Daughter, bank employees sued for Bt250m embezzlement

snoop1130

Daughter, bank employees sued for Bt250m embezzlement

By The Nation

800_1eff56a45848221.jpg

Huay Sriwirat

Huay Sriwirat, aged 76, accompanied by her lawyer Ananchai Chaidet, today (November 19) filed a lawsuit at Phra Khanong Civil Court against KasikornBank, four bank employees and her own daughter for allegedly withdrawing more than Bt250 million from her bank account by using fake documents.

In 2014, while Huay was being treated for coronary artery disease in a hospital, her daughter and a few of the bank's employees allegedly colluded in changing the withdrawal rules of Huay’s savings account from signing with a signature to fingerprint identification. They later used a fake power of attorney document to verify the withdrawal.

They also took money from Huay’s opened-end fund.

The public prosecutor decided to sue the victim’s daughter and the four bank employees in a criminal case of embezzlement and faking documents.

Meanwhile, KasikornBank has clarified in a statement that its employees proceeded according to the wishes of the customer's close relatives, with no ill intention. 

The bank will provide facts and evidence in compliance with court's orders, it said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378513

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-19

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play to the little old lady. Recovered from what they clearly thought was terminal illness, and is now going to put them on the receiving end of major problems. Horrible it is her own daughter who did it to her.

I always thought grave robbing and looting the dead were evil things, but this daughter sounds like she is right down there with the scum of the earth.

Sadly will probably be a futile exercise. The usual response to such actions is "mai me dang(sp) " even if she wins I expect the money to be long gone and she will get very little to nothing back. More money gone on the lawyers fees etc.

Sad situation, but one that is not uncommon it would seem.

42 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

KasikornBank has clarified in a statement that its employees proceeded according to the wishes of the customer's close relatives, with no ill intention. 

If that is the case then the daughter is the only culprit. 

250 million baht isn't chump change so I doubt she'll ever see it again.

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Meanwhile, KasikornBank has clarified in a statement that its employees proceeded according to the wishes of the customer's close relatives

So according to this lame excuse anyone can march into a bank branch and clean out their close relative's bank account because they "wish to do so" and without bank staff demanding to see some legitimization?  

Isn't it every country who thinks they can prey and get from an ailing person like this woman? But I can say Thai are notorious for when someone dies or wins the lottery for coming out of the woodwork to get or take it as they know Thai laws are lax. Foreigners beware and prepare, it my happen to your family. 

This makes me sick. It may happen in other countries but not on such regularity. Almost daily there is a story of some light fingered bank employee/official or a dispicably scum relative stealing from a bank which in this day and age should be near I possible and without question if it occurs the bank should put the money back regardless if it was a relitive or not. Thank god in the UK if a bank is at fault they know to refund the account ASAP rater than risk fines etc. 

6 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

her own daughter for allegedly withdrawing more than Bt250 million from her bank account by using fake documents.

Ahh!  Family values, the much touted Thai family unit. Lovely daughter! ????

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

proceeded according to the wishes of the customer's close relatives, with no ill intention

Immaterial and irrelevant what the "close relatives" wanted.  The laws and the bank policies spell out pretty clearly who has jurisdiction and authority on how process a person's bank account.  Of course disgusting behavior on the daughter and most likely the bank employees also, but that is for a court to decide

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

So according to this lame excuse anyone can march into a bank branch and clean out their close relative's bank account because they "wish to do so" and without bank staff demanding to see some legitimization?  

yeah, well, in some cases yes, I have heard of that.  In this case, it seems likely that the bank employees colluded with the daughter to make things look legitimate with fake documents, power of attorney paperwork, joint signature or account ownership etc.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Fraud by bank employees makes the bank liable.

I'm thinking they got a share of the money.

"KasikornBank has clarified in a statement that its employees proceeded according to the wishes of the customer's close relatives, with no ill intention. "

as for their share of the money ….  well   …….. that's anyone's guess. 

OT:  your up early this morning

49 minutes ago, steven100 said:

as for their share of the money ….  well   …….. that's anyone's guess. 

My wife can smell a 100 baht note from 15 metres away, imagine the attractive fragrance from 250 million baht on their sensitive little noses!

Archived