Claim Your Space advert

bluesofa

Now firstly I know this isn't only Thailand motorcycle related, so it may need moving somewhere more relevant?

Motorcycling here in Thailand and seeing the alleged 'motorbike' lane on the very inside that doubles as a car park and sales pitch for food and furniture vendors, got me thinking about where motorcyclists position themselves in the normal traffic lanes. Towards the inside, or in the middle of the lane?

Does anyone remember a UK motorcycle advert decades ago that used the phrase "claim your space"? It was encouraging motorcyclists to position themselves in the centre of the lane, to avoid being overtaken too closely by cars, as well as making themselves more visible.

I can't remember who ran the campaign - if it was a government/public information advert, or a motorcycle group?

I did try google UK, but it didn't turn up anything.

Claiming your space is a good idea for bigger bikes that are keeping up with the traffic but if it's a case of mum and dad with 2 kids and no helmets poodling along in the middle of the lane at 40kph then they are probably safer on the left if they don't want to get a speeding pick up crashing into their rear.

8 minutes ago, Denim said:

Claiming your space is a good idea for bigger bikes that are keeping up with the traffic but if it's a case of mum and dad with 2 kids and no helmets poodling along in the middle of the lane at 40kph then they are probably safer on the left if they don't want to get a speeding pick up crashing into their rear.

Yes, that's a very valid comment. I'm only on a 150cc Click, but I drive faster than most locals, so am always going at the same speed (if not faster) than the rest of the traffic in (slow) Udon.

I take it the "poodling along" was due to the small dog in the front shopping basket?

(sorry!)

Can't recall that one 'Sof but I am a crustacean so maybe it came after I first took to bikes in't 70's .. 

I do recall the later " think once , think twice , think bike " with a bloke karate chopping a table .. which used to go well whenever " everybody was kung <deleted> fighting " blasted out at the local working mans club disco .. 

The core of claiming the centre of the lane can work in ordered , structured society's where citizens obey the rules of de' road .. But from my observations structured usually draw's " arai " in response  and ordered only seems to work in the restaurants as in " you want order mitter " .. 

IMG_20191120_040326.jpg

1 minute ago, Justgrazing said:

Can't recall that one 'Sof but I am a crustacean so maybe it came after I first took to bikes in't 70's .. 

I do recall the later " think once , think twice , think bike " with a bloke karate chopping a table .. which used to go well whenever " everybody was kung <deleted> fighting " blasted out at the local working mans club disco .. 

The core of claiming the centre of the lane can work in ordered , structured society's where citizens obey the rules of de' road .. But from my observations structured usually draw's " arai " in response  and ordered only seems to work in the restaurants as in " you want order mitter " .. 

IMG_20191120_040326.jpg

Yes, I remember the "think once , think twice , think bike" advert.

The one I'm referring to "claim your space", was 70's onwards. I have a hazy memory about it, but I'm not sure if it featured a police motorcyclist?

I'm sure some will recall the details at some point.

Archived