Daughter, bank employees sued for Bt250m embezzlement

snoop1130

1 minute ago, Ebumbu said:

How is this a civil lawsuit and not a criminal conspiracy being prosecuted by a criminal court? 

"The public prosecutor decided to sue the victim’s daughter and the four bank employees in a criminal case of embezzlement and faking documents."

I know, reading is difficult some times ????

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Sadly will probably be a futile exercise. The usual response to such actions is "mai me dang(sp) " even if she wins I expect the money to be long gone and she will get very little to nothing back. More money gone on the lawyers fees etc.

Sad situation, but one that is not uncommon it would seem.

In any reputable country’s bank as their own employees colluded and enabled a third party to embezzle funds the bank itself would be liable 

18 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

lol and i get laughed at when i recommend people to use UOB and Citibank here instead...

Why do you recommend those two Thai banks over the other Thai banks.   You do know that both of those banks in Thailand are registered Thai banks, yes?

18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Sadly will probably be a futile exercise. The usual response to such actions is "mai me dang(sp) " even if she wins I expect the money to be long gone and she will get very little to nothing back. More money gone on the lawyers fees etc.

Sad situation, but one that is not uncommon it would seem.

The bank won't be able to say that if it loses!

RE - Meanwhile, KasikornBank has clarified in a statement that its employees proceeded according to the wishes of the customer's close relatives, with no ill intention. 

* Good intentions are always good, but of little help when the documents proves to be false and the responsibility kicks in - meaning payback time ... :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, bergan said:

"The public prosecutor decided to sue the victim’s daughter and the four bank employees in a criminal case of embezzlement and faking documents."

I know, reading is difficult some times ????

I read that. In the US, a criminal case is called a prosecution or indictment. I got thrown off by the word, "sue." In my experience, you sue someone in a civil case. OK, they're being prosecuted for a crime. All is right in the world. 

RE - Daughter, bank employees sued for Bt250m embezzlement

* Hmm, I wonder why it came to my mind that this case may take a while and most likely will end in a quiet settlement outside the court ... ????

5 hours ago, nchuckle said:

In any reputable country’s bank as their own employees colluded and enabled a third party to embezzle funds the bank itself would be liable 

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Why do you recommend those two Thai banks over the other Thai banks.   You do know that both of those banks in Thailand are registered Thai banks, yes?

they both habe private banking.

private bankers are usually singaporean here and the only ones on that employment level to have access to your bank account.

i am a longterm customer of both banks in Singapore. in other words if one of their thai <deleted> would steal my money i am sure both of then would make up for it asap without me having to go into thai tv and thai news to make them look bad. 

same reason you use an international law firm here, an international architect studio etc - thai have reputation to lose if one of their employes <deleted> up. 

your naivite level is worldclass. fools and their money are soon be parted. 

9 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:
8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

they both habe private banking.

So what?  They're both Thai banks, staffed mainly by Thais and subject to BoT regulations.  The nationality of those that deal with you are irrelevant to my comment.

51 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So what?  They're both Thai banks, staffed mainly by Thais and subject to BoT regulations.  The nationality of those that deal with you are irrelevant to my comment.

no it isn't, no Singaporean private banker in a well paid job for an international bank will steal your money and go to thai jail. 

badly paid thai staff does it all thr time. how many news reports about thai staff stealing did we have alone this week.... 

and you finally made it on ignore. good job. 

On 11/19/2019 at 7:42 PM, steven100 said:

If that is the case then the daughter is the only culprit. 

250 million baht isn't chump change so I doubt she'll ever see it again.

If you have ever had to legitimately change a bank withdrawal permission here in Thailand from "Signature" to "Thumbprint" (article wrongly called it fingerprint), you would know it is virtually impossible to do with just documents alone.

Two years ago my ex's mother was days away from her death in ICU from respiratory failure.

Because she could not talk or write or do any basic movement unaided, the paperwork required from the bank was rightfully impossible to complete without alerting all major authorities. Police Reports filed by 3 blood relatives, Police Report filed by immediate family. Village Headman report, Amphur Report, Doctor's report, lawyers statement, and finally, bank investigators physically going to her ICU bedside to attempt communication.

Finally, the saving grace was that all relatives noted that her mother had been genuinely transferring all her small plots of land into my ex's name over her final 2 years, with full knowledge of all the relatives and village headman. They all noted that this was done by her mother without force or fear. They all noted that any conversations that they had with the mother was while the daughter was not present, and she was doing it of her own free will.

