Re-entering under an OA visa in its first year

Have non-imm OA, issued March this year, first entered April this year, second entry July, so currently stamped in till July 2020.

A death back home requires me to go to Australia for a few weeks.

As I understand it:
1. When I return to Thailand, in say Dec this year, I'll need to show insurance (which I don't want to get) - so I would only be stamped in for 30 days?

This seems one possible solution:
2. Is it a certainity that I can get, and if I do get, a re-entry permit, I can re-enter and be stamped in (as per the original OA visa) for 12 months?

Just wondering:
3. Can the embassy in Australia "cancel" the OA visa and issue a METV? which would get me in for up to 6-8 months (free of insurance) (which would at least suit my short to medium-term plans)?

Many thanks in advance.

18 minutes ago, law ling said:

1. When I return to Thailand, in say Dec this year, I'll need to show insurance (which I don't want to get) - so I would only be stamped in for 30 days?

Insurance is not required for a OA visa that was issued prior to October 1st.

26 minutes ago, law ling said:

This seems one possible solution:
2. Is it a certainity that I can get, and if I do get, a re-entry permit, I can re-enter and be stamped in (as per the original OA visa) for 12 months?

If you think you might fall foul of the insurance law that is definitely an option as outlined in another thread with first hand experience, photos and quoting immigration law.

However your visa was issued well before 31 October and you're now on a second entry and technically shouldn't require insurance IMHO.

If you go the route outlined the only thing I see you're not clear about is how long you'll be stamped till. On a purchased RE Permit until July 2020, your existing stay. On one of the ME's connected to your visa; 12months until December 2020

Edited by UncleMhee