Why you want to come live in Thailand?

Yinn

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

Didn't want to come to live in Thailand.

On holiday here in 2000 I met a lady and felt in love. 

I thought it was going to be easy : she will join me in Belgium and we will live there long and happy.

Except she didn't want to leave her country. 

So here I am since 19 years, with her. 

Very similar story  for me.

• Like 1

Came here because of work. 

Moved away because of work.

Moved back because of work and friends.

Stayed because I met my Wife and we married here.

(Its either stay here with my Wife family and friends nearby, or back to the UK with my family nearby to support my wife while I'm away working a lot).  

----

Longer story - came to Thailand at 22yrs old with work (stayed for 6 yrs) 

Moved back to the UK worked there for a couple of years (same industry), 50% tax bracket too high.

Moved back to Thailand (Bangkok) to avoid tax, as a central point for my work (in S.E Asia at the time - same industry on rotation 4x4 weeks) and as I'd previously made loads of friends (Western and Thai).

The reason I stay, I still have those same friends, I'm now married, and have a child, Thailand is still a central point for my work (now Middle east - rotational 4x4 weeks). 

Bangkok has a couple of excellent Schools (Patana), travel to meet friends for a beer is cheap, but BKK is getting more expensive - there's a good network of friends and expats. 

----

The things which pi$$ me off here, also pi$$ of every Thai person.

Living here has taught me I can have an opinion without it impacting my life. 

Reading Thai visa.com has taught me some people just complain at everything without balance while others seem to find it impossible that people can have a valid negative opinion and still be here (the if you don't like it go home comment springs to mind). 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Malaysia. Only go KL. When we tell taxi driver, hotel worker etc we from Thailand they say “oh love thailand. Is paradise”.

Not same thailand, not have there own music. They listen to western music.

is ok place. Food quite good.

Laos. I like Laos. Sabai sabai. And Yinn feel like am very tall person there! They very short people. Friendly. Food same Issan.

Vietnam. Is nice for holiday. Hanoi nice city, the lake, not to big. Ha long bay beautiful place. Nice people, look a bit serious more than Thai people. Have there own music. Quite good. Food ok. 

Nepal I like the most. Except Lumpini, where Buddha born, not so good there. Nice people. Food soso.

Agree on everything. I liked Vietnam the most. I have been to Saigon 3 times. Food good, people great. I found them even more friendly than Thais.

• Like 2

After 5 years working in the Legal/Medical field at home, I wanted a break. I had some contacts over here, so thought I would spend a year recalibrating. 5 jobs, and 4 companies later, here I still am. As long as I am moving forward at a similar speed to what I would hope for at home, I will stay. As soon as I feel I am stagnating, or heavens forbid, sliding backwards, I will leave.

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

Previously you claimed to live in Australia.

Slip of the tongue?

Never say that. Never live there. Never go there. Sure.

maybe you dream it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand must have one of the best weather patterns of the planet, and the graciousness of the weather reflects on the nature and the people, which is mostly gracious, easy going and well mannered.

Yes, i know, there are negatives like everywhere, but here i am just answering the question in the OP.

Edited by mauGR1
  • Confused 2

I originally came here to work for one year in order to up my teaching resume. I was an ESL teacher back home and wanted to be able to say I had taught in another country. After my one year in Thailand was finished, I taught one year in Korea and then returned to my country, but missed the magic of Thailand and then returned and have been here many years. I have enjoyed my time here, but everything has a cost and the cost for me was not earning a solid retiremement. 

Unfortunately, when I am too old to work I will have to leave because I will not have enough income to qualify for a retirement visa; I will not even come close. Meantime, I will stay as healthy as I can and enjoy it while I can.

• Like 1

I retired in the US and brought both my sons to Thailand to see how it was. One son didn't like it and returned to the US. My other son has decided to go to the local University to obtain his Bachelor Degree in Science. Which is a total cost of only 480,000 baht ($16,000). Cost in the US for same degree is over $84,000. So plan to stay here in this awesome country and then return to US where my son, with his degree, and he can obtain a job that starts off at $70,000 a year. So that is the main reason why we are staying in Thailand.

Having done my background reading it appeared that: 1). age was not a detriment, age was evidently traditionally respected 2). White skin was valued as being reflective of not working in the fields as many poor do 3). Occupation is valued in the social status 4). a steady income speaks well of being socially trustworthy 5). a traditionally Buddhist country. OK, a lower cost of living and I do have an attraction to the traditionally raised Thai female (it is like stepping back into the time I was raised). What was not too love?! I made two monthlong trips in 2009 and again in 2010. I traveled, learned a bit about some potential cities and decided to retire here in 2011. Other countries considered were the Philippines, Ecuador, Panama. Thailand it was ...

Stupidity brought me here but sorted it out..... Living in NE in countryside like the country and most the people . Body likes and

functions better in hot weather....  I’m staying as long as I can. 

When do finally leave I hope it’s up in smoke....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've worked hard for the last 36 years in oz and knows the time to enjoy my life.

#1 it`s the people of Thailand who make it special.

#2 the cost of living away from the tourists hot spots is brilliant.

#3 the main reason most men leave for the land of smiles is the love of a good Thai woman.

#4 the weather.

5 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I retired in the US and brought both my sons to Thailand to see how it was. One son didn't like it and returned to the US. My other son has decided to go to the local University to obtain his Bachelor Degree in Science. Which is a total cost of only 480,000 baht ($16,000). Cost in the US for same degree is over $84,000. So plan to stay here in this awesome country and then return to US where my son, with his degree, and he can obtain a job that starts off at $70,000 a year. So that is the main reason why we are staying in Thailand.

A degree from one university is not equivalent to a degree in another university.

Look at the rankings of the universities in the world. In western countries, the exams and projects are much tougher.

I noticed that in Thailand, an average Joe can enter university and it's just a continuation from secondary school where spoon-feeding is the norm. 

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1