Chiang Mai: Chinese tourists in Loy Krathong rebellion - claim "disgraceful" rip off by Thai company

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Went to a Kan Toke dinner at a cultural  village where the food was rubbish,

I was sent to one of those my first week in Chiang Mai.

Left after 5 minutes, didn't need to wait for the food to know it was awful.

Half Moon bar in Moonmuang Soi 2 was much more fun.

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

Welll, good. Now they have no reason to come back. lol

As much as I do not like how some of the Chinese tourists behave, I do not hope they will stop coming. The economy is bad enough as it is. I feel sorry for small business operators who would suffer without the money coming in from tourists.  

Looking at the video the anger seems justified.

As so often, the Thais don't understand that the customer is king. The Chinese understandably don't want to look at some old idiots holding flowers.  

I see it all the time here...Thai #1, paying customer #2 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Chinese tourists in Loy Krathong rebellion - claim "disgraceful" rip off by Thai company

This is outrageous and the nation's unblemished reputation is at risk. Any Thai(s) accused of cheating, scamming, insulting, angering, failing to respect, or in any way displeasing Chinese visitors...should be immediately arrested and extradited to China for punishment. .

Just now, Emdog said:

Good for the Chinese not putting up with this sort of treatment. Plenty of people bad mouth them, here is an opportunity to praise them.

Sadly, the bad-mouthing is well deserved. That aside, nobody deserves to be deliberately ripped off.

Years ago, Chiang Mai was such a beautiful and romantic city. Food was nice and cheap, people were kind and polite, traffic was light and most important the weather was good. I used to strongly recommended friends to visit this place. The city is getting uglier by the day where urban planning is lacking. It will be a sad day when the old Chiang Mai charm is destroyed. In a matter of a few more years, all this will be for the the worst if Thais don't realise it. Many of my Thai tour guide friends commented that the standard of their tourist itinerary by some companies is often <deleted>. There is no effort to spruce things up in terms of safety and clean environment. The nostalgia of Lanna culture, thai street food, rural living experiences  has in many ways become too commercialize and over rated. It was a wake up call, when Thais travel overseas such as Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, etc to see the high standards of services, clean environment and safety for tourist. Prices are fairly displayed and you get what you see. Some of these cities (expensive by world standards) are still value for money as they are not exorbitant, when comparing the GDP of each country. Be surprise that many local thai commodities are overly price, when we compare the ratio of Thai wages to some of these countries as mentioned. What happen to Thai pricing??????????????

the commissions paid to the many parties involved on these excursions do not allow a decent budget for the actual activity.
e.g. chinese guides now demand for 50% commission on jewelry shops (normally 30%) so prices go up for everybody.

I thought it was interesting that the Chinese tourists made major issue out of it.  There’s a good chance something may come of this.  

If this happened to a bunch of farangs, most would have been too polite to say anything.   Those that did turn to social media to express their outrage would be called stupid by the expat community and it would just get marked up as another Thai scam and would become an annual tradition.   

2 hours ago, simtemple said:

The Chinese know that the Thai are habitual thieves and liars. The good news is that they are happy to let everyone know. Great news also for the Philippines Ministries of Immigration and Tourism.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-10/13/c_138468496.htm

Everything gets lost. 6 years ago I was on Boracay the last time. A bad experience. 25 years ago it was a great place for young people with a great easy atmosphere. I stayed there many months and enjoyed every single day. But the last time I was happy when I left. 

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Dhamma Centre in MaeJo have done this special tourist fiasco event every year.

Problem this year, they weren't allowed to release Khom Loys on the 'VIP' day.

The free event for the locals, which used to be amazing and where all the 'advertising videos' were filmed, hasn't happened for 2 years now.

Great video. Do you know what burned down on this day... ????

9 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Everything gets lost. 6 years ago I was on Boracay the last time. A bad experience. 25 years ago it was a great place for young people with a great easy atmosphere. I stayed there many months and enjoyed every single day. But the last time I was happy when I left. 

There is over tourism and commercialization in many places. The world is changing. A lot more people nowadays can afford to travel. Many of them are from lower classes, so there sometimes is a certain lack of education. The environment gets more and more polluted. Many places get internationalized and are looking similar all over the word. Travel to any big city in the world and you will see the same brands and shopping malls.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Dhamma Centre in MaeJo have done this special tourist fiasco event every year.

Problem this year, they weren't allowed to release Khom Loys on the 'VIP' day.

The free event for the locals, which used to be amazing and where all the 'advertising videos' were filmed, hasn't happened for 2 years now.

It was amazing before.. Glad I went then.. 

Just symptomatic of how downhill so many of these things have become in a blatant money grab. 

This is going to cost the government billions in free stuff and advertising just to get 25 percent of the Chinese back.  The more wealthy Chinese don’t travel in these groups-they set themselves up.  There are so many negatives now, it’s not looking good at all for Thailand 

sounds like a hileriouse evening, great fun, a lantern caught fire, complaints and insults coloured the air and then a riot, cheap at the price. They probably got a packed lunch of cheese sandwiches and they really did get everything you need to know about Thai culture

There were so many beautiful events for free. Unfortunately the lantern release was allowed only one day. But I enjoyed Loy Krathong a lot. This video I have taken with my phone: 500 dancing ladies and a beautiful parade.

But I understand the complaining Chinese. Someone thought he can make easy money with the Chinese and doesn´t expect that the Chinese go public.

Well that's another billion plus potential tourists who are going to see this on the news and possibly think about not visiting Thailand. Then next month the TAT will release a drive to capture the Indonesian tourist market. Or the Mexican tourist market. Soon there won't be any countries left.

Archived