Two jail guards for Jeffrey Epstein charged with cover-up in his suicide

webfact

Two jail guards for Jeffrey Epstein charged with cover-up in his suicide

By Brendan Pierson

2019-11-19T221751Z_1_LYNXMPEFAI29S_RTROPTP_4_PEOPLE-JEFFREY-EPSTEIN-GUARDS.JPG

Courtroom sketch shows Lawyer Jason Foy speaking next to Tova Noel, lawyer Montell Figgins and Michael Thomas as Thomas and Noel appear on charges they falsely certified to having conducted inmate counts during Jeffrey Epstein's final hours at the Federal Court in New York City, New York, U.S., November 19, 2019. REUTERS/Jane Rosenberg

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Two jail officers falsified records to cover up their failure to check in on accused sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in the hours before the financier killed himself, U.S. prosecutors said on Tuesday.

According to an indictment, Tova Noel and Michael Thomas fell asleep and surfed the internet instead of monitoring Epstein, who was found unresponsive on Aug. 10 in his cell at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in downtown Manhattan. An autopsy concluded that Epstein hanged himself.

Epstein's suicide, at age 66, came a little over a month after the well-connected money manager was arrested and charged with trafficking dozens of underage girls as young as 14 from at least 2002 to 2005. He had pleaded not guilty.

In an afternoon hearing, Noel and Thomas pleaded not guilty before U.S. Magistrate Judge Sarah Netburn to charges they falsely certified to having conducted inmate counts during Epstein's final hours, and to a conspiracy charge. They are each expected to be released on bail.

"It is our hope that we will be able to reach a reasonable agreement in this case," Noel's lawyer, Jason Foy, told reporters outside the courthouse, but added that his client was prepared to defend against the charges.

Thomas's lawyer, Montell Figgins, said his client was disappointed that prosecutors had decided to charge him criminally.

"We look forward to our day in court and we hope there will be a positive resolution," he said.

The defendants were the first to be criminally charged in connection with Epstein's death, which embarrassed federal officials because the case had an unusually high profile.

Attorney General William Barr said in August he had been "appalled" to learn of Epstein's death.

Prosecutors are also examining the activities of people who Epstein's accusers say helped him engage in sex trafficking.

MONITORING SALES, NOT EPSTEIN

No one checked on Epstein in the eight hours before he was found unresponsive in his cell, according to the indictment.

Prosecutors said Noel and Thomas, the only correctional officers on duty in Epstein's unit, appeared to have fallen asleep for two hours during their shift.

Noel spent some of her waking hours surfing the internet for furniture sales and benefit websites, they said, while Thomas looked up websites for motorcycle sales and sports news.

Noel had been a correctional officer in the Manhattan jail since 2016, and Thomas since 2007, prosecutors said.

According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, which runs the jail, the last inmate suicide there occurred in 2006.

Epstein had been taken off suicide watch shortly before his death.

"Any allegations of misconduct are taken very seriously by the agency and will be responded to appropriately," prison bureau director Kathleen Hawk Sawyer said in a statement. "I am committed to this agency and am confident we will restore the public's trust in us."

Noel, 31, was charged with five counts of falsifying records, while Thomas, 41, was charged with three counts.

U.S. prosecutors on Tuesday unveiled criminal charges accusing two correctional officers of falsifying records on the night financier Jeffrey Epstein killed himself in a New York jail cell. Lisa Bernhard has more.

Those charges and the related conspiracy charges each carries a maximum five-year prison term.

"The defendants had a duty to ensure the safety and security of federal inmates in their care," U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman said in a statement.

"Instead, they repeatedly failed to conduct mandated checks on inmates, and lied on official forms to hide their dereliction."

NOTHING 'OTHER THAN A SUICIDE'

Epstein's brother and lawyers who represented him in his criminal case have expressed doubts about the medical examiner's suicide finding.

There was no indication that Epstein's death was "anything other than a suicide," Hawk Sawyer said at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on oversight of the prison bureau.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Justice's Office of Inspector General have also been investigating the circumstances of Epstein's death.

Epstein's estate, worth an estimated $577 million, is now the target of civil lawsuits by more than a dozen of his accusers. Executors for the estate have proposed creating a victim compensation fund to resolve the claims.

Epstein's friends once included U.S. President Donald Trump, former President Bill Clinton and Britain's Prince Andrew.

One of Epstein's accusers has said in a lawsuit that she was forced to have sex with Prince Andrew. The prince has denied that claim.

(Reporting by Brendan Pierson in New York; Additional reporting by Mark Hosenball and Sarah N. Lynch in Washington; Editing by Noeleen Walder, Bernadette Baum and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-20

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

According to an indictment, Tova Noel and Michael Thomas fell asleep

Conspiratory theorists ,will say they were only doing their job,

and someone slipped in the cell,to silence Epstein,who knew too

much about some very powerful people.

regards Worgeordie

12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Conspiratory theorists ,will say they were only doing their job,

and someone slipped in the cell,to silence Epstein,who knew too

much about some very powerful people.

regards Worgeordie

I personally think it's a little more than a conspiracy. Very plausible that he was silenced.

The leaked video of ABC anchor Amy Robach gives clues to what happens if you threaten to expose the elites (Bill Clinton, Prince Andew etc).

Scary.

4 hours ago, Bassosa said:

I personally think it's a little more than a conspiracy. Very plausible that he was silenced.

The leaked video of ABC anchor Amy Robach gives clues to what happens if you threaten to expose the elites (Bill Clinton, Prince Andew etc).

Scary.

He isn't the only person connected to the Clinton's to die mysteriously and conveniently.

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

He isn't the only person connected to the Clinton's to die mysteriously and conveniently.

