Dogs in the countryside--Do you just not wander after dark?

FawnsGhost

My Daughter in law work for division of the Humane Society which try’s to find a home for dogs. I asked her what do they do when a dog gets aggressive. She said spraying with water usually they calm down.

We live in countryside just outside a village. In the daytime very rarely dogs bark at you. When it gets dark it’s a whole different story.

Riding the moto to see friends or family in village at night Dogs barking and chasing you like their out of control. I can ride my wife’s moto a Qbit and not get chased on any of the other three

bikes the chase is on. 

It scary I’ll admit... 

Buy a jigger or cattle prod, it will zap a dog enough to make him think again about attacking you. You can buy them on eBay with close to a metre long wand battery operated around $80

You can also use them on humans however you could get charged with man slaughter if you zap someone with a dodgy ticker.

On 11/19/2019 at 8:45 AM, BritManToo said:

They sense (or smell) your fear.

I'm never scared of dogs, and they never bother me.

Pick up a stick or rock, don't be afraid to use it.

Reminds me of Billy Connolly. He was doing a skit on dogs. One guy says to Billy 'the dog can smell your fear'. Billy replies 'I'm not surprised....I just shat myself.'

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2019 at 9:37 AM, BritManToo said:

Being 'on guard' is an everyday feature of life that many people have forgotten.

Makes you an easy victim, never a good idea to appear that soft.

Dude I swear sometimes you just spew that wisdom. 

I dropped my guard, got dipped, and lost three hundred bucks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Reminds me of Billy Connolly. He was doing a skit on dogs. One guy says to Billy 'the dog can smell your fear'. Billy replies 'I'm not surprised....I just shat myself.'

i think thats accurate. the only time dogs bother me is when i have shorts on. in other words when im afraid of them biting on the leg or calf from behind.

try wearing long pants???

I live in BKK, and last year considered buying a house up-country close to my wife's family.  The deciding factor to not do it ... was the dogs.  Period.  Full stop.  And you know what?  My wife agreed.

You're right packs of dogs can be a big problem country side. Even if it can be difficult to do, DON'T RUN, that just triggers the hunting mechanism. A good stick comes handy when they are very aggressive. Most of the dogs in Thailand have a bamboo stick experience so they will not come near you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, milys said:

You're right packs of dogs can be a big problem country side. Even if it can be difficult to do, DON'T RUN, that just triggers the hunting mechanism. A good stick comes handy when they are very aggressive. Most of the dogs in Thailand have a bamboo stick experience so they will not come near you.

just reaching towards the ground like your picking up a stone works most of the time, even if there is no rock there. but many just back off when you do this, and will tru to sneak up behind again when you turn to walk away.

best thing to do if no weapons or sticks on the side of road or anything throwable (very rare) is to act like your picking up a rock, then walk backwards until the dog retreats back to its own territory.

if the dog keeps following you when you do this or gets closer as you leave, thats a vicious animal and you need to find a weapon asap, but dont run, just keep backing away slowly until you see a weapon somewhere on the side of the road.

remember if that dog nips your getting multiple rabies shots with the big needle so dont risk an attack unless its a vicious guard dog type which is rare for them to be running free though some properties and businesses let them wander unleashed around the property and they will try to attack as you walk by.

Edited by fhickson
  • Like 1

I live in rural Thailand and people don't walk down quiet streets at night. There are too many annoying dogs. I'm not scared of them, but I'll go by motorbike even if it is only 500 metres.

It's one thing I do miss about Australia, the ability to walk around anywhere and not be hassled by dogs.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You really think that carrying an illegal weapon around in public is a way to ensure one's safety?

I don't think people should be armed in public. That's no way to ensure safety.

That being said, there is some imbalance in the laws and practices of most countries in regards to dogs and weapons. Where I live I often see young women walking around with huge pit bull type dogs. The dogs often weigh about the same as the owner. There is no chance in hell the young woman can physically control the dog if it wants to attack someone. The rest of us just have to hope the dog is reasonable. I compare it to girls walking around with muscular 100+ kg boyfriends who are high on drugs and have a machete duct-taped to one hand. We all just have to trust that girl's judgment in walking around with that guy. 

So, basically, having a weaponised animal in public is fine. But if I have as much as a 10 cm knife on me in public I get fined. Or worse. The only way for me to legally achieve some kind of power balance is by getting another of those truly horrible animals for myself. Or a tiger. I don't believe in that kind of an arms-race. 

The dogs running around Thailand are not any kind of indigenous species that were there before humans. It's not like we're encroaching on "their" land. Some selfish people just put them there and let them loose. Like burying anti-personnel mines.  

• Like 1

lets admit it, a lot of this dog problem is because many thai men are wussies...

when theres no alpha around, the dogs grew up that way. fill in the blank here.

goto vietnam or russia where men have a strong alpha role and you dont get problems with things like stray dogs.

