Brit tourist tells of Thai prison terror after beaten inmate died in his arms

webfact

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few facts regarding the cells and conditions in IDC, Bangkok

1. The cell is run by prisoners, many of them are political refugees waiting for visa to their preferred countries. The room leader is actually a very kindhearted person who helps the inmates every way he can.

2. The cell is about 100m2 and you lie on a blanket on the cement floor. 
3. There are many cells but the cell I’m talking about is where they keep the “normal” westerners.

4. You don’t get out before you have a place to go and money to pay the heavily overpriced ticket.

5. You get chicken or fish once a week (Sunday’s) but if you have cash you can buy better food.

6. The nationalities and number of people is written on a whiteboard inside the cell

6 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Wow.  You sound like a hardcore right-wing Tommy Robinson supporter!  Fortunately, you're in the minority.

You sound like an ultra left Clinton supporter. Tommy Robinson is not hard core right wing, he only looks that way to certain lefties.

9 minutes ago, ttrd said:

The question is why should he need to be locked in together with gangsters and terrorists when all he has done is to overstay his visa ....??....

There is a difference by law between a minor offense and a serious crime - even in Thailand ...

My understanding of this 'facility' is that it only serves 'customers' who overstayed their visa (if any), not gangsters or terrorists.

I met this piece of garbage in Facebook pleading for help! Tried sending me money, but it failed every time! Sent him some money, but every time you'd call him he'd be in a girly bar!

Total piece of sh**

And no one died in his arms! What a liar!

Scumbag 

3 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

My understanding of this 'facility' is that it only serves 'customers' who overstayed their visa (if any), not gangsters or terrorists.

Not entirely true. Prisoners released from prison stays here as well until they can get deported to their home countries. The men behind the Bangkok bombings stayed in the cell as well. I think we can agree on that they are terrorists

4 hours ago, bobbin said:

Yeah yeah..

Propaganda rag.

Panama Papers. Edward Snowden. NSA surveillance.

And Pulitzer Prize!

None so blind as those that will not see..

As you state quite corectly the Guardian does publish some excellent stories. However in general it is a far left propaganda paper, much like the BBC is a far left tv news outlet.

3 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Try reading some actual facts instead of rags like the Mail and the Sun... here is a better idea, how about trying to find out what causes immigrants to flee their countries? Cos only idiots think it is about free stuff

I don’t know about the UK but it’s been established that in Australia many were “ economic refugees “

Last year a number who had been granted temporary protection visas were found to have been visiting the country they had allegedly fled out of fear

Well first of all it smacks of trying to sell a story to the media with the obligatory ' hard done by face ' in the photograph.

Next, Sending a Moneygram to Thailand with funds and it " goes missing " without further comment from him, suggests to me, (and I might be wrong), he told his ' girlfriend ' the code probably because he trusted her,and then waltzed off and withdrew the cash and disappeared. He has remained tight lipped on where this alleged cash went if it ever existed.

Next, why would you get a one way ticket to Thailand in any event? A return is usually a cheaper option. Sounds very odd.

Going to court and getting the fine and a short spell in Nong Palai is standard and not worthy of mention, Also, losing your possessions whilst incarcerated. By the sounds of this story and state of his funds, he had very little worthy of stealing.

Neither would the Embassy state that you would only be held for around ' two weeks ' as they know full well that you are held until you can raise the funds for your flight home from friends and relatives.

Only in extreme cases, such as severe hospitalization or terminal illness would they step in on humanitarian grounds if the FCO agreed.

Nong Palai is a low category prison and a remand prison for those on short sentences. I find it hard to believe he was locked up with 150 Thai gangsters and murderers! Most of the Thais iN there are kids on drug sentences for buying, selling and using drugs, petty theft,robbery etc

You do get criminals on serious charges sent there for remand purposes for the convenience of them attending court.After sentencing,  they are dispersed to various prisons around the country such as Rayong, Klong Prem, and on occasions Bang Kwang, depending on their sentence.

These prisons are higher category prisons with higher security classifications.

No comment on the US citizen passing away, that is a sad situation and RIP to the poor gentleman.

I do agree with posters here that the brutal way the Thais treat over stayers in IDC and on remand in local prisons is a disgrace by international standards for what is, a civil offense. I am sure if the flip flop was on the other foot, they would be screaming to high heaven about human rights.

However, their country, their rules.

26 minutes ago, sambum said:

“There were people from 47 different countries."

Well, I suppose he had time to count them all! ????

Not that hard ... :thumbsup:

With ref to post #116

6. The nationalities and number of people is written on a whiteboard inside the cell

34 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Maybe he should be put of Thai tv to warn other foreigner over stayers and criminals to turn themselves in. Sorry the guy is a criminal no sympathy from me. Thousands more like him in Thailand

"Criminal"....? ????

21 minutes ago, Deveroxx said:

I met this piece of garbage in Facebook pleading for help! Tried sending me money, but it failed every time! Sent him some money, but every time you'd call him he'd be in a girly bar!

Total piece of sh**

And no one died in his arms! What a liar!

Scumbag 

he should make a film about his time in a Thai jail call it midnight express 2 haha

1 minute ago, Odisan said:

Thank-ee m'lud, hook-line-and-stinker. Off to the colonies with 'im...

Yep, when I read "looks like a criminal", I had to go look in the mirror just to make sure I didn't, but I fink I do....................????.............????

2 hours ago, bannork said:
2 hours ago, atyclb said:

on that obituary .  why would he ask that question if he already knows?

Kai isaacs

says

Hello. Did Rickey pass whilst in the IDC in Bangkok?

Yes, looks like he got caught lying on the 'dying in my arms' claim. 

unless someone posing as him posted that?   rather odd he would sabotage himself by doing that

10 minutes ago, atyclb said:

unless someone posing as him posted that?   rather odd he would sabotage himself by doing that

Possibly, but the post was from 2 months ago, so well before it hit the press, someone would need to be forward thinking to do that!

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Wow.  You sound like a hardcore right-wing Tommy Robinson supporter!  Fortunately, you're in the minority.

Where as you sound like a molly coddled lefty snowflake Corbyn loving social incompetent - lucky youre in the minority too as the upcoming election will prove!!

4 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Leaving the EU would not reduce the number of illegal immigrants/refugees by one. EU doesn't and never has controlled UK immigration policy. Just another fallicy projected by Brexiteers.

Yes it has - just like its trying to control Poland and Hungarys now - please go and read something!!

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

Hardly surprising though. When I was born there were only 3.5 billion people on the planet, now there are 7.3 billion 40 odd years later, more people = more stuff / houses / demand for services. What do you suggest, selective genocide of those who are different? 

No try selective national borders though that would work if snowflakes like lefty Steptoe Corbyn and Lilly Allen didn’t keep running crying to Calais!!

4 hours ago, jonclark said:

I prefer countries that just put people first. We are after all, all exactly the same.

No were not - I dont plant bombs in other peoples countries or falser claim social security payment in the hundreds of thousands for 4 wives and 28 kids - stop being a snowflake!!

The real question is; How is it possible for the world to accept the inhuman way prisoners are treated in Thai prisons. This is 2019 

I know they are criminals, buy still also criminals are human beings and should be treated as such not as animals 

18 minutes ago, bizboi said:

Where as you sound like a molly coddled lefty snowflake Corbyn loving social incompetent - lucky youre in the minority too as the upcoming election will prove!!

anyone care to post the american semantic equivalent of that?

Archived