Bangkok named most favourite leisure city by Business Traveller China magazine

snoop1130

Now that all western currencies are vanquished, the ChiComs can bask in their newly created colony.  Watch how when the Yuan rises—so does the Baht.  At least now we know who orchestrated the fall of western currencies—in Thailand only.

Seems like a bunch of school kids here....."mine is better than yours." What's wrong with different strokes for different folks? Bangkok has good and bad, as do most places. Whether a paid advertisement or not, it would not surprise me that Chinese businessmen would choose Bangkok as No. 1 for their thrills. It's a great place to visit...but would you want to live there? Maybe yes, maybe no, as it should be. Bashing Bangkok, an island retreat (where I am), or an upcountry village life-style while promoting your own choice is just childish. 

13 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Sorry what rubbish. Having been an expat on and off since 2002 having lived and worked in Bangkok and seeing first hand it's decline. All the cheering by the usual suspect posters sorry but as Scott Kilmore says if you believe ratings by magazines your mad as they are paid to advertise. If you love walking about in malls then OK but would I let my children on ANY Thai fun park ride NEVER. That survey is as believable as Unicorns and the tooth fairy.... I will believe my own eyes and experience, I will believe people who actually live in Thailand and have more worldly experience than an army barracks etc. Lol deluded. 

Why does everyone think Unicorns aren’t real..But Giraffes are?

I choose to believe that a horse with a horn is more realistic than a huge mooseleopard with a 40 foot neck, 15 foot legs ,little knobs on its head and long mouth ... Just saying ;)

4 hours ago, alaskaseeker said:

IseThailand is a 3rd world trashpit, every vacant lot in Nonthaburi is filled with rotting plastic trashbags.. Rat infested lots.. To fix, someone plows the garbage into the soil, a better idea, of course, instead of picking it up in the first place .... The Chao Praya river is full of plastic trash that ends up in the sea.. There is an island near Bang sara,  Fox island to be exact, that has a 4' wall of plastic trash completely around it.... Paradise?  If you like garbage....

Your example is flawed if you are signaling out Bangkok as solely being a '3rd world trash pit' for your example / argument lacks the balance in recognizing that pretty much anywhere else is also a trash pit... 

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/environmental-pollution_tonnes-of-plastic-trash-enter-lake-geneva-every-year/44627078

To place some balance to your negative bias the example above shows tones of trash in an area we would normal associate with being highly developed and environmentally friendly. 

Humanity is the issue - not solely Thai's or Bangkokians. 

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

This can't be right   !!  must be fake news …...

Because the usual TV farang moaners & whingers keep telling us Thailand is going downhill and everything is bad and the Chinese aren't coming any more ….    lol  :cheesy:

Now Steven you have it all mixed up.

We are saying it's bad and going downhill because the Chinese are coming.!!!!

5 hours ago, Drax said:

Could start by improving driving laws. I’m not even 3 years here yet and already seen over 5 motorbike / car accidents in person. In two of them i know people died. Just a few days ago a motorbike fell while driving fast here on nut. Luckily I don’t think the owner died but rip the motorbike. 

3 years and only saw 5 accidents. I see on average about 1 a week and the unending near misses through stupidity almost hourly.

the pollution in Bangkok is disgusting with rubbish scattered everywhere,. Haven’t stayed in Bangkok for 2yrs now do to the bad stench that comes from the drains at night.Much prefer up country as the air much cleaner. Try blowing your nose after a night out in Bangkok the black dust is everywhere ????

12 minutes ago, Steve Vincent said:

the pollution in Bangkok is disgusting with rubbish scattered everywhere,. Haven’t stayed in Bangkok for 2yrs now do to the bad stench that comes from the drains at night.Much prefer up country as the air much cleaner. Try blowing your nose after a night out in Bangkok the black dust is everywhere ????

I've lived in Bangkok for about 20 years.... 

Regarding your comments:

Rubbish scattered everywhere.... Bangkok is no better or worse than any other village, town or city in Thailand. Many other cities are far worse, I recall Hat Yai and Songkhla being awful. 

Bangkok Pollution.... Yes, for a couple of weeks per year it can get bad. Most cities world wide suffer a few weeks or poor air-quality, for the rest of the time its 

AQI in Bangkok is 57 today (moderate). Pretty much everywhere north and east of Bangkok is worse: 

Pattaya is 58, Nakhon Ratchasima 72, Sukhothai 76, Chiang Mai 62, Nan 63.

The South fares better, Phuket 39, Hat Yai 53, Yala 55.

In comparison to other cities: London is 62, Paris is 63, Geneva is 57. Singapore 50.

https://www.airvisual.com/world-air-quality-ranking

Black Bogeys? Never had this issue - you must have been snorting something !

Stench? Agreed, sometimes drains stink, they do in any village, town or city in Thailand, Bangkok does not stand alone in this issue. 

I don't want to be over-defensive of Bangkok, but I would like to highlight your negative bias when the examples you've provided could be of any area of Thailand. 

OK, so you've chosen to hate Bangkok and wish to voice your opinion on this forum, then do so with examples which stand out.. i.e. the Traffic Jams which are worse than other cities in Thailand.

On 11/19/2019 at 6:39 PM, richard_smith237 said:

There is so much to do in Bangkok.... its a great city to live in. 

Could it be improved, absolutely... it could do with lots more, more parks, better public transport, better roads etc.

But for restaurants, getting around cheaply, activities for adults and kids, it's difficult to beat...  and those who complain about the pollution....  I just came back from the UAE which had worse pollution (AQI). 

Everywhere has good and bad. Traffic is my major gripe in Bangkok, then I go else where and get stuck in traffic. 

People hate Bangkok because they want to... they look for things to hate to make their undeveloped slice of dusty backwardness in someway seem better - they'll quote too many malls, too many condos, who buys all this designer stuff anyway? etc, who needs so many starbucks etc... they are partially right but that's the cost of not living in a backwater which has no decent hospitals or education facilities. Don't agree, the Hosptials and Schools in any other province of Thailand and many regional capitals cannot compete with Bumrungrad and Patana School... 

For the same cost, you could live somewhere better though-It’s overpriced for what it offers, and doesn’t 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 6:39 PM, Mavideol said:

just look who posted/conducted the survey... they have to be kidding, comparing Tokyo to Bkk ...

Can't argue with that.  Tokyo's expensive but little chance of being ripped off.  No requirement to tip in Japan as that would never be accepted by the natives so don't even try.  The Japanese service mentality is far and away the pinnacle on this planet.  I won't compare cuisine as they're excellent both in LOS and Japan.  I could go on but Tokyo comes out on top every time in every aspect.

Archived