Sim cards & data prices.

racinkc1

Hello. Im planning on being in Chiang Mai by new years. My question is, should my new living situation not provide wifi, what are my options pertaining to tethering my lap top to a new cellular device or a Samsung tablet I have? I am an online student and really need wifi. I ask because Im considering renting one of these dirt cheap spots that may or may not have internet. Im bringing a Samsung tablet that Id be happy to get a new sim card for, but Im also willing to by a new phone if I have to... I spend a lot of time online so I would want unlimited data. What are my options and prices? Thanks for any help provided. 

Its unlikely you'll need to get a new phone. 

If you have a UK phone there will be places which should be able unlock it and you can use a local SIM and use your phone as a hotspot. Using your phone as a hotspot can be relatively expensive. 

Other options are to use a 'pocket wifi' especially if you want a faster connection. 

https://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/product/detail/3208/4G_pocket_WiFi?ln=en

With the knowledge of how much data expect to use per month, visiting a Thai Telecoms shop (True, AIS, DTAC) will give you a good idea of what solution would best suit you depending on your usage etc - there are plenty of pre-paid options. 

On 11/18/2019 at 7:50 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Its unlikely you'll need to get a new phone. 

If you have a UK phone there will be places which should be able unlock it and you can use a local SIM and use your phone as a hotspot. Using your phone as a hotspot can be relatively expensive. 

Other options are to use a 'pocket wifi' especially if you want a faster connection. 

https://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/product/detail/3208/4G_pocket_WiFi?ln=en

With the knowledge of how much data expect to use per month, visiting a Thai Telecoms shop (True, AIS, DTAC) will give you a good idea of what solution would best suit you depending on your usage etc - there are plenty of pre-paid options. 

The pocket wifi seems like a good option. You think it will be cheaper than tethering?

7 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

The pocket wifi seems like a good option. You think it will be cheaper than tethering?

In theory it costs the same (besides the cost to buy the extra pocket wifi device), but if you walk into a store and buy a pocket wifi with a data plan, you can be sure that you will pay too much for the data plan.

Just buy a plain sim card (49 THB or sometimes free), top up some money and book one of the packages which you can find online. Currently for example the 10mbps offered by all providers is a good option, see this thread for more details:

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

In theory it costs the same (besides the cost to buy the extra pocket wifi device), but if you walk into a store and buy a pocket wifi with a data plan, you can be sure that you will pay too much for the data plan.

Just buy a plain sim card (49 THB or sometimes free), top up some money and book one of the packages which you can find online. Currently for example the 10mbps offered by all providers is a good option, see this thread for more details:

Thanks a million!

Archived