Duo-citizenship staying too many days in Thailand in the past 2 years

Hi guys, i would like your input here, especially if you have 2 passports...

I have been staying in Thailand for the majority of my time in the past 14 months with maybe only 6 weeks away from the country. 

I mostly entered via bkk airports and enter by rotating my Canadian(visa-on-arrival) and then Taiwanese(tourist visa) passports. I haven't had any problems until last time entering donmueang the IO realized i have 2 passports and one i overstayed for about 2 hours.

The IO flagged me down. Asked a supervisor to pull me aside and entered my both passports info and input some sidenote into the system then he let me go without any warning or anything. 

Now my plan is to fly back to BKK next week with a tourist visa on my Canadian passport. Am i likely to run into trouble.

Both my passports show that i haven't stay in the country all that long but since the IO can see i have duo citizenship on the system am I likely to get denied entry as immigration seems to get stricter??

39 minutes ago, Lisztian420 said:

Both my passports show that i haven't stay in the country all that long but since the IO can see i have duo citizenship on the system am I likely to get denied entry as immigration seems to get stricter??

But, You just wrote that you stayed 14 month and only been away about 6 weeks during that time? Right?

You must understand that your passports are linked togheter by your indentity, face and fingerprints in the biometric system. That means it is what both your passports show togheter that your possible entry is going to be based on. Not what shows in one of the passports.

It doesn´t matter what passport you are going to use. There is going to be a big chance that you are taken aside and might be denied entry. On the other side, you might ask yourself a classic Clint Eastwood quote changed to fit Thai Immigration: Do you believe you have been staying to many days in the country, or is there one chance left? You have to ask yourself. Do you feel lucky, punk?

Just a joke full of coke ???? Good Luck, man.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Your question is a good one. keep us informed as to what happens. Can you please clarify one point. Are you just using visa exempt entries all the time, or are you entering with a visa?

I use visa exempts for Canadian passport while with the Taiwanese i get SETVs to enter. Up until last August IO never gave me any problems except i overstayed with my Canadian passport by 2 hours when i left Thailand in August. So 2 weeks later when i returned(Aug), they asked me to show them my Canadian passport while i entered with SETV on my Taiwanese Passport.

They never harrassed me for having and entering with 2 alternate passports.

During that time, My Thai girlfriend was with me then, so she talked to the IO supervisor and he asked me for the ticket stub for the 2hr overstay trip then input something in Thai on the system and let me go shortly after. He never warned me on anything or wrote/stamped any warning on my passports.

Edited by Lisztian420

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

But, You just wrote that you stayed 14 month and only been away about 6 weeks during that time? Right?

You must understand that your passports are linked togheter by your indentity, face and fingerprints in the biometric system. That means it is what both your passports show togheter that your possible entry is going to be based on. Not what shows in one of the passports.

It doesn´t matter what passport you are going to use. There is going to be a big chance that you are taken aside and might be denied entry. On the other side, you might ask yourself a classic Clint Eastwood quote changed to fit Thai Immigration: Do you believe you have been staying to many days in the country, or is there one chance left? You have to ask yourself. Do you feel lucky, punk?

Just a joke full of coke ???? Good Luck, man.

Thanks. I think i will need some good luck indeed. It was more like past 13 months and ~120 days 2019 on Canadian passport. I am planning to enter next week with the Canadian passport. This time I'm thinking about getting a SETV to increase my chances.

So if i do get pull-aside by the supervisor there's still a chance they will just gimme a warning and let me go?? Damn. I hope I am super lucky>.<

Edited by Lisztian420

19 minutes ago, Lisztian420 said:

So if i do get pull-aside by the supervisor there's still a chance they will just gimme a warning and let me go??

If you go with a SETV your chances get better, but truthfully they sound very slim. Yes, there is always a chance that they will let it slide with a warning. ???? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lisztian420 said:

I use visa exempts for Canadian passport while with the Taiwanese i get SETVs to enter. Up until last August IO never gave me any problems except i overstayed with my Canadian passport by 2 hours when i left Thailand in August. So 2 weeks later when i returned(Aug), they asked me to show them my Canadian passport while i entered with SETV on my Taiwanese Passport.

They never harrassed me for having and entering with 2 alternate passports.

