visit from immigration today

30 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Oh I envy you, why you have 2 of these calls and I have none (11 years now)... Not fair I do also want a visit...

glegolo

Usually you get people writing about TM30 and so on saying something like " Why all the fuss? I have been here 30 years and never asked for TM30, passport or whatever?" 

Nice to see someone actually asking to be visited.

I was once stopped near Central Rama 9 by Immigration Police . They were very friendly, spoke Thai and asked if I would pose for a photo to prove .... couldn't quite understand what at that time.... Anyway I smiled and posed and then we all went our different ways.

Edited by petedk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, petedk said:

They were very friendly, spoke Thai and asked if I would pose for a photo to prove .... couldn't quite understand what at that time....

Prove that they are doing their job, by looking for the bad foreigners.

It's the same concept as BiB stopping their cars or motorbikes at places of interest, taking selfies or pics, and then leaving. "Been there done that" proof.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

"We don't like doing this," he said, "but we have to and the photos were only used as proof to show the head of the IO that they had followed orders."

It happens in other departments too. I know other departments who post the pics on their closed group work facebook page as proof to the Bangkok inspectors/auditors they preformed the task. It ties in with budgets etc too.

22 hours ago, soalbundy said:

the boss shrugged his shoulders and said they have to do this now and again to ask how I was, was I being treated well, did I feel I was being cheated by my family etc.

From my understanding is that it is a kind of random audit from head office as your local immigration has to confirm/know your whereabouts every now and again, and that you are at that address, pictures, date stamped, are filed and put away for the next visit in 14 or so years time....lol

One would think that because you do your yearly extension annually, that would be enough, but you could be living elsewhere for all they know, so a spot check keeping farangs in check is part of their job, and a good way for them to lose weight, e.g. getting off of their back sides and out of the office ????

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Thai efficiency.  :thumbsup:

The group of 5 was just in case he decided to do a sudden runner, instead of handing over his recently extension stamped passport... Foreigners, of course, are always a threat to national security, regardless.  :ninja:

Or perhaps, it was two to hold the passport, one to hold the camera, and one each to keep an eye on the OP and his family.... :w00t:

• Like 1

I've had one visit, for first application for extension based on marriage, after the paperwork was lodged before the waiting period expired. Since then we have moved residence but still same village, Once I was asked by an off duty policeman for a photo of me, standing with him.  Often stopped at roadblocks, produce an IDL. Waived on.

12 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

I know they do visits for a Family n Married Visa but never heard of a visit for Retirement

They started this nonsense last year when i got the retirement extension and treated their visit as if it was a marriage ex, even insisting i sit on the bed with my wife for a photo ??? i changed to marriage this year, yep same again but, both times phoned 2 hr before, it is now mandatory to have visits in my province. 

17 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

I know they do visits for a Family n Married Visa but never heard of a visit for Retirement

I had one this time last year after my retirement extension. Bit like the OP but only 3 came. They got a bit carried away with the photos and left leaving their paperwork on the table, had to come back the next day and pick it up.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Immigration have never visited my house in all the time I've been here. Even after getting marriage extensions and an extension recently for being the parent of Thai kids.

I don't remember reading your 'sad divorce' story.

Did it put the kibosh on your citizenship application?

(Sorry, if I'm confusing you with another poster)

On 11/19/2019 at 5:40 PM, soalbundy said:

No, I didn't feel threatened in any way, my IO is a small friendly place but if this happened somewhere else to someone here on TV one or two may feel a little worried so I posted my experience, that's all.

Did any of them point at you?

On 11/19/2019 at 6:15 PM, petedk said:

Usually you get people writing about TM30 and so on saying something like " Why all the fuss? I have been here 30 years and never asked for TM30, passport or whatever?" 

Nice to see someone actually asking to be visited.

I was once stopped near Central Rama 9 by Immigration Police . They were very friendly, spoke Thai and asked if I would pose for a photo to prove .... couldn't quite understand what at that time.... Anyway I smiled and posed and then we all went our different ways.

I have had the honour of posing for photos with Tourist Police and Immigration 3 times now. All friendly and never any problems or questions asked. I think the photo is for showing the boss when they get back, that they have been doing some work.