Sweden drops Assange rape investigation after nearly 10 years

snoop1130

Sweden drops Assange rape investigation after nearly 10 years

fgfg.PNG

FILE PHOTO: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange leaves Southwark Crown Court after being sentenced in London, Britain, May 1, 2019. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls/

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - A Swedish prosecutor said on Tuesday she would not proceed with an investigation into an allegation of rape against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange after a review of the evidence.

Deputy Chief Prosecutor Eva-Marie Persson said that the complainant’s evidence was deemed credible and reliable, but that after nearly a decade, witnesses’ memories had faded.

“After conducting a comprehensive assessment of what has emerged during the course of the preliminary investigation I then make the assessment that the evidence is not strong enough to form the basis for filing an indictment,” Persson told a news conference.

The 48 year-old Australian citizen has repeatedly denied the allegation against him, made in 2010.

The move by the prosecutor heads off a possible dilemma for the British courts which could potentially have had to decide between competing extradition requests from the United States and Sweden. However, the prosecutor said the decision to drop the investigation could be appealed.

Assange is being held in a British jail pending a hearing in February on extradition to the United States, which wants the 48 year-old Australian citizen over 18 criminal counts including conspiring to hack government computers and violating an espionage law.

He was dragged from the Ecuadorian embassy in London in April this year after spending almost seven years holed up there to avoid extradition on the Swedish allegations. Since then, he has served a British jail sentence for skipping bail.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-19

This was really just a ruse to engineer his extradition to the US. So there was no reason for him to hole up in an Embassy for years ... now they don’t need Sweden as he’s going to be sent there by the UK. I wonder if the accusers in Sweden were undercover operatives?

44 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He was dragged from the Ecuadorian embassy in London in April this year”

Assange was not dragged out of anywhere, he was lawfully evicted and provided with the dental and other medical care he needed, all at tax payer expense.

I hope his cat has found a more suitable keeper.

So he got indicted for false charges?

A  wasted  amount of his middle years of being productive, until the book and movie comes out, maybe his desire to be famous will have its reward in his eyes, 

a deceitful individual that should have more time to spend in the monkey house.

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He was dragged from the Ecuadorian embassy in London in April this year”

Assange was not dragged out of anywhere, he was lawfully evicted and provided with the dental and other medical care he needed, all at tax payer expense.

I hope his cat has found a more suitable keeper.

he was dragged, be it lawfully = https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/drag

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He was under investigation, not indictment.

You might more correctly say he spent seven years out of the prime of his life hiding from an investigation he had no reason to fear.

Again, I hope his cat has gone to a better home.

He didnt fear the investigation. He even offered to be interviewed while in sweden. He even asked if it was ok to leave sweden. He offered an interview by camera which was refused.

it was not the investigation he feared, it was the fear of US extradition.

By the way, you can be legally evicted and dragged out at the same time, yes he was dragged.

9 hours ago, AlexRich said:

This was really just a ruse to engineer his extradition to the US. So there was no reason for him to hole up in an Embassy for years ... now they don’t need Sweden as he’s going to be sent there by the UK. I wonder if the accusers in Sweden were undercover operatives?

That's what I think too. I remember reading the charges originally and Iit sounded bogus. If I remember rightly it was not rape as you and I would know it but a technicality based over some lack of Disclosure before consensual sex.  I keep trying to work out whether he's done more genuine harm or more genuine good in the world over the reasons that the US want to extradite him for.

31 minutes ago, Sujo said:

He didnt fear the investigation. He even offered to be interviewed while in sweden. He even asked if it was ok to leave sweden. He offered an interview by camera which was refused.

it was not the investigation he feared, it was the fear of US extradition.

By the way, you can be legally evicted and dragged out at the same time, yes he was dragged.

There was no US extradition for him at the time he was refusing to go to Sweden.

As for avoiding the now existing US extradition his avoidance plan seems not to have worked.

I suspect he might have been better advised to get to the US while Trump has enough political capital to offer him a pardon.

He is once again running out the clock to his own detriment.

26 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There was no US extradition for him at the time he was refusing to go to Sweden.

As for avoiding the now existing US extradition his avoidance plan seems not to have worked.

I suspect he might have been better advised to get to the US while Trump has enough political capital to offer him a pardon.

He is once again running out the clock to his own detriment.

He believed there was an indictment against him in the US. He believed US would extradict him. I have no idea if that is true, but thats what he thought and was concerned about.

Agree his plan didnt work, hes not the brightest.

The australian govt has said what he did is not illegal in australia and as such should have done more for him. 

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suspect he might have been better advised to get to the US while Trump has enough political capital to offer him a pardon

Why would Trump offer him a pardon? He, DT, doesn't strike me as being the forgiving, understanding type. 

18 minutes ago, djayz said:

Why would Trump offer him a pardon? He, DT, doesn't strike me as being the forgiving, understanding type. 

Because, Assange is implicated in Trump’s crimes and Russian election meddling to assist Trump.

Testimony from former Trump WH General Counsel in the transcript of Roger Stone’s trial refers to the direct involvement of Trump and other GOP in the ‘choreography’ of Assange releasing stolen emails to harm Clinton and assist Trump.

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You might more correctly say he spent seven years out of the prime of his life hiding from an investigation he had no reason to fear.

Sweden had these bogus charges to sent him to the USA.

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Only an idiot wouldn't see through the sham Swedish case. Several prosecutors have now said there's no case to proceed. 

It was a ruse to get him in a court, in custody so the Americans could engineer extradition. 

Can't have someone exposing crooked old hag Hilary and being allowed to get away with it.

The American 'establishment" is a crooked as it comes!

15 hours ago, Tug said:

Well looks like it’s off to the USA for Julián possible the best for him maybe Donald will spring him to save from embarrassing info getting out about his quest for info on Hillary

Or Hillary will "Epstein" him because of what he does have on her. 

16 hours ago, Tug said:

Well looks like it’s off to the USA for Julián possible the best for him maybe Donald will spring him to save from embarrassing info getting out about his quest for info on Hillary 

More than likely Sweden was paid off by the USA to go after Julian during the Obama administration. For sure it was a little Quid pro Quo at the time and time has run out.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Sweden had these bogus charges to sent him to the USA.

Because the cunning plan was to extradite him to the US with a non existent extradition request.

A process that, if in Sweden would be open to challenge in both the Swedish courts and the UK courts + the European Court of HR.

Going to Sweden would have made extradition to the US more difficult.

Perhaps he liked his self imposed isolation from the world.

Archived