During that time, My Thai girlfriend was with me then, so she talked to the IO supervisor and he asked me for the ticket stub for the 2hr overstay trip then input something in Thai on the system and let me go shortly after. He never warned me on anything or wrote/stamped any warning on my passports.

How did they realise that you have two passports? Have they fingerprinted you when entering and/or departing the airport yet and if so, which passport were you using when they fingerprinted you?

Especially interested in knowing this as you seem to be asian or asian-looking with also a Western passport. Want to know if they treat asians better who hold Western passports as opposed to all the reports we read of Westerners on Western passports having issues or being denied entry.

Edited by bbi1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How did they realise that you have two passports? Have they fingerprinted you when entering and/or departing the airport yet and if so, which passport were you using when they fingerprinted you?

Especially interested in knowing this as you seem to be asian or asian-looking with also a Western passport. Want to know if they treat asians better who hold Western passports as opposed to all the reports we read of Westerners on Western passports having issues or being denied entry.

I am not sure about this... I think it really depends on the individual IOs bias. I asked my Thai friends and they all seem super optimistic about my situation and they just say I look like a well-mannered, friendly & wealthy Chinese guy(although not wealthy) so should be fine, but truth is they don't think too much about this and why would they?! 

But they do say certain groups of people are more likely to get denied... 

Edited by Lisztian420

46 minutes ago, Lisztian420 said:

I am not sure about this... I think it really depends on the individual IOs bias. I asked my Thai friends and they all seem super optimistic about my situation and they just say I look like a well-mannered, friendly & wealthy Chinese guy(although not wealthy) so should be fine, but truth is they don't think too much about this and why would they?! 

But they do say certain groups of people are more likely to get denied... 

Did you get fingerprinted at all when entering or exiting Thailand? A few people on this forum have said that switching passports can't be done anymore but it seems you have managed to do it all fine until the last recent time where they matched your passports.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Did you get fingerprinted at all when entering or exiting Thailand? A few people on this forum have said that switching passports can't be done anymore but it seems you have managed to do it all fine until the last recent time where they matched your passports.

Yes I did. Ever since the biometrics system was up and running everyone has to be scanned going in/out of Thailand. I have gone through it 5x already with  both passports.

So it seems this time I will definitely get pulled over and rather I would be denied or not really just depends on my luck?? 

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Edited by Lisztian420

10 minutes ago, Lisztian420 said:

So it seems this time I will definitely get pulled over

So you are scared that you will be rejected entry and you want our input, if i understand correctly. Because "definitely, this time they will pull you over."

My only input to you, is that it's "dual", not duo.

But I am confident you are aware.

Edited by lkv
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Ur right! Nothing is definite. Scared, a little. Not gonna poop my pants though. But it would suck for sure...

On a different topic, let's say I was denied entry....Anyone know if it's ok to go to the lounge while waiting for return flight or I will have no choice but to stay in the detention room? 

@Lisztian420 Thanks for creating this thread. My understanding is that, in itself, having two passports is not a problem, a surprising number of people have more than one. Of course, now that they are linked, your cumulative history will be considered, and the usual limits will apply. You mentioned that you have not not been in Thailand all that long on either passport, so, you should be fine.

Incidentally, some very strange people occasionally try to hijack threads here in a nonsensical way. It is a form of trolling but they are careful not to say anything that will get them banned. I am not quite sure why they do this, I suspect drink or some form of mental trauma may be involved. Don't worry about it, always the same small group of oddballs, ignore them, everyone does, you are under no obligation to respond or get tangled up in an argument with them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sallecc said:

If it's cumulative, then I suppose he shouldn't be fine?

Ah, I was interpreting his sentence "Both my passports show that i haven't stay in the country all that long" as meaning that, cumulatively, he was still under the notional six month maximum, but reading his post again I see that he said "I have been staying in Thailand for the majority of my time in the past 14 months with maybe only 6 weeks away from the country".

So, yes, you are right, he is likely to have a problem, especially if entering via the Bangkok airports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sallecc said:

If it's cumulative, then I suppose he shouldn't be fine? (they will add all days together, from both passports, because it's one same person)... And answer to OP from his last question, I'm afraid it's detention room (not lounge), check other reports ???? As others suggested, get SETV, fly to KL and then Laos to land border, that should be safest bet (still not 100% safe of course).

