Jump to content
BANGKOK
sirwilly

Over 80 on OA Extensions for 14 years. Chiang Mai.

Recommended Posts

On 11/20/2019 at 10:58 AM, possum1931 said:

Your last sentence, Thai people in general yes, but the Thai government or immigration???????

I have seen immigration help out older retirees, the paper work disappeared for a bit and the stamped passport came back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EricTh said:

I think it's the first 2 years that those people with OA extensions who didn't need to put any money into Thai banks that's the problem. During this time, if there are unpaid medical fees, the Thai hospitals have to bear the costs.

Yes you are correct. That is the situation.

However as insurance is now required on all new A-O's; if allowed to use insurance sourced from their home country for the full 2 year period of visa.......issue solved. Many here seem to think they're hard done by having to have the money in the bank here. Hey.....your visa, your rules, your choice.

To get an O-A every two years we must have the same financials; plus with allowed mandatory insurance from home we'd be covered better than uninsured O visa holders who aren't required to have it; and many won't.....going on the numbers talking about changing because of the requirement. Lay off the O-A bashing eh!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

 

You don't think people who are insured, would want to bypass the requirement to buy an unncessary second policy? I should think they all would. And their numbers aren't small if prior TV polls are to be believed.

 

 

I said 'most'. If people use an agent already, OK a further step. And yes, if an agent can and is prepared to 'fake' or bypass the requirement, it will likely be cheaper than useless insurance. There will also be quite a number unable to get insurance who have little choice if it ever becomes obligatory for all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

When to see my government hospital doctor last Monday (appointment every 3 months).

2 and half hours from start to finish cost 280bht, 50bht foreigner fee + 230bht for 3 months of meds.

Not that the insurance would have paid it, even if I'd had any.

 

No complaints about the drugs, they work better than Google says they should.

The 50 baht is not a "foreigner fee". It is the standard comsultation fee for anyone, Thai or foreign, who has to pay full fee i.e. is not covered at that hodpital by SS or the universal ("gold card" or "30 baht") scheme

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The 50 baht is not a "foreigner fee". It is the standard comsultation fee for anyone, Thai or foreign, who has to pay full fee i.e. is not covered at that hodpital by SS or the universal ("gold card" or "30 baht") scheme

 

You're probably right.

"Outpatient service fees during office hours (55020)" is what it says in Thai.

Edited by BritManToo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, gunderhill said:

It doesn't  to me as in  their  terms  they can add anything at anytime they want, ie next year they want the insurance to, they are  compelled  to do this  by immigration. So you  just spend 1  million and then WHAM, now  we  want insurance as  well, and your'e 80 so  bye  bye 1  million.

Yep, absolutely.

 

I have a non-OA with 5 subsequent marriage extensions and spend over 200k a year to insure myself and my family. 

 

Now I am leaning more and more towards a two steps strategy: convert to non-O next year. And try to squeeze, with my pre-existing conditions, into the cheapest Pacific Cross health plan, which I'll never use. All in all it is going to cost me one percent of income over the next 10 years and give me better peace of mind than Thailand Elite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

When to see my government hospital doctor last Monday (appointment every 3 months).

2 and half hours from start to finish cost 280bht, 50bht foreigner fee + 230bht for 3 months of meds.

Not that the insurance would have paid it, even if I'd had any.

 

No complaints about the drugs, they work better than Google says they should.

Am I to understand that we are able to use government hospitals? In that case I don’t see what the fuss is about. How does one recognise a government hospital? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Am I to understand that we are able to use government hospitals? In that case I don’t see what the fuss is about. How does one recognise a government hospital? 

Government hospitals are not free - payment is required by foreigners or Thai if not registered to use that specific hospital (or officially transferred there).  Costs are not high but can mount up and for imported materials or tests using such equipment can be almost as much as a private hospital.  As for finding them just look up on Google or ask someone - remember the lower levels are not much more than first aid stations but for that they can be good.  Registration at most will require some knowledge of Thai or help of a Thai speaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that, costs are more likely to be based on need in a government hospital so more acceptable to me.  I live with Thai people in a Thai ish way so If I get ill it will be out of my hands but nice to be informed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone wrote to one of the English Language or Thai newspaper about the problem here with Immigrations and how it affects those who are too old for insurance or disqualified by the insurance companies. Or about how they screwed those who been here before 31/10/19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Momofarang said:

Yep, absolutely.

 

I have a non-OA with 5 subsequent marriage extensions and spend over 200k a year to insure myself and my family. 

 

Now I am leaning more and more towards a two steps strategy: convert to non-O next year. And try to squeeze, with my pre-existing conditions, into the cheapest Pacific Cross health plan, which I'll never use. All in all it is going to cost me one percent of income over the next 10 years and give me better peace of mind than Thailand Elite.

Don't plan based on maybes. Firstly an insurance requirement has only been attached to O-A Retirement Extensions, no confirmation that a marriage Ext requires approved insurance. Secondly, no insurance requirement if you do change to a Non-Imm-O, so why not keep the policy you have invested in?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 4:49 AM, bbi1 said:

What does a visa agent have to do with needing the required health insurance?

I am sure the agents are working on that one, no doubt behind closed doors.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Johnthplumb said:

I am sure the agents are working on that one, no doubt behind closed doors.

You mean working on how to bribe some immigration officers for their clients who don't have health insurance without them all getting in trouble.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read here on Page 47

 

3. In case of applicants who have a high health risk so cannot purchase the insurance but allowed to apply the visa, the Immigration Bureau should set the additional conditions (e.g. the provision of the larger amount of deposit)
Reason: The foreign elderly have the adequate amount of money for medical free and other

 

http://www.hss.moph.go.th/fileupload_doc/2019-10-18-1-19-50192312.pdf

 

Edited by nok_dan2000
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...