Jump to content

Thailand's Resorts Now More Expensive Than Europe's


Recommended Posts

On 11/19/2019 at 6:48 AM, bangkokequity said:

It is startling that you could live in Thailand for two decades, and not understand the Thai impost tariff / tax policy.  Or ... even the simple fact that all over this world, countries impose tariffs in protectionist policies.  Do you have access to a newspaper, or the internet?  Seems to be a front page issue ... ROFL. 

Yes, I'm well aware of such things, Although I'm not a fan of the guy, Mr Trump makes some good points on such things. For example, if one buys a Rolls Royce car in Thailand there's a 300% import duty.

As Trump rightly points out, imported cars from the US to the EU attract a 10% tariff, whilst US cars imported from the EU attract only a 2.5% tariff.

I'm aware that, for example, grated cheese attracts a lower tariff into Thailand than solid cheese!😀

For many years the EU used the excuse of antibiotics in Thai seafood as a way of keeping it out of the EU market.

So yes, I'm fully aware of the things that you think I'm not aware of.

Edited by Andrew65
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Exactly, but for one thing, I'm not really into Thai food.

Me neither, but there's hardly any English/America/Mexican food I can't cook using Thai produce.

Nobody forces you to buy 'ready meals' from Rimping/Tops et al.

Edited by BritManToo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just using the deoderent cost as a comparison.

Flats are available in London N9 for as little as £100 a week, less than what I pay in Worcester.

 

Are you living "in the sticks" in Thailand? You never brought that house in BKK for that price, even several years ago?! DOH! Comparing sticks prices with the capital! Where is that house, Nakhon Nowhere?

Also, I wouldn't want your family, and I also wouldn't want to buy someone else a house, even for £14k.

Edited by Andrew65
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Me neither, but there's hardly any English/America/Mexican food I can't cook using Thai produce.

Nobody forces you to buy 'ready meals' from Rimping/Tops et al.

Rarely eat ready meals.

Also, you can buy imported pork sausages more cheaply than locally produced Yorkies sausages.

Tesco UK potatoes 30p/KG

Tops Thailand potatoes (locally produced) 45 Baht/500g
 

Like for like, cost being the issue.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Also, you can buy imported pork sausages more cheaply than locally produced Yorkies sausages.

Tesco UK potatoes 30p/KG

Tops Thailand potatoes (locally produced) 45 Baht/500g

Sausage skin and minced pork is cheap.

Potatoes are 30bht/Kg in Makro, even thought it isn't really a Thai food product.

 

Tops is a luxury store aimed at whitey, whom is known to pay premium prices for everything.

Tesco UK is a store aimed at working class people.

There's no like for like in any of your comparisons.

Edited by BritManToo
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sausage skin and minced pork is cheap.

Potatoes are 30bht/Kg in Makro, even thought it isn't really a Thai food product.

 

Tops is a luxury store aimed at whitey, whom is known to pay premium prices for everything.

Tesco UK is a store aimed at working class people.

There's no like for like in any of your comparisons.

Tops isn't a "luxury" store, depending on where you come from.
Potatoes are grown in Thailand, so they're a Thai product. They're 30 Baht in Thailand, 30p in the UK, still nearly 3 times the price. That's about as like for like as you can get, and not because they're imported.

There's plenty of like for like, just that you don't like it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...