Change name on bank account - a challenge?

I changed my name (all of it!), and have a new passport with my new name.
My Thai bank account (Kasikorn) is in my old name.

Does anybody have experience in this matter, whether i need some kind of legal document for the bank to accept the name change, or is it a straigth-forward procedure.

The same question goes for my Thai driving license, can i change name on that one too?

FYI: I don't live in Thailand, i don't have a work permit. I am a returning tourist.

Looking forward to some good input.

55 minutes ago, uli65 said:

close this account and make a new one

Good luck with that without the passport used for account being valid (or even with at most places).  Hopefully you have an ATM card to remove funds - then comes the fun task of finding a bank willing to open an account in your new name with only a tourist visa.

Do you have any documentation pertaining to your name change ? You probably need to get this certified by your embassy; then take this to the bank with your new passport (and old passport, or copy of same, if you have it).

I once worked with a foreign woman who was very proud of the fact that she had snagged a husband, after what I think was many years of trying. I remember her telling us at work how she was going to "have to" change her name on bank accounts etc. She must have been successful, because I don't remember ever hearing that she was not able to do it.

They probably won't even let you close the account without an ID matching the account name.  If you still have a valid ATM/debit card withdraw all you can.  If there is a little bit left the account will close after a year of inactive status and no money to pay the 50 baht/month fee.

Take both passports with you when you visit your local K-Bank branch. I would be very surprised if it doesn't work,and If they want some other documents, then they will tell you.  Thai people changes their names,too. Can't they change their names on an account? Of course they can. Don't listen to paranoid posters. 

20 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Take both passports with you when you visit your local K-Bank branch. I would be very surprised if it doesn't work,and If they want some other documents, then they will tell you.  Thai people changes their names,too. Can't they change their names on an account? Of course they can. Don't listen to paranoid posters. 

Thai do not change their ID number.  Passport is the ID number for a foreigner,  I hope no bank will allow me to steal another's account with a show of their passport.

We have a saying "It is better to ask forgiveness ... than permission"
(1) Withdraw all but 500 THB from the account
(2) THEN argue about your New identity.

I changed my nationality to Thai for my KBANK account and it was easy as pie.  I just took my ID card to the bank and they scanned it and did the job in under five minutes.  The same operation was much more difficult with other Thai banks. Because your name change documents are foreign documents I guess you will have to get certified translations notarised by the Thai Foreign Ministry.  My guess is that it will be easier and cheaper to withdraw all the funds from the old account by ATM card and open a new one in your new name.  But for the driving license they probably will need the notarised translations. Maybe you can do the same there and apply for a new one from scratch under the new name, if you also have a home country license in the new name to show them.  I would get someone to call them first to see what documents they need to change the name.  Getting the translations and notarisations is not difficult but it is time consuming and costs money.  Also the original document has to be notarised by your embassy for the ministry to notarise the translation which some embassies won't do.  Since you are only a tourist and won't need the translations regularly in Thailand, you'd be better off not having to get them.

37 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

We have a saying "It is better to ask forgiveness ... than permission"
(1) Withdraw all but 500 THB from the account
(2) THEN argue about your New identity.

Why withdraw the money, and why argue? Silly advices. 

9 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I changed my nationality to Thai for my KBANK account and it was easy as pie.  I just took my ID card to the bank and they scanned it and did the job in under five minutes.  The same operation was much more difficult with other Thai banks. Because your name change documents are foreign documents I guess you will have to get certified translations notarised by the Thai Foreign Ministry.  My guess is that it will be easier and cheaper to withdraw all the funds from the old account by ATM card and open a new one in your new name.  But for the driving license they probably will need the notarised translations. Maybe you can do the same there and apply for a new one from scratch under the new name, if you also have a home country license in the new name to show them.  I would get someone to call them first to see what documents they need to change the name.  Getting the translations and notarisations is not difficult but it is time consuming and costs money.  Also the original document has to be notarised by your embassy for the ministry to notarise the translation which some embassies won't do.  Since you are only a tourist and won't need the translations regularly in Thailand, you'd be better off not having to get them.

If he needs to open a new account, then he can withdraw the money at the Customer service in the bank and then deposit it to the new account. No need to withdraw any money using the ATM. 

