Edited by CGW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, pikao said:

Have to disagree. Where I live there's a road where dogs ( about 10 ) lay down peacefully (lazy) during the day, but that changes dramatically at night. When you drive by on your bike they chase and try to bite you

No issue with the dog in my village. However they recognize the noise of some bike driven by people who tried to hit them before and they try to bite these guy anytime. 

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

However they recognize the noise of some bike driven by people who tried to hit them before and they try to bite these guy anytime. 

I know that and I'm not the guy who hits the dogs. Normally if dogs come after me (rarely happens) I slow down and talk to them. Works. On this road they attack me (have been only one time at night) and friends who live in this area that also don't hit them. The dogs just like it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

One of the worst I ever did was at like 11pm in Lopburi from near the station to my hotel about 600m away, but through no light railroad tracks shackdog country....two things are handy..

A monopod....or more commonly

A bottle sling with a bottle of water. Knock one of those fleabitten toothsters right out......

Monopod?

Is that the unheralded forerunner of the more commercially successful iPod?

A bit off topic... not too much

Being on Phuket in 1981 we stayed at Kata Noi Beach which by then had two accomodations. One on each extreme of the beach. First one consisted of two bamboo huts and an unfinished restaurant and the second one of about five huts.

In between was only beach and bush

The off topic : one day asking for a dish with chicken, the answer was : "Sorry, no chicken accident today". Still like it

Back to topic : walking the beach between the two resorts (day time, no people around...so nice, apart from this situation) out of the bush came this pack of savaged dogs.(Thais at this time would literally kick out dogs of restaurants and other places.) About 15 of them. In front there was the leader and they approached in plan of attack, obviousely.

So this piece of driftwood (solid branch) lying close came in very handy. Beating the ground hard with it in front of the leader did the job. They backed off

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Carry a bottle of water, anything appears squirt water at it, it will in most cases retreat. 

Either a bottle of water with some chili in it or perhaps a small % of ammonia. 

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and I don't go out at night that often. If I do it is in the truck or on the scooter. If dogs chase the scooter I turn round as though I am going to attack them and they always scatter.

There was one dog who used to lie in wait for me and I used to shout at it and chase it but after a couple of weeks it left me alone, and seemed to recognise the sound of the scooter and it ignored me after that.

The dogs in our village and surrounding villages are a real problem after dusk. These are not stray dogs and have owners,however Thais in villages seem to let their dogs roam about on the road in front of their property.

After dusk they will chase and bark and cause no end of problems to pedestrians and mortorbikes.

The owners do not seem to care about this.

One thing I miss about the UK is being able to go for pleasant walks in the countryside at anytime of the day.

Here you take a real risk especially at night. I used to go for walks during the day and carry a stick.However that will only scare the dogs that bark ,it will not be of much use to the dogs that do not bark but snarl and bare their teeth in preparation for biting.

• Like 1