Bangkok ranks 12th on list of cities with the worst air

webfact

Bangkok ranks 12th on list of cities with the worst air

By THE NATION

800_4e31f8e1fe42781.png?v=1574128606

The Air Visual application reported on Tuesday (November 19) that Bangkok’s air pollution level according to the US AQI standard stood at 136, with PM 2.5 level at 57.8 micrograms per cubic metre (µg/m3), making it the 12th on the list of cities with the worst air in the world.

Air Quality Index (AQI) is a standard that indicates the quality of air and level of pollution. Level 0-50 means good air quality, 51-100 means moderate quality, 101-105 will start affecting sensitive groups, 151-200 is slightly harmful to health, 201-300 is highly harmful and 301-500 means extremely dangerous level.

Meanwhile, the Pollution Control Department (PCD) reported that air quality in Bangkok and its perimeter is currently hovering between moderate quality to starting to affect health.

The Thai safety limit for PM2.5 is 50 micrograms per cubic metre of air while the safety limit for AQI is 100.

The PCD also reported fine PM2.5 particulate dust higher than standard at 27-53 µg/m3 on Din Daeng Road in Din Daeng district and in Krathumbaen district in Samut Sakhon.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378488

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-19

Gotta tell ya, you can laugh all you want at cheap Charlies who can't afford to live in Thailand anymore, but Da Nang is starting to look like a legit long term destination now. 

Absolutely rotten, filthy place this is. 

5 hours ago, Pravda said:

Gotta tell ya, you can laugh all you want at cheap Charlies who can't afford to live in Thailand anymore, but Da Nang is starting to look like a legit long term destination now. 

Absolutely rotten, filthy place this is. 

Da Nang is not what it's cracked up to be. I was there in October. The city itself is not a patch on Bangkok. Everything has become very expensive in the last 5 years because they are catering for Korean and Chinese tourists. I would say Da Nang is more expensive than BKK now. Many Korean and local men roaming and hanging around the streets at night. Not many girls to be seen. No way would I live there. If BKK is too polluted move either to the North or South of Thailand

8 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Yeh, it sucks balls.  Wait, I thought you were talking about Sydney......????

I noticed Sydney is 13th worst for today the 19th . This is obviously only today's pollution levels . I'm surprised to see BKK is worse than Sydney , because the bush fire smoke along the entire NSW coast ( Sydney being in the middle of it ) has broken the air pollution record  . Elderly people and people with asthma etc have been advised to stay home . Visibility is barely 100 yards . I can't imagine that anywhere could be worse than this . 

I have apartments in both SYD & BKK. The air quality in BKK worries me everyday, it is horrendus in the dry season. It is better in wet season though when rain clears the sky most days. Sydney is more or less pristine if the bush is not alight, amazing air quality for a city of 5 million.

Ironically Sydney is 13th  (data taken on November 19)  in the grip of the worst bush fires in a long time and it is still better than BKK. 555

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/the-most-polluted-cities-in-the-world-ranked/

Not according to CBS News and WHO.

Sacramento had the worst air pollution of any major city on earth in November. The report identified Anderson, California, an area 150 miles outside Sacramento, as the city with the worst air pollution in 2018.Mar 5, 2019

So pick your source on who you want to believe.

And unfortunately with this administration, most things are going backwards. This is especially true with air quality. Absolutely nothing is being done. Less than zero. 

So, it is likely that the air I Thailand is going to continue to get worse. Get the best air filters you can for your home. Really industrial grade units.  

That is if you plan to stay. 

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And unfortunately with this administration, most things are going backwards. This is especially true with air quality. Absolutely nothing is being done. Less than zero. 

So, it is likely that the air I Thailand is going to continue to get worse. Get the best air filters you can for your home. Really industrial grade units.  

That is if you plan to stay. 

Any recommendations on the best air filters?

On 11/20/2019 at 11:28 PM, Onrai said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/the-most-polluted-cities-in-the-world-ranked/

Not according to CBS News and WHO.

Sacramento had the worst air pollution of any major city on earth in November. The report identified Anderson, California, an area 150 miles outside Sacramento, as the city with the worst air pollution in 2018.Mar 5, 2019

So pick your source on who you want to believe.

I knew something was fishy when Sacramento was listed lol.  I live a few hours away and remembered what was going on in NorCal in November 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Fire_(2018)

The largest fire to happen in California...  I remember breathing all that smoke in when the wind blew it into the Bay Area.

The air quality is normal when there isnt the largest California fire occurring. 

5 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Any recommendations on the best air filters?

I use one called an Austin Air Healthmate Jr. in the US. Impossible to find here. Extremely effective at removing pollutants and particulate matter with it's massive filter. It is all about the size and quality of the filter itself. The top end Samsung units are decent. Always have them pull out the filter for an inspection. If it is a really basic little thing do not bother. The six stage filters are more like it. Good ones start at 12,000 baht and go up from there. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I use one called an Austin Air Healthmate Jr. in the US. Impossible to find here. Extremely effective at removing pollutants and particulate matter with it's massive filter. It is all about the size and quality of the filter itself. The top end Samsung units are decent. Always have them pull out the filter for an inspection. If it is a really basic little thing do not bother. The six stage filters are more like it. Good ones start at 12,000 baht and go up from there. 

I've seem the Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 2S recommended a few times on this forum and on Youtube as being decent. What's your thoughts on this one? From the videos on Youtube it seems decent in removing a lot of the indoor pollution and seems to cost about 3k baht so it's way less than the 12k mentioned above. Can't remember how many filters it has.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That one seems to have four filters when I did a Google search:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=ghvdXa6eLdLgrQH7nruIBA&q=Austin+Air+Healthmate+Jr.+how+many+filters&oq=Austin+Air+Healthmate+Jr.+how+many+filters&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30l2.4520.6999..7108...0.2..0.139.1874.0j16......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0j0i8i67j0i22i30j0i333.CDbb2fEVYJU&ved=0ahUKEwiu556o8YfmAhVScCsKHXvPDkEQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

18 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I've seem the Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 2S recommended a few times on this forum and on Youtube as being decent. What's your thoughts on this one? From the videos on Youtube it seems decent in removing a lot of the indoor pollution and seems to cost about 3k baht so it's way less than the 12k mentioned above. Can't remember how many filters it has.

Perhaps if you had 25 of those units in your home. It is what I was referring to as rinky dink. An effective air purifier requires massive filters. I have spoken to scientists and pulmonologists about this. 

When it comes to the respiratory system it is not about saving money. 

Archived