Jump to content
BANGKOK
marf

Maintaining a presence in home country when working abroad...

Recommended Posts

I wish to spend an extended time period of perhaps a year to several years travelling and working abroad before returning to the UK. I realise that not being resident and working in the UK for a long time can affect entitlement to health treatment and no contributions to state pension. Additionally, many banks will close your accounts if you do not have a UK address.

 

What steps are recommended to maintain a regular presence, or at least the appearance of one, whilst working abroad, with the intention of returning to the UK at a later date. Even if things change and I stay abroad, it would be nice to have some elements of a pension when I eventually retire.

 

I can change my address to have my mail delivered to friends. Can I pay additional National Insurance? Must be people running their own businesses/contractors who are not on PAYE. How to pay? How much is required?

 

Anything else that's recommended?

Edited by marf

Share this post


Link to post

I kept my address and had my post redirected. The details of any important letters copied into WhatsApp and i reply to them via friend who puts them in an english envelope with stamp. Dont worry about NI stamps..

you can lose five years. You do not lose right to NHS treatment but will need an address to have a GP. Dont tell your doc you are away...they only check after 5 years. Dont worry. I have travelled for the last 20 years plus and still.haveva UK presence.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Dont worry about NI stamps... you can lose five years.

I am not sure... I may have a sketchy NI history in the past with a lot of only part time work for about six years or so directly after university...

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Dont worry. I have travelled for the last 20 years plus and still.haveva UK presence.

Same here, but in the the next 20 years this is going to be harder to do IMO e.g banks will be able to profile you much better and will notice patterns of debit card use that are out of line with someone living in the UK etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, marf said:

I am not sure... I may have a sketchy NI history in the past with a lot of only part time work for about six years or so directly after university...

either pay a voluntary stamp class 3 £16 a week, or go self employed class 2 at under £3.00 a week, but class 2 may stop in the near future

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, steve187 said:

either pay a voluntary stamp class 3 £16 a week, or go self employed class 2 at under £3.00 a week, but class 2 may stop in the near future

You are (or at least were) treated as self employed when working overseas so pay class 2.

 

I thought I'd read somewhere that this had stopped from April 2018 and I would begin to be charged at Class 3, but so far still seem to be being charged for Class 2

  

You can also top-up the previous 6 years contributions so if you do get to pay Class 2 you might as well, but please note it's debatable whether catching up on anything before April 2016 is worth it as they changed the calculations then & seem to have baselined people so anything before then may or may not count (I'm still trying to work out as I caught up 2010-2016 so now have 36 years and they're still telling me I'm 5 years short).

  

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I caught up 2010-2016 so now have 36 years and they're still telling me I'm 5 years short).

Depends when you caught up as they calculate which system (old/new(current) your contributions gave you the most pension at April 2016.

But it is complicated by reductions if you were contracted out at any time. I had 33 but need another 8 for example due to contracting out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/19/2019 at 8:22 PM, marf said:

I am not sure... I may have a sketchy NI history in the past with a lot of only part time work for about six years or so directly after university...

You can pay a backlog of 7 years if you wish. One reason for signing on the dole is to get your stamps paid. How many years you have paid by the age of 67 will determine the size of your pension. You need 35 years for a full pension.

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

You are (or at least were) treated as self employed when working overseas so pay class 2.

Where did you get that from? I worked abroad for nearly 20 years and paid class 3 (voluntary) contributions. There was no mix up, DWP knew exactly where I was.

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Where did you get that from? I worked abroad for nearly 20 years and paid class 3 (voluntary) contributions. There was no mix up, DWP knew exactly where I was.

From HMRC, I have posted pics of the tables that they sent to me on the UK Pension thread, unfortunately the pics are on my Laptop in Singapore so won't be able to access them until I get back on 4th December.

 

I don't know if it makes a difference that I was posted overseas by the UK Bank I was working for, or if it makes a difference I was working/living in SIngapore (Which has a DTA with the UK but not a reciprocal Social Security agreement).

 

As a matter of interest where were you working whilst you were paying it?

 

 

I did a quick Google to see if I could find anything & came across this... https://app.croneri.co.uk/topics/national-insurance-employees-working-abroad/indepth skip to the Voluntary part.... 

Seconded workers who are not liable to pay Class 1 NICs may pay either voluntary Class 3 NICs or where appropriate Class 2 NICs. Class 2 and 3 contributions are set at a weekly fixed rate, adjusted around the start of each tax year. Class 2 contributions are currently considerably cheaper than Class 3 contributions and also provide a wider range of benefit entitlement. Therefore, where a person wishes to pay voluntary contributions to preserve their UK contribution record, it is advisable to pay Class 2 rather than Class 3 contributions.

 

Edit: Interesting post here 

 

Edited by Mike Teavee

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/20/2019 at 7:29 AM, Mike Teavee said:

You are (or at least were) treated as self employed when working overseas so pay class 2.

 

I thought I'd read somewhere that this had stopped from April 2018 and I would begin to be charged at Class 3, but so far still seem to be being charged for Class 2

  

You can also top-up the previous 6 years contributions so if you do get to pay Class 2 you might as well, but please note it's debatable whether catching up on anything before April 2016 is worth it as they changed the calculations then & seem to have baselined people so anything before then may or may not count (I'm still trying to work out as I caught up 2010-2016 so now have 36 years and they're still telling me I'm 5 years short).

  

what is your pension forecast showing

Share this post


Link to post

Off topic posts and replies have been removed.  The OP is seeking information about returning to the UK, not about the USA. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

From HMRC, I have posted pics of the tables that they sent to me on the UK Pension thread, unfortunately the pics are on my Laptop in Singapore so won't be able to access them until I get back on 4th December.

 

I don't know if it makes a difference that I was posted overseas by the UK Bank I was working for, or if it makes a difference I was working/living in SIngapore (Which has a DTA with the UK but not a reciprocal Social Security agreement).

 

As a matter of interest where were you working whilst you were paying it?

 

 

I did a quick Google to see if I could find anything & came across this... https://app.croneri.co.uk/topics/national-insurance-employees-working-abroad/indepth skip to the Voluntary part.... 

Seconded workers who are not liable to pay Class 1 NICs may pay either voluntary Class 3 NICs or where appropriate Class 2 NICs. Class 2 and 3 contributions are set at a weekly fixed rate, adjusted around the start of each tax year. Class 2 contributions are currently considerably cheaper than Class 3 contributions and also provide a wider range of benefit entitlement. Therefore, where a person wishes to pay voluntary contributions to preserve their UK contribution record, it is advisable to pay Class 2 rather than Class 3 contributions.

 

Edit: Interesting post here 

 

I was working in the middle east, mainly Saudi Arabia. I never researched this back in the day, I simply ran with the advise given during induction by British Aerospace.

 

As I recall, the advise was to pay class 3 NI contributions if you wish to retain full pension rights and to be able fully integrate back into the NI system on return to the UK. Who was I to argue with that?

 

Anyway, I'm glad I did, because they were quite right and as well as having a couple of periods of unemployment during I was awarded NI credits I was also able to claim a full retirement pension.

 

I haven't researched it, as I have no vested interest in doing so, but I wouldn't think that £3 for class 2 as apposed to £15 for class 3 p/w (as it is today) would have bought me all those rights.

 

The O/P @marf should really do his own homework on this. Don't just accept advise from a few forum members. What we knew back in the day, might not apply now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/19/2019 at 7:22 PM, marf said:

What steps are recommended to maintain a regular presence, or at least the appearance of one,

Illegal activity , shouldnt be discussed on a public forum 

Poster could be an informant 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...