How to get started with running in Bangkok

snoop1130

I would not run in Bangkok. Or do any extended physical extertion outside whatsoever.

Firstly, your respiration rate will increase and you will breathe more deeply, so you are likely to suffer more seriously the physical effects of unhealthy levels of PM 2.5 and the rest. Certainly not in air quality which is over 100 US AQI, which let's face it, is most of the time.

Secondly, the outside temperature most of the year round is going to do you in...

Get a gym membership. 1000-2500 baht a month and you can cycle/run on treadmills in a nice air conditioned environment.

37 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

All of the Bangkok Hashes are generally an hour run give or take 10-15 minutes.  The circle doesn't last longer than the run.  You can almost always catch a taxi if you don't want to stay longer or perhaps a ride with someone else who is leaving.  There isn't any pressure to drink more than you feel comfortable with.  If your cup/glass/mug is half empty someone might offer to fill it up for you but you can always decline.  All hashes worldwide are different, even those in the same city.  I know that in my home country I don't hash as I don't find it very appealing at all.  

Thanks for that.  I'm not dissing the Hash but as you say, some of them are great sport and others- not so much.  Glad to hear the Hash in BKK is well run.  

Correcting what I said earlier, I actually went to 2 Hashes in Tianjin because the first one was so bad that I thought it had to be a fluke.    Nope- the 2nd was even worse.   That was probably 10 years ago and hopefully, the torch up there has been passed to a different group of leaders not so intent on getting everyone (especially the cuties) drunk.

11 hours ago, soistalker said:

That is not what experts say. They say running in that level of pollution is counterproductive to health. You are actually hurting yourself by running in that <deleted>.

Don't let idiots who choose to run in pollution to stop their running. They want to soak in the PM2.5 particles deep into their lungs and die early. It's their right and choice to do so.

20 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Who in Thailand follows laws anyway? Laws and rules are only suggestions.

i understand, laws don't mean much.  but in this case, if you don't stop running when the music starts, i guaranty someone will make you stop.  they take it very seriously.

50 minutes ago, buick said:

i understand, laws don't mean much.  but in this case, if you don't stop running when the music starts, i guaranty someone will make you stop.  they take it very seriously.

I've never seen anyone stop any clueless foreigners who keep on walking while looking around stunned why nearly everyone else in the park has come to a standstill.

On 11/19/2019 at 11:24 AM, Tropposurfer said:

Sounds like this person isn't a runner, maybe a jogger lol. Only silly people run in the middle of the day, unless your acclimatised and know you can handle heat from experience. All serious, regular runners usually run early mornings, while children and others are asleep or just stirring. As for mosquitoes you'd have to run like a very slow geriatric to get bitten. If you run, actually run instead of shuffle then no way you'll get bitten by mozzies (well, maybe before you start to run and when you stop you'd be carried off for a feast) ... lol

Sounds like you haven't read the article.

As an aside, the author just ran a 1.24 half marathon and is training for a 100km run shortly.

Archived