Sorry I wasn't very clear. Thanks for clearing it up with Donacha. Your discussion & info provided is super valuable for people in my situation. 

OK it is culmative then. I gotta decide which passport to get SETV on... But there's no guarantee even if I get a visa... 

Is bkk really the strictest?? I wonder is it worth it for me to first fly to chiangmai instead of bkk...

I wonder if anyone with dual passports(thanks lkv) which passport would u chose if u were in my boots? 

I would rather fly in then taking a car just to get turned back...

Edited by Lisztian420

6 minutes ago, Lisztian420 said:

Sorry I wasn't very clear. Thanks for clearing it up with Donacha. Your discussion & info provided is super valuable for people in my situation. 

OK it is culmative then. I gotta decide which passport to get SETV on... But there's no guarantee even if I get a visa... 

Is bkk really the strictest?? I wonder is it worth it for me to first fly to chiangmai instead of bkk...

I wonder if anyone with dual passports(thanks lkv) which passport would u chose if u were in my boots? 

I would rather fly in then taking a car just to get turned back...

I'm sallecc ????

According to all the reports, both BKK and DMK are to be avoided at all cost...

ChiangMai (and Pattaya?) are less risky, but CM had few reports too, just few.

Least risky is land border... (according to reports)

About passport, not sure... maybe choose one with less Thai stamps? (of course they will see all entries in their computer, but maybe will get less annoyed when they do passport flipping thing lol)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lisztian420 said:

Yes I did. Ever since the biometrics system was up and running everyone has to be scanned going in/out of Thailand. I have gone through it 5x already with  both passports.

So it seems this time I will definitely get pulled over and rather I would be denied or not really just depends on my luck?? 

Hopefully you will be fine and have no problems. Let us know how you go when you enter Thailand again and which airport.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sallecc said:

According to all the reports, both BKK and DMK are to be avoided at all cost...

Least risky is land border... (according to reports)

About passport, not sure... maybe choose one with less Thai stamps? (of course they will see all entries in their computer, but maybe will get less annoyed when they do passport flipping thing lol)

With your tourist history, nothing will guarantee entry when once again arriving as tourist or visa exempt.

But if you are prepared to take the risk, land-borders (except Poipet) are your best bet.

Not only are your chances of still being allowed in higher than at airports (and surely BKK or DMK), but when rejected you can simply walk back into the country where you entered, and then consider your options.

Denied entry at airports means detention and flying back out where you came from.  Flying in from a neighboring country is better than flying in from Canada (but if you are lucky, you are allowed to chose the destination you want to fly to and buy a ticket for that flight).

Hope it works out well for you.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Lisztian420 said:

Absolutely, if you can find any way to do that. From your description of your visit history, Chiang Mai should be about 10x safer, even despite the most recent reports.

If flying from America or Europe, a good trick is to land in one of the regional hubs outside Thailand, such as KUL, HKG, SIN. Then catch a short, cheap flight on a budget airline to Chiang Mai. Depending on the time of year, you can also fly directly into Chiang Mai from Qatar Airways hub at Doha.

The side benefit of flying from a regional hub is that, if you are rejected, you are not forced to buy an expensive last-minute long-distance ticket back. You can get a short, cheap flight to KUL or wherever and work out your next move.

19 hours ago, sallecc said:

The reports are worrying, but the overall attitude in CNX has always been so much better. My guess is that the IOs there are simply more aware of how dependent their region is on tourism, whereas the Bangkok IOs see themselves as the frontline shock troops for a proud new Thailand that would be better off without Westerners. I am hoping the recent scattering of reports from Chiang Mai do not indicate the beginning of the same trend throughout the rest of the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I have been staying in Thailand for the majority of my time in the past 14 months"

"Both my passports show that i haven't stay in the country all that long"

Does not compute. You have basically been living in Thailand for more than a year on tourist visas. Yes, there is very much a possibility of encountering trouble.

• Thanks 1

Good luck on getting in.

Just thought i'd mention, if you get in this time, and I assume there will be a next time, you may want to consider an alternative visa, more suitable to your circumstances. If you don't fit the mainstream non imm O categories, the Elite would cost you, but solve your problem.

The alternative is continuing to play Immigration Roulette.

• Thanks 1