Maintaining a presence in home country when working abroad...

marf

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Are you on a frozen pension?

I live in UK and if you read my #27, you'd see that I don't get my pension yet but they've been very helpful in providing information for when I do in approx 18 months time.

Just now, VBF said:

I live in UK and if you read my #27, you'd see that I don't get my pension yet but they've been very helpful in providing information for when I do in approx 18 months time.

Asking them for advice when you are living outside the country immediately gets you flagged for a frozen pension IMHO.

I never tell any UK government agency where I am or what I'm doing.

Someone living abroad and asking them for advice is extremely foolish (unless they're happy with a frozen pension of course).

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Asking them for advice when you are living outside the country immediately gets you flagged for a frozen pension IMHO.

Someone living abroad and asking them for advice is extremely foolish (unless they're happy with a frozen pension of course).

From the OP, it's unclear whether he's presently in UK and planning a move, or is already outside UK. Either way he's way too young to care about that issue yet - he's asking about something that will be important in 25-30 years and trying to plan for it. For all anyone knows, he may be back in UK long before then!

If it's for you, if you do phone them, they don't need to know where you are, do they? As long as they have a UK address for you of course (see #13)????

6 minutes ago, VBF said:

f it's for you, if you do phone them, they don't need to know where you are, do they? As long as they have a UK address for you of course

Be careful with that one. When I was applying for my state pension, online and from Thailand, (via a vpn which showed that I was in the UK) I'd been advised that I could do the whole process online. Not true. The final part of the process was that I call them on an 0800 number. You can't call an 0800 number from a Thai phone, in Thailand and CLI could possibly have told them that I was calling from outside the UK and possibly Thailand.

I managed to delay the process until I made my annual visit to the UK and called them from a UK phone. When I called them, I was asked to answer a couple of security questions to verify my identity. That done, I asked them how I could help them. "No, were finished, thank you" was the reply and the call ended.

A strange call and I'm convinced that it's only purpose was to check my location. A few weeks later, I started recieving my pension. No further contact.

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Be careful with that one. When I was applying for my state pension, online and from Thailand, (via a vpn which showed that I was in the UK) I'd been advised that I could do the whole process online. Not true. The final part of the process was that I call them on an 0800 number. You can't call an 0800 number from a Thai phone, in Thailand and CLI could possibly have told them that I was calling from outside the UK and possibly Thailand.

I managed to delay the process until I made my annual visit to the UK and called them from a UK phone. When I called them, I was asked to answer a couple of security questions to verify my identity. That done, I asked them how I could help them. "No, were finished, thank you" was the reply and the call ended.

A strange call and I'm convinced that it's only purpose was to check my location. A few weeks later, I started recieving my pension. No further contact.

Strange indeed. You could possibly have called from a withheld number. Then they wouldn't have known where you were.

I'm inclined to think that the purpose was more to have you answer those security questions, but obviously I don't know.

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

Strange indeed. You could possibly have called from a withheld number. Then they wouldn't have known where you were.

I'm inclined to think that the purpose was more to have you answer those security questions, but obviously I don't know.

"Number withheld" doesn't work outside the UK. Also, a government department could have "permissions" to override it.

The security questions were only questions that I'd already answered in my online application. Such as NI number. Security questions are used to validate to the person caling that they are talking to the person that they think they are talking to. I've never known them to be the sole purpose of the call.

15 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

"Number withheld" doesn't work outside the UK. Also, a government department could have "permissions" to override it.

The security questions were only questions that I'd already answered in my online application. Such as NI number. Security questions are used to validate to the person caling that they are talking to the person that they think they are talking to. I've never known them to be the sole purpose of the call.

Forever a mystery then..... :unsure:

34 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Yes, a real head scratcher for me at the end of the call. The upshot was that I was glad that I'd waited to make the call from the UK on a UK phone and a few weeks later I started to recieve my pension.

Does not have to be UK,anywhere unfrozen will do. USA,obtain US call number(or anywhere unfrozen) will do. US post boxes are good ,cheap and efficient,proof of life cert. sent here ,there and anywhere ,completed by recipient,but return post maybe a giveaway with Thai postage stamp on,get someone on return to mail it in

All this subterfuge for frozen pension escape,still I guess worth it after a few years.  The ones coming under the microscope from DWP will be the ones coming off the dependents allowance with an instant change of address if I laid odds on anything.

Still as anybody reading this, the DWP will be too,would be good if recipients of OAP read the rules and regulations appertaining to penalties associated with this kind of activity,instead of reading of their fire and brimstone,hell and hellfire <deleted>, calling out from the frozen pit,come join me its (not) so lovely in here

for the OP  its only what you tell them for NHS treatment,tell them what they want to hear.  If you have an out of UK address,you cannot renew the UK driving licence,or share dealings,or even the UK lottery,gets tighter all the time

14 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Still as anybody reading this, the DWP will be too,would be good if recipients of OAP read the rules and regulations appertaining to penalties associated with this kind of activity,instead of reading of their fire and brimstone,hell and hellfire <deleted>, calling out from the frozen pit,come join me its (not) so lovely in here

Do you know my name, address or location by reading this? No? Neither do Thai Visa or the DWP.  In my initial post I advised on "going dark", that applies to the internet not just the authorities in the UK.

It's also important for other things besides your state pension, maintaining the full services of a GP, UK bank accounts and ex wives!