All those documents had to be files at the courts before the bank would authorize her lawyer, who already had power of attorney, to accompany my ex to the bank and the change was made just before her mother's passing. All these hoops to jump through, and her account had about THB 87,000 not THB 250M.

Even in a clear-cut case such as what I mentioned, the bank was extremely cautious - and rightly so.

Without mentioning the bank by name, I will say that is was NOT Kasikorn. The mother had more sense than that.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:14 PM, Misterwhisper said:

So according to this lame excuse anyone can march into a bank branch and clean out their close relative's bank account because they "wish to do so" and without bank staff demanding to see some legitimization?  

This is why I don’t keep money in Thai banks.

13 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

no it isn't, no Singaporean private banker in a well paid job for an international bank will steal your money and go to thai jail. 

badly paid thai staff does it all thr time. how many news reports about thai staff stealing did we have alone this week.... 

You really don't understand my point that Citibank and UOB banks in Thailand are Thai banks, do you?   They are not international banks anymore than Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn are, they have the overseas connection but they are Thai registered banks, in the main, employing the same Thai people that other Thai banks select from!

"...badly paid thai staff does it all thr time".

Nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You really don't understand my point that Citibank and UOB banks in Thailand are Thai banks, do you?   They are not international banks anymore than Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn are, they have the overseas connection but they are Thai registered banks, in the main, employing the same Thai people that other Thai banks select from!

"...badly paid thai staff does it all thr time".

Nonsense.

The clumsy level of professionalism in the Banking industry in Thailand is simply astonishing. 

A perfect example of this: I had just moved into a new condo. The landlord was overseas, I needed to transfer the first months rent to his CitiBank account. He complained that the transaction had failed. 

I went to CitiBank to find out why, I was told the account was inactive (the Landlord hadn't used it for over a year), I was then shown the balance and asked if I wanted to reactivate my account !!!! - It wasn't my account, it was my landlords !! - even worse, his surname was a Chinese name and not a Western name !

Yet at my Bank SCB, I've been unable to open a 'second account' without a work permit. I already had one account with them (for 20 years) but I was unable to open a second 'user' account, to keep less money in and use on a daily basis while my main account with more money was kept more secure (ATM card in my safe etc).

What is astonishing is that there are so many 'strict rules and regulations' that must be adhered to at all times even when doing something extremely minor, then the ridiculously un-secure things happens through a sheer lack of professionalism on the part of the bank employee.  

You guys have a hard time understanding the term privatebanker/privatebanking hu? 

First of all, Citi Thailand is a foreign bank wholy owned by Citibank US, just because they have a subsidiry here doesn't make them a thai bank, or is Toyota thai now too?

Citi Thailand has been voted in 2012 the Best Foreign Commercial Bank by Finance Asia, the tenth consecutive year that Citi has received this award.

And no, there are not random thais dealing with your bank account in privatebanking, neither with UOB nor Citibank Gold.

All you have is Relationshipmanager and an Investment Consultant -> https://www.citibank.co.th/en/citigold/your-financial-relationship-manager/index.htm?

These are the only ones <deleted> with your bank account there, and most of those working here are foreigners. Singapore, US, Indians, whatever - BECAUSE most customers are also foreigners and thais suck at english. And no they don't get paid the same as a Kasikorn bank clerk.

And if some <deleted> happens you can be sure the US/SG HQ makes up for the rubbish the thai subsidiry did.

There are other foreign banks here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_in_Thailand

If you have an account with hsbc, city, uob, deutsche bank or whatever somewhere else in the world it's easy to get a thai account without any of this work permit rubbish thai banks want. if some <deleted> happens complain to the other branch you have an account with. 

I am done with this pointless discussion about how <deleted> great the thai consumer banks are in not stealing your money.

On 11/19/2019 at 7:19 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

lol and i get laughed at when i recommend people to use UOB and Citibank here instead...

Well, ... It was pretty muck a "Family Job" after all, like it happens all the time in Thai Families. ... Like not entirely a Bank problem ? though well,they SHOULD not have done it !!! ..... Bad Luck for the Bank Employees that they were stupid and followed the Daughters Instructions ... Like what is wrong with there People, didn't they KNOW that they would get caught ??? Well, Like ? Hmmmm, ... She, the Mother, ... was in Hospital ! Maybe the daughter just thought that she would get her Inheritance Early ? ... Or that she would die ! ? ... Still a VERY Bad Daughter and Person !!! Greedy, and Stupid also ... Not the sort of People that I would ever hang out with.

Archived