Extension of stay (marriage): How long does it typically take?

I am planning to get the extension of stay based on marriage soon but have concerns about the timeframe of getting it done.

I am currently on a Non-O based on marriage (multi entry) and plan to go out of the Thailand for new year, returning on New Year's Day.

Ideally I would like to apply for the extension of stay on this 90 day entry as it will likely be my last before my Non-O visa expires.

However, I plan to go back to the UK at the beginning of March.

Is there enough time for me to apply for the extension of stay and have it approved before the beginning of March?

I will be using the Jomtien immigration office and I have read elsewhere that they allow people to apply for it within the last 45 days of the validity of a permitted stay, rather than 30. If this is the case, it means I can begin my application around 15th February, which will be 45 days after I entered the country (1st Jan), with 45 days remaining on my country entry stamp.

Can anyone advice how long it typically takes for this all to be processed, assuming all the paperwork is in order? If I apply around the 15th Feb, could I expect it to be done by the first few days or March? 

Any info would be helpful - particularly if someone has specific experience with doing this at Jomtien

26 minutes ago, drh1010 said:

If I apply around the 15th Feb, could I expect it to be done by the first few days or March?

That´s very optimistic. I do not know the exact timeframe for Jomtien, but normally they allow 30 days for the application to be approved. However, the only thing I´ve heard is that mostly people have to wait over that time. But, then again. Somebody using this office will be more qualified then me to answer. ???? 

they only allow you to submit your application the last 30 days of your 90 days.  My IO recommend that me and my wife come in before the 30 days starts so I make sure we understand what is needed.  You do need to submit 2 copies of everything.  One for the IO and one that is submitted to Bangkok.

You apply which takes some hours depending on the immigration office and then wait 30 days under consideration. You go back to imm after 30 days to get the extension stamp in your passport.

Quite an easy process actually.

Edited by userabcd

When will be your next entry after your departure in March? What might be feasible is to apply for an extension just before your departure, get a re-entry permit, and return before your under consideration period ends.

In general, you highlight a common issue those with frequent overseas travel have with marriage extensions. When you can apply is not very flexible, and you must be around in the period from around 28-40 days after the application for the extension is submitted. Note that the report back date (typically 30 days after you submit the application) does not mean the extension will always be granted on that date as: sometimes regional headquarters approves the extension late.

1 minute ago, userabcd said:

Quite an easy process actually.

It wasn't easy for me. It took the best part of 7 hours to get it done despite me having everything as recommended by the kind people on here. They wanted more copies of everything, plus there was quite a long period of them grilling my wife on literally everything about me.

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

When will be your next entry after your departure in March? What might be feasible is to apply for an extension just before your departure, get a re-entry permit, and return before your under consideration period ends.

In general, you highlight a common issue those with frequent overseas travel have with marriage extensions. When you can apply is not very flexible, and you must be around in the period from around 28-40 days after the application for the extension is submitted. Note that the report back date (typically 30 days after you submit the application) does not mean the extension will always be granted on that date as: sometimes regional headquarters approves the extension late.

I plan to return around 10 days later. I wasn't sure if you were allowed to leave the country once the application has been submitted. 

One issue is that the last date for entry on my Non-O is the end of February, so the visa won't be valid when I try and return in the middle of March

@BritTim do you know if this would be possible...

Return to Thailand on 1st January and get a new 90 day permit of stay on my Non-O multi Entry

Apply for an additional 60 day extension at the very beginning of March (when I have 30 days remaining on my entry) - which will see my permission to stay extended until End of May

Get a re-entry permit for when I want to leave around March 4th

Come back to thailand in middle of March

Get another re-entry permit for when I want to leave around Songkran time.

Return to Thailand end of April

Begin application for Extension of stay based on marriage at very end of April/start of May.

2 hours ago, drh1010 said:

@BritTim do you know if this would be possible...

Return to Thailand on 1st January and get a new 90 day permit of stay on my Non-O multi Entry

Apply for an additional 60 day extension at the very beginning of March (when I have 30 days remaining on my entry) - which will see my permission to stay extended until End of May

Get a re-entry permit for when I want to leave around March 4th

Come back to thailand in middle of March

Get another re-entry permit for when I want to leave around Songkran time.

Return to Thailand end of April

Begin application for Extension of stay based on marriage at very end of April/start of May.

I can see no reason why this approach would not work perfectly fine.

My experience is all at Chiang Wattana, so your mileage may vary,

but:

1. I have submitted 30 days before my current extension expired with no problems.

2. I always get a stamp to return in 28 days (exactly 4 weeks) later and I return on that day. Always got my extension on that day. (Many people say 30 days, but it was always 28 for me.)

3. On one occasion, I left Thailand during the 28 day period, but was careful to be back on the 28th day. Be sure to get a re-entry permit AFTER you apply or you will start all over again!

Good luck!

2 hours ago, donmuang37 said:

My experience is all at Chiang Wattana, so your mileage may vary,

but:

1. I have submitted 30 days before my current extension expired with no problems.

2. I always get a stamp to return in 28 days (exactly 4 weeks) later and I return on that day. Always got my extension on that day. (Many people say 30 days, but it was always 28 for me.)

3. On one occasion, I left Thailand during the 28 day period, but was careful to be back on the 28th day. Be sure to get a re-entry permit AFTER you apply or you will start all over again!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info!

So you can leave the country after starting the application? For some reason I thought they kept your passport

Ive just realised that this is exactly what @BritTim suggested earlier

That looks like the best solution for me. I can enter Thailand at the beginning of January, start my application at the beginning of March then leave and come back a week or to later.

After submitting the application is there any chance I will need to still be in Thailand? I read somewhere that they come and take photos of where the applicant is living and speak to the neighbours etc.

1 hour ago, drh1010 said:

After submitting the application is there any chance I will need to still be in Thailand? I read somewhere that they come and take photos of where the applicant is living and speak to the neighbours etc.

There is nothing to prevent a trip out during the under consideration period. However, it would be prudent to let immigration know your plans at the time of the application.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 12:28 PM, ivor bigun said:

Sorry cant answer you ,but has anyone a list of what Jomtien"actually" wants for a first marriage extension as well , 

ps i have a yellow book is that of any use when applying ,i have always had the retirement visa in the past .

This is the list from Trat and i know no two IO are the same but this is quite a comprehensive list and can not see anything more they could possibly ask for. 

Hope this helps. note number 14 ????

IMG_1417.thumb.JPG.c1c4e97490a6f12510599274a0b5a772.JPGIMG_1418.thumb.jpg.1bc6fdce44a703da4f2ca447b591e001.jpg