My wife (Thai) changed her family name to mine as 1) we were married  and 2) we were going on a posting to the Middle East and this was going to be easier all round. I must admit that it has been a challenge for my wife in Thailand with her bank - despite having the legal Thai document recording her name change and an authorised translation of our marriage registration and her ID with my family name the pai is that Kasikorn Bank in Phimai doesn't seem to be able to cope.  Also her drivers license - she gave up.  Meanwhile she still seems to have to bring everything on many occasions when dealing with matters like insurance, electrical and water - they don't want to change her name in their system for some reason.

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, linno2 said:

My wife (Thai) changed her family name to mine as 1) we were married  and 2) we were going on a posting to the Middle East and this was going to be easier all round. I must admit that it has been a challenge for my wife in Thailand with her bank - despite having the legal Thai document recording her name change and an authorised translation of our marriage registration and her ID with my family name the pai is that Kasikorn Bank in Phimai doesn't seem to be able to cope.  Also her drivers license - she gave up.  Meanwhile she still seems to have to bring everything on many occasions when dealing with matters like insurance, electrical and water - they don't want to change her name in their system for some reason.

Good luck!

You think your wife's change of name because of getting married is the same as a guy with a new name and with a passport showing his new name? Worst case scenario is a new account in his new name, and "maybe" a certified copy of his passport from his embassy/consulate or a Certificate of Residence.

Your wife had a new thai ID-card issued from her amphoe? Why would a thai bank question that? The only thing a thai national need to open a bank account is a thai ID and depending on bank 0-500 baht deposit. They could just have created a new account and transferred the money from the old account and then closed it. 

On 11/20/2019 at 3:34 AM, allane said:

Do you have any documentation pertaining to your name change ? You probably need to get this certified by your embassy; then take this to the bank with your new passport (and old passport, or copy of same, if you have it).

I once worked with a foreign woman who was very proud of the fact that she had snagged a husband, after what I think was many years of trying. I remember her telling us at work how she was going to "have to" change her name on bank accounts etc. She must have been successful, because I don't remember ever hearing that she was not able to do it.

I do not have a specific "name change document". I have and old birth certificate and a new birth certificate. These two documents is normally enough to show a name change. Cause they both display the same personal ID.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:37 AM, lopburi3 said:

Good luck with that without the passport used for account being valid (or even with at most places).  Hopefully you have an ATM card to remove funds - then comes the fun task of finding a bank willing to open an account in your new name with only a tourist visa.

Exactly. If i cant open a new account for some reason, i have more funds than is possible to take out of Thailand.
I originally opened the account on a tourist visa, using my "yellow book".

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You think your wife's change of name because of getting married is the same as a guy with a new name and with a passport showing his new name? Worst case scenario is a new account in his new name, and "maybe" a certified copy of his passport from his embassy/consulate or a Certificate of Residence.

Your wife had a new thai ID-card issued from her amphoe? Why would a thai bank question that? The only thing a thai national need to open a bank account is a thai ID and depending on bank 0-500 baht deposit. They could just have created a new account and transferred the money from the old account and then closed it. 

Even you open a new account it's not so easy for a Thai person who changed her name. My wife had the same Issues with Bangkok Bank and SCB. Because she had an account there some time ago with her old name.. and when she tried to open a new account after 10 years not having one on Bangkok bank, they requested legal documents about marriage. The New ID issued by the Amphoe wasn't enough. And this was just 3 months ago!
Please take care as in Thailand it's not always working with foreign logic!!!

3 hours ago, dkbkk said:

Yes, i used both bank book and debit card.

Did you sign up for online banking? If the debit card you speak of is an ATM card, then that's the quickest way to 'secure' the money in an account that for the moment doesn't have any connection to your new identity (as far as the bank is concerned). If you also had online banking, then moving the money to another bank account may be a faster alternative?

I would worry that on walking into the branch and trying to prove your are not someone other than the account holder without proof, the account could be locked. Possibly only for as long as it takes you to get any documentary evidence they require but who knows how long that could take?

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

Even you open a new account it's not so easy for a Thai person who changed her name. My wife had the same Issues with Bangkok Bank and SCB. Because she had an account there some time ago with her old name.. and when she tried to open a new account after 10 years not having one on Bangkok bank, they requested legal documents about marriage. The New ID issued by the Amphoe wasn't enough. And this was just 3 months ago!
Please take care as in Thailand it's not always working with foreign logic!!!

Do you know the official requirements for a thai national to open a savings account? 15 years old and a thai ID-card. We are not talking about joint accounts now.

I don't believe a word you're saying. 

This is Thailand and every Thai person from 15 years of age has the right to open a savings account without any other documents than I just mentioned.

Archived