enforced earlier start time

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it so difficult or discomforting to come in at 7am? Couldn't you use that time productively? Thai contracts outside of monthly salary are utterly unenforceable. If you continue coming in late and t

He has to be at work earlier, maybe he doesn't have time to post!!  

Are you an English teacher?

Thais have a different relationship with work and contracts than the west. It is futile to try to use western standards when considering the spirit of a contract here in Thailand. I had a similar experience. A Filipino teacher at my school was abusing the system by calling in sick or coming to work late and doing so habitually. In response to this bad behavior, the management told us if we came to work even a minute late, 50 baht would be deducted for the first minute and up to 1000. We just nodded and waited for them to enforce it. Since the day we got the warning I have not heard about it again. Check out how closely and consistently the new rules are monitored and enforced. 

On 11/19/2019 at 8:25 PM, PatOngo said:

How hard is it to get to work on time!

I misu nderstood a Thai colleague, instructing me to lie about the time (signing in). I wrote the correct time aand that spoilt it for the late-comers.

The OP hasn't said that he has been late. 

A few teachers who are late are not singled out. Instead, let's ALL be forced to come 45 minutes earlier?!? The PO'Or might think he is the Sun King, but the contrsacts prevail.

Just make sure you will never be late - and you should be okay.

The Directosd sometimes won't come in for days - having teachers bring & collect files at all hours. 

12 minutes ago, Northman said:

45 minutes extra? Say you make 1k baht an hour, that adds 750 baht to your daily salary. Sucks to wake up earlier but after a month that's at least 15k extra pay.

I wouldn't complain.

He says he’s not getting that 15 000 extra baht... so.... given that, would you now complain?

15 minutes ago, jany123 said:

He says he’s not getting that 15 000 extra baht... so.... given that, would you now complain?

I would be really surprised if I didn't get paid for time spent at work. If it ever happened I would issue a demand for the money to my employer, if they refused I would issue for their bankruptcy and the govt would pay me instead. Then again, I don't live in Thailand, workers' rights probably don't exist there.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Northman said:

I would be really surprised if I didn't get paid for time spent at work. If it ever happened I would issue a demand for the money to my employer, if they refused I would issue for their bankruptcy and the govt would pay me instead. Then again, I don't live in Thailand, workers' rights probably don't exist there.

Yes yes... but the poster was clear in that he was not being compensated for the extra time spent at work, so rather than stating you wouldn’t complain, what you really mean is that if in his position, you would scream your head off, all the way to court. Got it

• Like 1

Yes, the many posters are correct, we are supposed to finish at 5.15 and  keep getting reminded about it, the next day everyone clocks out at 5.05 anyway. Personally there is no evidence its 5.15, i think its our head being a bit funny.  I know a school where they deduct 2000 a month and if your leave early they take all the money, if you stay you get it back like you paid for you own 12 month contract, also october holidays are cancelled for two years there, imagine that and consider yourself lucky my friend. We used to have gate duty .. be there at 7am they would say .. but the thais would roll in from 7.30 .. they just wanted us there. btw the thais also get an october holiday. Of course all the foreigners are now from the phillipines cos they know if they treat a westerner like that he would be off two weeks later.