Jump to content
BANGKOK
dkbkk

Change name on bank account - a challenge?

Recommended Posts

I changed my name (all of it!), and have a new passport with my new name.
My Thai bank account (Kasikorn) is in my old name.

 

Does anybody have experience in this matter, whether i need some kind of legal document for the bank to accept the name change, or is it a straigth-forward procedure.

The same question goes for my Thai driving license, can i change name on that one too?
 

FYI: I don't live in Thailand, i don't have a work permit. I am a returning tourist.

 

Looking forward to some good input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it will not be straight forward, do as the chap suggests, close it and open new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, uli65 said:

close this account and make a new one

Good luck with that without the passport used for account being valid (or even with at most places).  Hopefully you have an ATM card to remove funds - then comes the fun task of finding a bank willing to open an account in your new name with only a tourist visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

firstly,  @dkbkk   can one assume your Account is (was) only ever accessed by BankBook?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have any documentation pertaining to your name change ? You probably need to get this certified by your embassy; then take this to the bank with your new passport (and old passport, or copy of same, if you have it).

I once worked with a foreign woman who was very proud of the fact that she had snagged a husband, after what I think was many years of trying. I remember her telling us at work how she was going to "have to" change her name on bank accounts etc. She must have been successful, because I don't remember ever hearing that she was not able to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 7:38 AM, uli65 said:

close this account and make a new one

I had no problem when i got married and new passport only took few mins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They probably won't even let you close the account without an ID matching the account name.  If you still have a valid ATM/debit card withdraw all you can.  If there is a little bit left the account will close after a year of inactive status and no money to pay the 50 baht/month fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take both passports with you when you visit your local K-Bank branch. I would be very surprised if it doesn't work,and If they want some other documents, then they will tell you.  Thai people changes their names,too. Can't they change their names on an account? Of course they can. Don't listen to paranoid posters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Take both passports with you when you visit your local K-Bank branch. I would be very surprised if it doesn't work,and If they want some other documents, then they will tell you.  Thai people changes their names,too. Can't they change their names on an account? Of course they can. Don't listen to paranoid posters. 

Thai do not change their ID number.  Passport is the ID number for a foreigner,  I hope no bank will allow me to steal another's account with a show of their passport.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a saying "It is better to ask forgiveness ... than permission"
(1) Withdraw all but 500 THB from the account
(2) THEN argue about your New identity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I changed my nationality to Thai for my KBANK account and it was easy as pie.  I just took my ID card to the bank and they scanned it and did the job in under five minutes.  The same operation was much more difficult with other Thai banks. Because your name change documents are foreign documents I guess you will have to get certified translations notarised by the Thai Foreign Ministry.  My guess is that it will be easier and cheaper to withdraw all the funds from the old account by ATM card and open a new one in your new name.  But for the driving license they probably will need the notarised translations. Maybe you can do the same there and apply for a new one from scratch under the new name, if you also have a home country license in the new name to show them.  I would get someone to call them first to see what documents they need to change the name.  Getting the translations and notarisations is not difficult but it is time consuming and costs money.  Also the original document has to be notarised by your embassy for the ministry to notarise the translation which some embassies won't do.  Since you are only a tourist and won't need the translations regularly in Thailand, you'd be better off not having to get them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

We have a saying "It is better to ask forgiveness ... than permission"
(1) Withdraw all but 500 THB from the account
(2) THEN argue about your New identity.

Why withdraw the money, and why argue? Silly advices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I changed my nationality to Thai for my KBANK account and it was easy as pie.  I just took my ID card to the bank and they scanned it and did the job in under five minutes.  The same operation was much more difficult with other Thai banks. Because your name change documents are foreign documents I guess you will have to get certified translations notarised by the Thai Foreign Ministry.  My guess is that it will be easier and cheaper to withdraw all the funds from the old account by ATM card and open a new one in your new name.  But for the driving license they probably will need the notarised translations. Maybe you can do the same there and apply for a new one from scratch under the new name, if you also have a home country license in the new name to show them.  I would get someone to call them first to see what documents they need to change the name.  Getting the translations and notarisations is not difficult but it is time consuming and costs money.  Also the original document has to be notarised by your embassy for the ministry to notarise the translation which some embassies won't do.  Since you are only a tourist and won't need the translations regularly in Thailand, you'd be better off not having to get them.

 

If he needs to open a new account, then he can withdraw the money at the Customer service in the bank and then deposit it to the new account. No need to withdraw any money using the ATM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife (Thai) changed her family name to mine as 1) we were married  and 2) we were going on a posting to the Middle East and this was going to be easier all round. I must admit that it has been a challenge for my wife in Thailand with her bank - despite having the legal Thai document recording her name change and an authorised translation of our marriage registration and her ID with my family name the pai is that Kasikorn Bank in Phimai doesn't seem to be able to cope.  Also her drivers license - she gave up.  Meanwhile she still seems to have to bring everything on many occasions when dealing with matters like insurance, electrical and water - they don't want to change her name in their system for some reason.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...