Drone in Vietnam

CNXexpat

I want to visit Vietnam for 2 or 3 weeks and want to take my drone (DJI Mavic Pro) with me. In the internet I found a lot of different information: "it´s allowed, it´s not allowed, I need a permission from the Ministry of Defense (what´s impossible to get), it´s not 100% legal but nobody cares, in Da Nang it can happen that they confiscate the drone till you leave, etc."

Anybody has experiences from this year?

No experience there, but i can tell you that some (many?) international airlines won't allow you to bring a drone on board, so that's another issue. 

Got refused on British Airways before, wasn't a battery issue - was simply a not allowed to bring drone on flight thing. 

Check: for vietnam laws itself: https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-vietnam/

Be careful.  Vietnam is nice but many countries are anti drone....I would ask if its worth the trouble...and for you perhaps it so, but it is your choice.  Good luck.  Choose the path of least resistance....

Edited by mike787

• 2 weeks later...

Many world over are aware of drones having camera systems onboard and in Thailand at least, it could get you in hot water especially if it is not registered as such before hand.

If I were you, I'd be inclined to check with relevant authorities before hand and forget chat forums.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

Many world over are aware of drones having camera systems onboard and in Thailand at least, it could get you in hot water especially if it is not registered as such before hand.

If I were you, I'd be inclined to check with relevant authorities before hand and forget chat forums.

Wise advice.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 7:24 AM, jack7106 said:

Would definitely not be a career move, you have enough interference by the police taking photos in the general public and of governmental buildings????????‍♂️????????????

^^^^This. I know people who were taking photos of government or Party buildings and were threatened with confiscation of their camera or ordered to delete images. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have been traveling in SEA with my DJI Mavic 2 Pro for the past months.

I would highly recommend to check governmental registration before going there, best months ahead.

Especially in Vietnam, authorities can be quite harsh. The problem is that you almost never receive an answer to you application to fly there.

I can confirm, that Danang Airport is a dangerous place for your drone. I met people who had their UAV confiscated, others were able to keep it although landing/leaving from there.

A pretty good idea of how flying a drone in Vietnam feels like is given here: https://www.drohnen-vergleich.de/drohne-vietnam

It is in German, but you can use a translate tool. It's a worthy read.

BR and safe travels!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...