BANGKOK
teacher no name

enforced earlier start time

My usual, contracted school hours are 7.45 until 4.30

My school have issued a decree that from tomorrow all staff, Thai and non Thai must start work at 7.00 because the director is displeased that some staff, Thai and non Thai, are regularly late.

I know it may sound a small matter, but legally can they do this, can it be imposed /enforced?

The majority of staff are never late but being punished.

I know - if you don't like it find somewhere else, and I'm sure many will.

i just wonder how common this is and how others might have reacted / dealt with the situation.

• Like 1

First question, is the day then reduced or pay increased or time off in lieu of payment ?

The contracted hours are effectively increased so is this reflected in someway in remuneration ? it adds up to about an half day over the week.

Do you have the number of hours stated on your contract ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, teacher no name said:

no extra pay, no other time off in lieu, 

unspecified consequences if you are late.

Do you have a contract or verbal agreement ?

6 minutes ago, teacher no name said:

no extra pay, no other time off in lieu, 

unspecified consequences if you are late.

so wait to see tomorrow at 7h00 if the thais teachers are here

i bait they will come at usual, around 7h30\7h45 and the few who are usualy in late should be on time.

and after tomorrow you can still come as usual with the others, around 7h30\7h45.

Typical thai style short time action. nothing to worry about imo

• Like 2

OP, unfortunately, is the Po Oo's word what counts.

We've had various changes that aren't fun, but there's not much you can do.

It might last for a week and might soon be forgotten. Just be there on time and see. 

See the bright side of it. It could be worse.

Best of luck. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Is it so difficult or discomforting to come in at 7am? Couldn't you use that time productively? Thai contracts outside of monthly salary are utterly unenforceable. If you continue coming in late and the director asked you why your answer would be which childish response:

A. Everyone else does it

B. My contract hours start at 745

C. Sorry, I can't get out of bed in time.

In the next post you'll complain about low pay 😂

Edited by Number 6
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 5

If by extraordinary is will be enforced in long term and you are not happy with it

i suggest you to start to find a new school, because if you try to negociate

a better salary with the actual because of the extra hours, you are 

probably going to be fired, just to do an example for the others.

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Is it so difficult or discomforting to come in at 7am? Couldn't you use that time productively? Thai contracts outside of monthly salary are utterly unenforceable. If you continue coming in late and the director asked you why your answer would be which childish response:

A. Everyone else does it

B. My contract hours start at 745

C. Sorry, I can't get out of bed in time.

Where did the OP state that he's late?

It would change a lot for me if I'd have to be at school 45 minutes earlier; besides, are many vans or other means of transportation not available before 7 am.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Where did the OP state that he's late?

It would change a lot for me if I'd have to be at school 45 minutes earlier; besides, are many vans or other means of transportation not available before 7 am.

He very well might not be - or is, he didn't say oddly.

In Bangkok it's not unheard of to have 7/715/720/730 starts. Out of five schools the latest start time I'd ever had was 730. Most were 7-720.

As for the transport then I would take that issue to the director and say, I'm only to pleased to follow the new rule but it's impossible. Then he can say ok, I understand or well, you're part of the problem anyway so you're fired.

And that's yet another of 1000 reasons not to work upcountry.

The something for nothing crowd - wants time off for coming in early. Is that in days or just a bit of comp time? Might be your first teaching gig.

Edited by Number 6

They can do whatever you let them. Post again after 10 years teaching. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2019 at 7:42 PM, teacher no name said:

i just wonder how common this is and how others might have reacted / dealt with the situation.

Handing in your resignation the next day would seem the obvious answer.

Minimum notice period.

Edited by BritManToo

They love to change the rules, especially when a new boss shows up, you may even have the sympathy of your dept. boss but at the end of the day they will never ruin their chances of promotion by assisting you.

Suck it up and move on next term.

One thing that is worth doing, just to make a mockery of it all, turn up at 6.00, sign in and the go home until 7.45 or come In at 7.00, put your bag on your desk and then go for coffee, or whatever, just don’t get into a position where you can start work, that really pi$$es the powers off. 

I’m sure you are also aware, that sometimes it’s initially acceptable to meet their demands for a while, then just stop arriving early, wait until someone points out the rules and then tell them sorry, you forgot, like others say, there’s a good chance this will be forgotten about next month - I’m guessing you haven’t had an issue with being late, your dept. boss may just forget to enforce it for you.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

As a Farang teacher in Thailand, you do what the director says. Or look for another job. Farang teachers here are disposable and are treated like dirt. Get used to it, or quit.

• Like 2