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Completely the opposite, couldn't wait to tell them I was non-resident for tax purposes...

• Got back > £26,000 in Income Tax for 1st (part) year I was working OS & being paid by the UK company (Not a hard decision to choose to pay it at SIngapore rates)
  • Stopped paying top rate income tax on my UK dividends
  • Made a few chunky share sales without paying any capital gains tax 
  • Got to pay AVCs at Class 2 ???? 

What did I lose...

• Access to my GP (I'd lost that years before whilst working in the UK because I hadn't visited for > 15 years)
  • Driving License (Expired in 2013) - I don't like the Idea of telling 1 government department I live OS & another I'm living in the UK - Funny though as due to having a car stolen with my wallet & the police not returning it for 18 months (when they claimed they found it at the scene of a burglary!) I have my old Green License which doesn't expire ????
  •  My Pension will get frozen in 13.3 years ! (Private pension kicks in in 6.3 years, no freezing with that :)) 

It was a no brainer for me... 

9 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

What did I lose...

• Access to my GP (I'd lost that years before whilst working in the UK because I hadn't visited for > 15 years)
  • Driving License (Expired in 2013) - I don't like the Idea of telling 1 government department I live OS & another I'm living in the UK - Funny though as due to having a car stolen with my wallet & the police not returning it for 18 months (when they claimed they found it at the scene of a burglary!) I have my old Green License which doesn't expire ????
  •  My Pension will get frozen in 13.3 years ! (Private pension kicks in in 6.3 years, no freezing with that :)) 

Still registered with my GP, not seen him for 10 years (he wrote to me last year and asked if a wanted a free cancer check kit).

Renewed my D/L last year online, ticking the 'use passport' box.

I only have pensions originated and paid in the UK, so taxed wherever I am in the world.

UK credit checks still work using the address I lived in 10 years back.

Why would I tell anyone in government I'm on holiday overseas in Thailand for 90 days?

On 11/21/2019 at 8:16 AM, sanemax said:
On 11/20/2019 at 2:22 AM, marf said:

What steps are recommended to maintain a regular presence, or at least the appearance of one,

Illegal activity , shouldnt be discussed on a public forum 

Poster could be an informant 

Serious question, what do you see as the illegal part, i.e. breaking UK law, in the OP's case?

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Still registered with my GP, not seen him for 10 years (he wrote to me last year and asked if a wanted a free cancer check kit).

Renewed my D/L last year online, ticking the 'use passport' box.

I only have pensions originated and paid in the UK, so taxed wherever I am in the world.

Why would I tell anyone in government I'm on holiday overseas for 90 days?

Many years back my (maybe all) GPs did a census to see if people were still living locally, I was working in Glasgow at the time so didn't bother to fill it in - But my brother lost his registration as he hadn't visited for 5 years (He'd also moved away).

Obviously you need to tell DVLC you live at a UK address & I chose not to do that even though I could prove an address with my UK Bank Statements (I use my parents house as my correspondence address, my bank knows I work overseas, they're the ones that put me there) & Utility Bills (share the same name as my father)   

Lol - I think life is one permanent 90 day holiday for you ???? Soon to be for me, last (& only) day in the office 6th December ???? 

27 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

For a full state pension 30 years' contributions are required (unless you a man born before 6th April 1945 when 44 years NIC would be needed).  

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/eligibility

That is for the Basic State pension. The poster Scouse123 was born in 1962, so will claim the New State Pension - 35 years of contributions required. 

Eligibility

You’re eligible for the basic State Pension if you were born before:

• 6 April 1951 if you’re a man
  • 6 April 1953 if you’re a woman

If you were born on or after these dates you must claim the new State Pension.

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Serious question, what do you see as the illegal part, i.e. breaking UK law, in the OP's case?

Appearing to have a presence in the UK, when you dont have that presence .

That may not be illegal itself , but reasons for doing so are probably illegal

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:
8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Sorry, I can't think of any, what sort of things would you be thinking of?  I just don't think it's even touching on being illegal.

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Why would someone want to pretend to be somewhere where they're not ?

To keep a bank account alive, perhaps, to remain on a doctors list, maybe?   I don't know.   You said that the topic shouldn't be discussed here because of the rules, what were your "illegal" ideas? 

Just asking a genuine question, sorry if you didn't like it.

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

To keep a bank account alive, perhaps, to remain on a doctors list, maybe, I don't know?   What were your "illegal" ideas?  Just asking a genuine question, sorry if you didn't like it.

Those two are against the rules , both fraudulent behavour 

21 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You obviously mean winning the UK lottery using a VPN ?,yes I see what you mean,but it is possible to get a good story together before the Camelot guy comes a'knocking

No probability about anything,not illegal,says so,Pension Credit will have problems tho  ,state no

4 minutes ago, izod10 said:
31 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You obviously mean winning the UK lottery using a VPN ?,yes I see what you mean,but it is possible to get a good story together before the Camelot guy comes a'knocking

Even that wouldn't be illegal, it would contravene Camelot's rules and they wouldn't pay out (don't think that they wouldn't check!) but that's all.

17 minutes ago, izod10 said:

No probability about anything,not illegal,says so,Pension Credit will have problems tho  ,state no

Receiving state benefits , like sickness benefit and then being outside the UK longer that whats allowed , for example

Archived