Why you want to come live in Thailand?

Yinn

24 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The weather.

The laidback lifestyle.

Cheap food, travel, internet and utilities.

The beautiful scenery.

The magnificent temples.

And a certain young lady who caught my attention ( not you Yinn ????).

Anyone from the UK can relate to this I think.

Yep sums it up fairly nicely...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Still cheaper than the house you have to pay for strictly rationed sex in the UK.

Didn't cost me anything "85 to "92 because I didn't have any girlfriends at all after I was ripped off by my partner. The price was too high. Only started again after I left  to work in Saudi and discovered LOS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

I came here on holiday and fell in love with the place 15 years ago.  I have traveled to many countries around the world and there is no one quite like Thailand.

Of course there are some very bad things here like everywhere else.  However, on balance my life is much better here than it could be anywhere else in the world.

I like the weather

The food is the best 

Most people are very friendly and welcoming into Thai life

I like the culture and how there are not so many petty laws affecting your daily life like there were in the UK.

I like the scenery, countryside, beautiful temples.

I like the wildlife, exotic plants and animals, even the geckos and snakes. 

I don't like some of the culture of the Hi So upper class.  I also don't like the corruption and way that rich people can buy their way out of anything and are above the law.  However, that is similar in the UK, you just need a lot more money lol.  The immigration and visa is also a bit stressful sometimes, but these days it is much better than it used to be in Chiang Mai.

Am in total agreement, and my love affair with Thailand began in 1985.

• Thanks 1

To be able to retire 12 years earlier, build a big house for 1/10th of the cost that it would cost me to build it back home, and the cheaper cost of living of course.

What I didn't expect was.................oooops that's another story, so before I get told to go back to my homeland by a certain person, (no names mentioned), best I refrain from starting to list what I didn't expect as there isn't enough room on TVF.

All jokes aside, good with the good, bad with the bad, we all make our beds, plan B in the bedside draw ????

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

Two different questions, Two different answers.

I've always been a bit of a nomad (gipsy blood), and when I retired at 55 I wanted to experience a different way of living, a completely different culture, my wife didn't share my dream so I put my rucksack on my back and went exploring. It was easy for me to rule out many countries as I'd previously visited them, or countries like them.

Having had a lifelong interest in Buddism (I'm not a Buddist but appreciate the philosophy) South East Asia seemed a good place to start. Over the next year or so, I explored every Buddist country in SE Asia (+Malasia, yuk!). I judge all countries, primarily, by their people and on that basis loved every country I visited, finally settling on Cambodia. I met a girl there and lived there for almost a year. It was too primitive for me, I like the good things in life and found Thailand to be the most "Westernised", shopping malls, nice restaurants, etc. Brought the girl to Thailand but she hated it, we both knew that she would never leave Cambodia and I couldn't spend the rest of my life in Cambodia, so we separated and I came to Thailand alone.

Eventually met a beautiful, divorced Thai lady with a 2 year old son., more "Jai Dee" than you could possibly imagine. The rest is history and I've finally put roots down here. Loving the people, loving the food, loving the weather, loving my life (not lovingf the government 555).

Fantastic story and you stayed for all the good reasons. Have a very similar one myself, and have finally found the perfect loving wife and created a family togheter. I wish you continued happiness in your life. ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Left the UK in 2003 after being made redundant twice in 2002 from 2 good, well-paid jobs with better than good severance packages. Wanted to work in Japan to explore the culture but ended up in Wuhan, China for 2 years. I felt at home and relished the everyday challenges from getting money out of the bank in less than 3 hours to having a decent haircut! I knew then I'd retire somewhere in Asia, and in a warmer climate..

I married a Chinese lady and we returned to Scotland for 5 years but she (and I if I am honest) could not settle there. When we divorced amicably she returned to China and I worked my a@@e off managing to retire about 8 years ago. Volunteered 5 years in Cambodia and started to holiday in Thailand several times a year. I still miss Cambodia but am now very happily married and enjoying the quieter village lifestyle. My health has also benefited enormously from the move. No plans to leave unless I can't eventually comply with immigration. Plan B is back to Cambodia.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I paid not to wake up with someone looks like my old granny. Happy to do so.

No chance at all in home country unless super rich.

My wife in the UK is 10 years younger than me and certainly doesn't look like my granny 555.

Played no part in my decision to leave the UK.

2 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Thats not happy ending its full service!

Really? but I've never had anything less than these two options as I couldn't be happy without...

But maybe you are right, some 15 years ago a GF told me "darling love isn't only about penetration"... now reading your post something is dawning..

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Yinn

You are going to be shocked by what I write here.

1. The number one reason for single men is sex. They can have cheap sex in Thailand offering massage and happy ending.

2. The number two reason is to find a Thai wife to marry because back in their home country, they can't get beautiful girls to marry them but in Thailand, farangs are being worshipped by certain Thai girls.

3. The number three reason is low cost of living. Prices in Thailand are cheaper than in western countries and also western currencies are much stronger.

4. Thailand is a Buddhist country and many farangs avoid Islamic countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Pakistan , Middle East etc.

1 to 3 certainly don't apply to me. 4 was a factor as I'd lived in a Moslem country previously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

It's less and less inviting now compared to 20 years ago.

This will be the last generation of retired expats (in considerable numbers)

You not answer the question.

why YOU decide to chose THAILAND? Many country can go.

3 hours ago, geronimo said:

I wonder if the OP (Yinn) has ever been to other countries. Would love to know her opinion of the UK, for example.

I go Malaysia, Vietnam, Laos and Nepal already.

Try to go to Australia see my friend after uni finish, but the Aussie embassy take my money and then refuse the visa. But they allow Patong sex worker to go, no problem!!! Stupid.

i not go to UK, but will take a look Europe in the future and UK. Will be very cheap because the baht strong. Think will go Korea and Japan next. Europe when have opportunity long holiday.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I go Malaysia, Vietnam, Laos and Nepal already.

Try to go to Australia see my friend after uni finish, but the Aussie embassy take my money and then refuse the visa. But they allow Patong sex worker to go, no problem!!! Stupid.

i not go to UK, but will take a look Europe in the future and UK. Will be very cheap because the baht strong. Think will go Korea and Japan next. Europe when have opportunity long holiday.

They only refuse a visa if you don't meet their requirements/guidelines. Obviously you did not. The Patong sex worker was most likely sponsored by bikie gangs as most others are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1