• Confused 1

On 11/18/2019 at 6:09 PM, JWRC said:

Dogs don't change their habits just because it's nighttime, they will still jump out of bushes during the day. The fear is in you, the only thing to fear,  is fear itself.

Take to carrying a stick, it might help you beat off human attackers as well.

This is the only truth.

No dog will attack you if you talk to them first !

Become the Alpha in your territory, and all the Dogs will know who you are, and where you stay.

Just get a old milk jug, and pee in it for a day.

Then use it to mark your territory, along the boarders of your home, drive, property corners.

Also watch where the Dogs mark around your property, and always remark over them.

Do this every day for a week, then once a week or two after.

Soon you will notice that all the Dogs Know you, and where your Home is.

They will regard you as an Alpha to respect, and part of the local pack.

• Confused 1

On 11/18/2019 at 11:54 PM, BritManToo said:

I always bend down and pick up a rock or stick, dogs are gone before I straighten up.

Only works with one or two. If it's a pack we are in trouble.

In the village I was at the internet shop till after dark, and thought I'd walk back to meet my wife. About 5 minutes later I was in absolute fear of my life as every dog along the street was out to get me. They were locked in the owners compound, which is the only reason I'm still here to write this.

My wife gave me a right bollocking for being stupid enough to go walking, which I deserved.

6 hours ago, WhatupThailand said:

Become the Alpha in your territory, and all the Dogs will know who you are, and where you stay.

Then use it to mark your territory, along the boarders of your home, drive, property corners.

Also watch where the Dogs mark around your property, and always remark over them.

Great idea. But what can I do if don't have an old milk jug? ????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WhatupThailand said:

Do you mark your territory all, the way to the supermarket? That only works where you live. I rode a bicycle. I carried a piece of plastic water pipe and stones. I did try to smash the <deleted>s with the pipe, but they always ran away. I'd even chase them back to their owners who didn't care their mongrels were terrorising people.

12 hours ago, fhickson said:

lets admit it, a lot of this dog problem is because many thai men are wussies...

when theres no alpha around, the dogs grew up that way. fill in the blank here.

goto vietnam or russia where men have a strong alpha role and you dont get problems with things like stray dogs.

In Vietnam they eat the beggars. Pity they stopped the dogs being shipped to Cambodia. That kept the problem under control.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WhatupThailand said:

Do you know what an "alpha" dog is? It's the meanest toughest dog that can defeat the rest. Unless you are prepared to fight the dogs for supremacy, all you are doing is peeing around your territory.

The dogs I encountered left me alone because my big piece of water pipe could beat them before they got close enough to bite me. Had I been unarmed, I'd have been just another target to bite.

35 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Vinegar in the eyes is pretty effective, not that I ever had to do that, as the ones I encountered ran away when I got the pipe out.

A longtime housebreaker said in a report on TV that he sprays ammonia in the direction of the nose of the dog and this will give him enough time to do his job inside the house without getting annoyed by the dog. 

On 11/21/2019 at 9:33 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you know what an "alpha" dog is? It's the meanest toughest dog that can defeat the rest. Unless you are prepared to fight the dogs for supremacy, all you are doing is peeing around your territory.

The dogs I encountered left me alone because my big piece of water pipe could beat them before they got close enough to bite me. Had I been unarmed, I'd have been just another target to bite.

Yep, I know what "alpha" Animals are.

If you scare or fight off the alpha, all the pack will run.

Could be, The dogs you encountered left you alone because you peed your pants ?,

after which they recognized who you were.

Of course not to discount your weapons, which are wise to carry.

Most animals will avoid territory you have marked, seen this with Bears, Pumas, Wolfs,

and other critters, while camped in a Colorado Mountain Wilderness, Even with food supplies hanging from a nearby Tree. 

Edited by WhatupThailand
add point

5 minutes ago, WhatupThailand said:

Yep, I know what "alpha" Animals are.

If you scare or fight off the alpha, all the pack will run.

Could be, The dogs you encountered left you alone because you peed your pants ?,

after which they recognized who you were.

Of course not to discount your weapons, which are wise to carry.

Most animals will avoid territory you have marked, seen this with Bears, Pumas, Wolfs,

and other critters, while camped in a Colorado Mountain Wilderness, Even with food supplies hanging from a nearby Tree. 

Totally agree, i'm guessing he peep his pant and perhaps a little nugget too from slot #2

Not much to add but Mrs Baan and I like to walk. This time in Northern Phuket and went for a few km day walk down to a wharf on the water between the mainland.

Along the way a few bunches of dogs. One lot of 4 came at us and remember clearly that feeling, a rush of adrenaline came in an instant. Weird sensation and seemed like a flash coming from centre though to extremities.

We had sticks and maybe that's why they backed off but damn scary. We carry bigger bamboo sticks now ????

Right near the wharf a huge dog came at us within a metre barking at us and it backed off. Later the owner came out smiling at us.

Haven't walked that route since and found one with dogs behind fences.