Flight Prices Up???

KhaoYai

I can't be sure whether this is a one off or if its a sign of things to come - its no secret that many airlines are losing money at the moment.

I've just booked my flight for January with Etihad and try as I might, the flight was £90 more expensive than last year around the same time. Granted, there were other airlines offering cheaper flights but I like the benefits my frequent flyer status give me. On this occasion booking direct with the airline was substantially cheaper than the discounters - probably simply because they have sold all the cheaper seats allocated to them.

I know how airlines release a limited amount of flights at cheaper prices and may release more closer to the date if there are still a lot of empty seats but I also checked prices for the end of February into March as I'll be coming back for a friend's wedding - they were cheaper but still more than I usually pay.

For those seeking the absolute cheapest flights at the moment Turkish Airlines and Finnair seem to be the cheapest. (From the UK)

Think yourself lucky. I went back to the UK this year with Emirates cost was just over 2.000 UK for Business class. This year looked up yesterday, and it's nearer 3.500UK. EVA Air was around the same. Didn't look at BA as they would have to pay me to fly with them.

I've had one or two business class upgrades but I would never be daft enough to pay for it.  Yes, its more comfortable and yes, they have a wine list etc. etc. but I sleep all the way anyway. I can fly over 3 times for the cost of 1 business class flight.

As I fly in around 8 times per year - the extra cost involved would be just under £10,000 per year. I can spend that amount much more wisely.

16 hours ago, fredob43 said:

This year looked up yesterday, and it's nearer 3.500UK

If you can fly  into Heathrow, their  regional airport Emirates prices  especially  Birmingham are  ridiculous, example fly into B'ham Business Class £3500-£4000 Heathrow  less than £2000

6 hours ago, Chazar said:

If you can fly  into Heathrow, their  regional airport Emirates prices  especially  Birmingham are  ridiculous, example fly into B'ham Business Class £3500-£4000 Heathrow  less than £2000

Yes I have seen those, but I will need to fly later next year for a wedding. For 3 people traveling Business class they are quoting for my dates over 9.500UK That's the cheapest I can find at present from any airline, but they might be a tad less nearer the time? I wouldn't mind to much but I'm only going for 6/7 days. Oh well no one said life would be easy. 

Archived