Chinese tourists rescued from Phuket surf die in hospital

snoop1130

9 hours ago, gearbox said:

You are absolutely correct. The Thai beaches are dead easy to swim compared to say, Australia. I swim regularly open water around 150-200 metres inside the water alone, try this at the Oz beaches. A person who cannot swim is always in danger in open water,  sea or lake.

BS, If a person drowns and is quickly treated (say 5 minutes) their chances of recovery are excellent.  Roll onto side, expel seawater, provide cpr and mouth to mouth, then you can have a fighting chance that they will get a 100% recovery.

When we rescue people who are comatose when reached; we start first aid even before we get to the beach, the holger-neilson method which has been in use for over 50 years is not difficult to perform if loaded into a boat or even onto a surfboard if more than one life saver is in attendance.

You should complete life saver training before making such an uninformed comment.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/medicine/diseases-and-conditions/pathology/near-drowning 

1 hour ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Chinese walk in the middle of the roads in thailand, and they also walk out into oceans that they are not familiar with.

their govt needs to educate them on the flight over to thailand that these are not safe activities for anyone.

You mention Chinese (or Thai, come to that) government and safety in the same sentence..... you having a larf? :cheesy:

Anyway, whatever happened to personal responsibility?   Let Darwinism rule, I say 

21 hours ago, JWRC said:

sorry, but what is a fishing kid?

Some teenager went fishing. He fell head first in knee deep water while his feets were stuck in a branch near the water surface. He panicked and drowned. 

54 minutes ago, Essex said:

mistake on quote on last post, it was refuting other poster who said if you recover from drowning you will die later anyhow

Well, you will die later anyhow.

But I presume the poster you intended to reply to was referring to a situation like this, same link as yours. After all he did mention situations where the heart has to be restarted.

Death or permanent neurological damage is very likely when patients arrive at the emergency room comatose or without a heartbeat. Of these patients, 35 to 60 percent die in the emergency department, while almost all of those who survive have permanent disabilities.

13 hours ago, Essex said:

BS, If a person drowns and is quickly treated (say 5 minutes) their chances of recovery are excellent.  Roll onto side, expel seawater, provide cpr and mouth to mouth, then you can have a fighting chance that they will get a 100% recovery.

When we rescue people who are comatose when reached; we start first aid even before we get to the beach, the holger-neilson method which has been in use for over 50 years is not difficult to perform if loaded into a boat or even onto a surfboard if more than one life saver is in attendance.

You should complete life saver training before making such an uninformed comment.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/medicine/diseases-and-conditions/pathology/near-drowning 

I presume you meant to quote me.

Your post reminds me of scenes in the "Solly" movie where the investigators created the perfect simulation of the plane crash in an attempt to disapprove what actually happened.

I don't know if you actually live in Thailand where these events happen, but it is very disingenuous to compare the perfect scenario in Australia with what happens here. You should also check out drowning statistics involving migrants and visitors in the perfect world of the heavily patrolled Bondi Beach.

Many "rescued" people in Phuket are too far gone before getting to hospital (as in many road accidents), but reported as having been revived at the scene. Resuscitation never starts when still in the ocean, and the victim is typically found floating face down sometime after drowning.  The subject of this thread is about 2 Chinese drowning victims who died in hospital. They tend to disprove your assertions.

To make assumptions about someone you know little about is another way to make a fool of yourself. I lived the first 20 or so years in Scarborough (Perth) and practically spent all my free time in summer on that Beach. I am not uninformed nor inexperienced in the subject matter.

Gee Croc, you hang on to your arguement.

1. Statistics for heavily patrolled beaches like Bondi.  To the best of my knowledge (and i looked for articles to prove/disprove) there have been no deaths on Bondi beach in the patrolled areas for ages.  Drowning off the rocks at either end by fishermen, yes, but not surfers in the patrolled areas.  For that matter, this is the case for almost all patrolled beaches where life savers enforce a 'swim between the flags' policy.

2. Going to a beach and being a life saver is like saying I am an informed medical expert because I visited a hospital.

3. Not sure if it is relevant to the discussion, but yes I do live in Thailand.

4. Somebody drowning face down in the water, if found quickly has an excellent chance of recovery without complications.  The exceptions are where a secondary medical issue like a heart attack is a cause/result of the drowning.  SOP is it to take them immediately to hospital by ambulance for observation even if the appear to be OK.  Major beaches not only have trained lifesavers (Senior First Aid certificate, my qualification) , but also St John Ambulance officers (more highly trained) during the swimming season

5. These days, most rescues are by inflatable boats, manned by more than one crew member or by jetski.  First Aid in the case of inflatables (most rescues) is delivered as soon as they are in the inflatable, a delay in excess of 5 minutes would be rare in patrolled areas.  The old reel based rescues are more a feature of surf carnivals than a rescue option these days, dragging a drowning victim face down out of the water at the beach just does not happen anymore.

However, the real point is there is no comparison whatsover between Phuket and Australia, bagging a poster for pointing this out and calling them names seems to me to be quite silly.

I don't propose to respond to further 'flaming' on this subject.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:26 PM, Essex said:

provide cpr and mouth to mouth

Never saw a  Thai rescuer practicing mouth to mouth;
Reapply the Thai national TV every morning when they show you the road accidents; we often see one or more "helpers" practice cardiac massages but never mouth to mouth; a cardiac massage must always be accompanied by mouth to mouth; some massages and not any or anyhow how we see too much on TV thai then mouth to mouth and we start again  the massages ..and again  mouth to mouth ...
In any case, that's how I learned before I obtained my diploma of rescuer -reanimateur 

that I no longer have ( this diplome ) , having not participated in sessions of updates for too long;
but I know what, theoretically, one MUST do and also what should NOT be done.
A lateral safety position, do the Thai rescuers know what it is?
I doubt very much, I have never seen them put a person accidentally in this position.

8 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Never saw a  Thai rescuer practicing mouth to mouth;
Reapply the Thai national TV every morning when they show you the road accidents; we often see one or more "helpers" practice cardiac massages but never mouth to mouth; a cardiac massage must always be accompanied by mouth to mouth; some massages and not any or anyhow how we see too much on TV thai then mouth to mouth and we start again  the massages ..and again  mouth to mouth ...
In any case, that's how I learned before I obtained my diploma of rescuer -reanimateur 

that I no longer have ( this diplome ) , having not participated in sessions of updates for too long;
but I know what, theoretically, one MUST do and also what should NOT be done.
A lateral safety position, do the Thai rescuers know what it is?
I doubt very much, I have never seen them put a person accidentally in this position.

Interesting that over the years, cardiac pumping is considered to be much more vital than mouth to mouth, when I first did lifesaving we were told one mouth to mouth cycle (5 seconds) should be followed by 5 seconds of cardio.  Latest 'best practice' is 30 seconds of cardio followed by 5 seconds of mouth to mouth.

Archived