Over 80 on OA Extensions for 14 years. Chiang Mai.

5 minutes ago, vivananahuahin said:

why they don't make a black list from the hospitals bills(names, nationality,age, not yet pay) and make a data base and transmit to the immigration office,it is so easy when they come to the IOs they can control this,now they aim one type op persons may be with the most integrity and financial means,they have always minimum 400.000 on the bank account,it is just an idea i am not a minister.And i am very curious which age are not paying the bills because the first question when you go to the private hospitals is, have you an insurance or a credit card and without i think they will not help you,about the government hospitals i don't know,but they are always under "the oath of Hippocrates".

Hospital blames the majority of tourists and non western foreigners as those who skip without paying, all said and done where would most of us skip to...our Thai homes. Easily traceable!!

29 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I would not be using an 'agent' to try and bribe an IO ( truthfully that would be the only 'function' of an 'agent' in this case). Giving people advice to break the law (facilitation to corruption) is both irresponsible and idiotic.

Good for you.....ever been between a rock and hard place?

You don't understand Thai culture or business practices well do you? 

Take a look around you.....you no longer reside in a western society with all of it's holier than thou attitudes. Not that the same practices you so despise being advocated here don't apply there.

https://medium.com/@Nauroze/dutton-pimping-out-australias-border-for-cash-7bc2e1025a6b

Dutton Pimping out Australia’s Border for Cash

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

My understanding is the same of yours, i.e. that only new applicants for O-A visis will be requried to have medical insurance. If in doubt, the poster should check with Thai Immigration head officefirst,  then his local office to ensure they are aware of and following official policy.

The head office (or at least the only representatives of it the public can easily contact) is giving conflicting information. And what exactly would someone do if their local office was not following correct policy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

If the requirements for a retirement visa is health insurance and no health insurance company will insure then the OP will need to get a different visa which doesn't require it, meaning an Elite visa which will work best and give up to 6 years here. Alternatively the other option is to leave Thailand.

my dear it is not very helpful for an old man of 80 years old,try to understand and comfort him,not go out the country they are other terms.

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes CM is saying (and doing) this. So is Jomtien and a number of other places.

How would clarification from CW solve the problem for someone not living in their jurisdiction?

If what you meant was have Imm HQ set the lical office straight, great idea but how does anyone make that happen?

We could try mailing our embassies to raise these very valid issues with the Thai Authorities they collectively maybe able to bring some pressure to bear to grandfather the OAs issued prior to  31 Oct or at least allow us to either use our own insurance companies or have the equivalent in a Bank account to cover eventualities.

Edited by Expattaff1308
  • Like 2

I think the easiest way is for you to apply for a new O visa and extend that based on retirement.

At least until the O visa loophole is closed in the future.

From what I read in this forum, not many people are willing to buy that expensive health insurance even if the company is willing to insure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Davut said:

Oh dear,  can someone clarify this one please.

My understanding is that "health Insurance" is only needed for new O-A visa after 31 October 2019 to gain entry into Thailand.   And,   for those who are currently on "extensions" (and started with 0-A) health insurance is not required at this time?

This gentleman who is 80 yrs (sirwilly) has no chance of getting health insurance in Thailand from what I have read.

Perhaps Ubon Joe can clarify this one?

This has been discussed quite extensively. It is for both new and existing O-A visa.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Davut said:

Oh dear,  can someone clarify this one please.

My understanding is that "health Insurance" is only needed for new O-A visa after 31 October 2019 to gain entry into Thailand.   And,   for those who are currently on "extensions" (and started with 0-A) health insurance is not required at this time?

This gentleman who is 80 yrs (sirwilly) has no chance of getting health insurance in Thailand from what I have read.

There have been numerous reports here by people being told by CM Immigration, and other Immigration offices as well, that they're going to require insurance for people with retirement extensions at renewal time that date back to prior O-A visas, even ones from many years past.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

None of the "approved" insurers have policy that allows for this and Thai insurers tend not to think outside the box (to put it mildly). The only insurer on the immigration approved list that might possibly respond would be Pacific Cross. Nothing to lose by trying 

Indeed, and as an insurer, why not !

