Thai central bank chief says 'very worried' about strength of baht

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I have read many newspaper reports over the years. Money is flowing to safe haven such as Japanese Yen and Thai baht because of trade war between China and USA etc.

You can google all those articles yourself.

so it has nothing to do with the large current account surplus and the trade surplus.  

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

so it has nothing to do with the large current account surplus and the trade surplus.  

There are many factors involved in a country's currency and not just one.

If you take Economics 101, of course it does depend on trade surplus but other factors not written in Economics textbooks come into play (so-called unwritten rules).

There is also the factor of demand and supply from financial speculators with huge money and investors.

34 minutes ago, EricTh said:

There are many factors involved in a country's currency and not just one.

If you take Economics 101, of course it does depend on trade surplus but other factors not written in Economics textbooks come into play (so-called unwritten rules).

There is also the factor of demand and supply from financial speculators with huge money and investors.

Um I’ve got an undergrad and post grad economic qualifications.

Please explain these ‘unwritten rules’ you speak of that I didn’t learn in those (clearly) 6 years of wasted study.

33 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

Ladies and gentlemen have a look at the attached graph to get a glimpse of where the Thai baht could go to. If you think it’s strong now....look to where it’s been in the past. A wise man once said “to know the future study the past”.

605CFCFC-885B-47F1-B37D-D8C8D29DA068.jpeg

And a even wiser one said "Past performance is no guarantee of future results" but I'm also sceptical of technical analysis... 

Come on guys, give him time, not all the Elite have sent their money offshore yet, then the baht will come down, then the Elite will send their money back  home. this could happen just in time for Songkran festival!

My plans to retire and live in peace with my family in this "cool" country is vanishing on the daily bases.

It's no longer what it used to be, the good days are over and even tourists are aware of it. 

If Thailand ratifies the CRS and OECD tax reporting initiative, the Baht will normalise in about 15 minutes, so quickly the demand for Baht will fall. 

They have made a calculation, that the country is somehow better off as being non-compliant to CRS/OECD reporting, because it will attract vast capital from complaint countries, looking for safe haven. 

Interestingly Thailand is the ONLY significant country (apart from the US) taking this position. 

Archived