BANGKOK
Speedo1968

International Space Station

I live about 50km south of Khon Kaen, outside a small town with clear evening skies, when not cloudy of course.

This time of year there are good views, eyes only, of the ISS

I have often seen a star ( ? ) trailing a long long way behind, half a sky.

Tonight ( Tuesday Nov 14 ) there was another very bright object in the sky close to, in sky terms but trailing the ISS.    It's bright shape, slightly twisted, mimiced that of the ISS but was about 50% smaller.

Can anyone tell me what it was ?

There is a 'singing' kite in the evening this time of year but it stands out as a black object.

• Haha 1

I use ISS Detector and the International space station is very active over Thailand for the last and upcoming few weeks

We can see it even with the high light pollution caused by Nong Nooch.  My girlfriend has become an expert at using the app and is usually the first one to spot the ISS

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runar.issdetector&hl=en

Edited by Langsuan Man
  • Haha 1

yes it seems that @Speedo1968 knows all about the ISS...

but he's referring to some bright shadower... 

image.jpeg.6a31b9e9eb945586d7f7adf502d9ef0d.jpeg    

maybe the poo bags?

where definitely all that glitters is not gold

The ISS live now app does what the ISS detector one does - telling when and where it can be seen in the sky, and allowing notifications to be set, but also has a live video feed of Earth from the ISS:

image.png.3e8cb40bb6c0c67fd12361b4df25eba6.png

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nicedayapps.iss_free&hl=en  for the free one, or pay 32 baht for the HD version

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nicedayapps.iss&hl=en

• Haha 1

Thank you to those of you have commented on the ISS.

I spend a few hours each day, early mornings ( 4.30 - 5.30am, 4pm - 6.30pm ) exercising outside so have many opportunities to see whats in the sky.
I am well aware of the seasonal positions of the ISS where I live.

My question is as in my original post - What is tailing the ISS, especially as it has a very similar shape and is not to my knowledge a star or planet and certainly not a plane or kite.   Has anyone else noticed this other object ?

11 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

My question is as in my original post - What is tailing the ISS, especially as it has a very similar shape and is not to my knowledge a star or planet and certainly not a plane or kite.   Has anyone else noticed this other object ?

Does this object travel in the same direction and speed as the ISS itself? I do have a theory about it.

I get great views of ISS from the lane just outside our village, but never seen a 'ghost ISS' behind it. I'm intrigued by this.

A new version of War of the Worlds has just started on BBC..................hmmm?

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

A new version of War of the Worlds has just started on BBC..................hmmm?

Has it? Oh I must wind up the VPN and have a look see.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Has it? Oh I must wind up the VPN and have a look see.

Same story, different people.....Demelza is the main lady.

Just now, wgdanson said:

Same story, different people.....Demelza is the main lady.

First came the book, then the radio series, then the film, then the new film. And now it's on TV.

Just goes to show, a good story can have a long life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thank you to those of you have commented on the ISS.

I spend a few hours each day, early mornings ( 4.30 - 5.30am, 4pm - 6.30pm ) exercising outside so have many opportunities to see whats in the sky.
I am well aware of the seasonal positions of the ISS where I live.

The object following it on a similar track was a satellite or part of a rocket that launched a satellite. Some of them can be seen without binoculars. I have the Heavens Above app on my phone and it shows all this stuff, directions, time, brightness etc . ISS is due over Chiang Mai tonight at about 18:10 for a few mins coming from the SW heading NE. 

Sometimes the astronauts on board the ISS will be active on amateur radio (144MHz or 433MHz band), and with a relatively small antenna and even a handheld radio receiver, you can hear them. If you have an amateur radio licence and a transceiver instead of a receiver (but still just a handheld), you can even talk to them yourself. With some more advanced equipment you can receive pictures, etc.

• Thanks 2

This post prompted me to go onto YouTube's live feed from ISS. I just watched Earthrise....absolutely stunning.

Are there still people out there saying the Earth is flat?

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1