Get say 10.000 customers at say 200 $ each. Easy money .

30 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes CM is saying (and doing) this. So is Jomtien and a number of other places.

How would clarification from CW solve the problem for someone not living in their jurisdiction?

If what you meant was have Imm HQ set the lical office straight, great idea but how does anyone make that happen?

Because in the past one of the experts has used CW as the gold standard for answers on this issue.

You might be able to  get insurance from one of these companies. Most of them will not start a new policy for age 80, but one or two may. A friend of mine who is 80 said he found a company that would but very costly. Check them out at this link:https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa        

Edited by mhortig
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mhortig said:

You might be able to  get insurance from one of these companies. Most of them will not start a new policy for age 80, but one or two may. Check them out at this link:https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

and have you seen the prices?? very expensive for very little cover, and if pre existing conditions an expensive worthless exercise to say the least, changes a 1900 baht extension into a 100,000 baht extension. Ive seached them all on the list many dont ensure over 65 those who do vary from 70-90,000 and some insist on a complete medical costing a further 7-10,000 where they will refund a % of the cost if accepted. I'm 66 and can get the accepted cover for 40,000 but not with one of the approved companies who wants between 70-90k for exactly the same cover (OPD 400k / IPD 40k) 

Edited by Expattaff1308
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is possible though not yet known that a visa agent might, through their ability to access higher level IOs with discretionary power , be able to get extension without one of the approved insurance policies (which an 80 year old any way cannot get).  Maybe because a more senior officer would understad it is not really required, or maybe because senior officer would waive the requirement. 

Potential problem I see with this approach is it might lock you into having to use agent every year and if there were ever a crack down on use of agents you might then be in a fix.

Of course all this is done by paying a Visa Agent a large amount of money which is used for bribes to IO to get things done, which we all know is the only reason anyone ever needs to use an Agent.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

imo at 80 yrs old I would not be using an 'agent' to try and bribe an IO ( truthfully that would be the only 'function' of an 'agent' in this case). Giving people advice to break the law (facilitation to corruption) is both irresponsible and idiotic. As other posters have suggested go the elite or the o visa route.

Exactly! Someone who's at a retirement age should be mature enough not to go around bribing people to stay in the country.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

18 minutes ago, mhortig said:

You might be able to  get insurance from one of these companies. Most of them will not start a new policy for age 80, but one or two may. A friend of mine who is 80 said he found a company that would but very costly. Check them out at this link:https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa        

The unavailability of insurance  at his age from any of these companies has already been explained. Please see the charts showing all details in links already given.

31 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I think the easiest way is for you to apply for a new O visa and extend that based on retirement.

At least until the O visa loophole is closed in the future.

From what I read in this forum, not many people are willing to buy that expensive health insurance even if the company is willing to insure.

Why is the O Visa a loophole? It's another Visa with other requirements. 

55 minutes ago, vivananahuahin said:

my dear it is not very helpful for an old man of 80 years old,try to understand and comfort him,not go out the country they are other terms.

Other terms like what I mentioned in the post you quoted me on, which was get an Elite Visa and get 6 more years here.

56 minutes ago, vivananahuahin said:

Actually other than using an Agent I don't think there is anything he can do that would not require first leaving the country.

Unless his extension deadline is some time from now and CM Imm practices  change by then.

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually other than using an Agent I don't think there is anything he can do that would not require first leaving the country.

Unless his extension deadline is some time from now and CM Imm practices  change by then.

Yes and first we don't know when he will go to renew his extension,may be next year februari,march,April,in this time under pressure from embassies and without loose the face they will grandfather these "pilot project" for the OA before 31/10/2019,if he need do now,wait until the last day and go to Laos to begin a new visa Non O and if married it will be very easier.