Maintaining a presence in home country when working abroad...

marf

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Sorry, I can't think of any, what sort of things would you be thinking of?  I just don't think it's even touching on being illegal.

I think I can.

58 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Why would someone want to pretend to be somewhere where they're not ?

I think there are a few points here, some which I have come across:

1. A guy I knew down in Phuket had his money going into a UK account and had a friends address as his abode. This was because he was drawing pension and not entitled to annual increases if he lived in Thailand as it was not on the list of countries allowed by the FCO.

2. When you are out of the country for over a certain amount of months per year, you are classed as non resident and therefore not entitled to free healthcare from the NHS or to be registered with a doctor.As a non resident, not many banks I know will accept you in the high street.

3.Free healthcare and NHS services are provided for UK citizens/residents and those from the EU under reciprocal arrangements working in the UK. This is why they are clamping down on the free ' medical tourism ' to the UK. They want to know where UK residents actually are and that they are in the country.

4. People fraudulently on sickness benefits claiming long term health problems but actually sat in Thailand in a beer bar in soi 6 don't cut it.

All the above are illegal and that is why they would pretend to be in the UK whilst being elsewhere I should imagine.

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

I think I can.

I think there are a few points here, some which I have come across:

1. A guy I knew down in Phuket had his money going into a UK account and had a friends address as his abode. This was because he was drawing pension and not entitled to annual increases if he lived in Thailand as it was not on the list of countries allowed by the FCO.

All the above are illegal and that is why they would pretend to be in the UK whilst being elsewhere I should imagine.

Not illegal,says so,no sanctions,no payback,nothing.OA pensioner cannot be accused of fraud if on state pension.  DWP can come up with all sorts of schemes.   Trying to pin a frozen pension on a couple of individuals years ago came to nothing as well.   anyway it all there if you care to read up on it

18 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Not illegal,says so,no sanctions,no payback,nothing.OA pensioner cannot be accused of fraud if on state pension.  DWP can come up with all sorts of schemes.   Trying to pin a frozen pension on a couple of individuals years ago came to nothing as well.   anyway it all there if you care to read up on it

Is pretending to be in the UK in order to receive extra money not fraud ?

You would be receiving money that you are not entitled too 

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Is pretending to be in the UK in order to receive extra money not fraud ?

You would be receiving money that you are not entitled too 

Could be in US,Ph anywhere. If rules have been made that in effect are unenforceable,just who is at fault?   No, its not fraud,stated before OAP cannot be held accountable for fraud whilst on state pension...take it up with DWP if it bothers you

The frozen pension came about through default. Early 50s the UK govt set out to make individual agreements with most countries,'cept commonwealth, but ran out of money/time/patience/whatever, and left it at that. Its a relic of past times,was not originally designed like it is

Here is something Ive thought about for eons,and before this thread dies out of sheer boredom,how about this?

I open an account with (say) Maybank PH,prolific bank throughout SE Asia,may have to have PO address for short time,...have DWP send it directly there(unfrozen)....in a foreign currency account so the £ stays at a £,no currency fees,issue ATM card,yes maybe fees there,but online transfer to Maybank TH,again no fees for interbank transfer,ATM card issued in Thailand,could gad around Thailand all day,and night spending Filipino money

Still the proof of life form,..but the manager of Maybank PH would deal with that for small fee

I have probably lived half of my working life out of the UK.  I always paid UK NI and Tax, even when paid by a foreign based company. kept a property there, was on the electoral roll at each of my houses, registered with a doctor, ensued that I met the tax rules for residency in terms of time spent in the UK etc. In effect, I only worked abroad, but kept my permanent residency in the UK.  It's the expensive way of doing it, but in the long run, better, at least for me. 

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I have probably lived half of my working life out of the UK.  I always paid UK NI and Tax, even when paid by a foreign based company. kept a property there, was on the electoral roll at each of my houses, registered with a doctor, ensued that I met the tax rules for residency in terms of time spent in the UK etc. In effect, I only worked abroad, but kept my permanent residency in the UK.  It's the expensive way of doing it, but in the long run, better, at least for me. 

I think I'll always consider myself to just be a frequent visitor to Thailand, Thailand does not offer a visa invite with stated indefinite continuity, such as the Philippines (though there is still an insurance aspect). The Philippines appears to be the only country in region, set up with an offer to UK retirees, never been there though!

Guidance seems to be;-always be in the UK for 92 days (present at the end of the day) in any UK tax year (Though it could be 46 days every few years), and not, be repeatedly, continuously be out of the UK for more than 90 days per trip. After that things become slightly more grey area. 

I still have a decade before any state pension complications! and my pension income should be sufficient to have permanently excluded me from any social benefits, never wish to contact the DWP except for my state pensions or additional NI payments over the next 10 years. 

I think the non indexing of pensions ???? in some overseas locations is totally unfair. If they had to have some sanction they could deduct the typical VAT spend proportion (~7.3%ish), if not spent, saved (special retirement ISA) or gifted to family in the UK. i.e. a couple of years indexation may off set such a sanction compared with the current situation for those in Thailand. 

Archived