WAY too many coincidences, particularly on such a high profile case. Epstein had too much he could have traded for a light sentence, he didn't kill himself.

Those standard "means, motive, opportunity" regarding crimes might be useful to consider.

Rich and powerful have the "means" ya think?

So many probably wanted him silent, going through list would be like Murder on the Orient Express... might be easier to find who didn't want him dead. So plenty of "motive".

Troubling how all the elements fell into place for "Opportunity": sleeping guards, cell mate moved, non functioning CCTV.

I wonder if moved cell mate could add any info: why was he moved, what was Epstein's mood, etc etc

Not saying he was murdered, but.....

Smells like a cover up of the cover up. I think this is 100% murder and some very big bags of money handed out, career's ended for facilitating the crime. If I were one of the guards and I was told to turn a blind eye and not just put to sleep I would be kacking myself right now as life prospects will not be good. 

Famed pathologist Michael Baden says Jeffrey Epstein’s death was homicide

https://nypost.com/2019/10/30/famed-pathologist-michael-baden-says-jeffrey-epsteins-death-was-homicide/

baden is world renowned international expert

Forensic Pathologist: Person Who Performed Epstein Autopsy in My Presence Didn’t Sign Off on Suicide Finding

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/forensic-pathologist-person-who-performed-epstein-autopsy-in-my-presence-didnt-sign-off-on-suicide-finding/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/expert-on-jeffrey-epsteins-death-ive-not-seen-in-50-years-where-that-occurred-in-a-suicidal-hanging-case-2019-10-30

Epstein had a bail hearing pending
Epstein prepared a transfer of assets to a trust 2 days prior but did not allow adequate time to transfer 

Epstein was on suicide watch but taken off very quickly after the attempt
Epstein had a cell mate but he was transferred one day prior to the suicide

Epstein's cell had security cameras all were not functional at the time of his death

Epstein had two security guards to check on him every 30 minutes, both claimed to fall asleep

Epstein had neck bones broken unusual in hanging, typical in strangulation

Epstein prison is high security,  Only one suicide in past 40 years.

One coincidence, perhaps but multiple events as described, not likely it was a suicide. 

2 hours ago, J Town said:

I'm gonna step out on a limb here and say up front:

The security guards didn't kill themselves.

I agree, they didn't kill themselves, they just looked away while someone else did the killing.  Or should I read that as the guards didn't kill themselves yet but suicide may be in their futures ?   Whoever did it is probably dead themselves by now.

2 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I agree, they didn't kill themselves, they just looked away while someone else did the killing.  Or should I read that as the guards didn't kill themselves yet but suicide may be in their futures ?   Whoever did it is probably dead themselves by now.

Yeah, wry humor, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if these two met with some very suspicious "fatal accidents."

Epstein did not kill himself.  Just look at the photos of him supposedly being wheeled into the hospital, and then look at the photos of Jeffrey himself.  It is clearly two different individuals.  Why wasn't there a DNA test done at the autopsy to prove it was Epstein's body?  Why weren't the surveillance cameras working that morning?  Wouldn't they have shown anyone go in or out of Epstein's cell at that specific timeframe?  Was he murdered by some of the most powerful people in the world?  Or is he being held in protective custody?

This whole thing is extremely suspicious....

The Clinton's do have a very long list of suspicious deaths connected to them going all the way back to Arkansa.  Obama has his own list as well, but it's nothing close to the size of the Clinton's... 

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Smells like a cover up of the cover up. I think this is 100% murder and some very big bags of money handed out, career's ended for facilitating the crime. If I were one of the guards and I was told to turn a blind eye and not just put to sleep I would be kacking myself right now as life prospects will not be good. 

agree with you, sure he was murdered by one of his "friends" that felt threatened by his possible deal with the DOJ.... now let's wait and see how the USA justice works, but would bet that anyone found guilty will be pardoned fast by Trump since this one was also on Epstein list of friends/contacts..... MAFIA at work now within the DOJ

31 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

agree with you, sure he was murdered by one of his "friends" that felt threatened by his possible deal with the DOJ.... now let's wait and see how the USA justice works, but would bet that anyone found guilty will be pardoned fast by Trump since this one was also on Epstein list of friends/contacts..... MAFIA at work now within the DOJ

given trumps payoffs to past women and alleged affairs doesn't seem trump was on the kiddie plan or plane. many wealthy nyc socialites have met before.

worked with the nyc bureaucracy system before and while the guards actions and inactions are dereliction of duty there exists a culture of that. nurses and or nurses aides seemingly on multihour coffee breaks or reading newspaper, patient transport workers not to be found.  security guards falling asleep while wrong might just be "plausible deniability" in the culture of mediocrity.

my gut feeling;  an expensive hit 

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

His surname is the same as The Beatles manager who was Brian EpSTEIN as in STEIN, the pot from which to drink BIER. Why does the BBC and other news channels call him EpSTIEN?

A marvelous family the Steins,

there's Ep and there's Gurt and there's Ein, 

Ep's statues are junk,

Gurt's poems are bunk,

And nobody understands Ein!

????

The big problem with most conspiracy theories is that they require a lot of folk to work together in a ahem 'conspiracy' for the desired result to happen. And I'll let you into a secret that we humans are very bad at keeping secrets.  Anyway that's what George Soros has paid me to post. 

“”Conspiracy theories: They're just fairy tales adults tell each other on YouTube.
—John Oliver

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory

Mods this is a open source wiki so can quote extensively without the need for fair use

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Clinton_body_count

When Epstein was found dead in his cell by apparent suicide, various pundits and politicians noted that it was suspicious that a man who could have indicted other rich a@@holes in a pedophilia ring was suddenly silenced.[15] Online, the phrase "Epstein didn’t kill himself" became a meme.[16] Naturally, a dead guy with a salacious story around him was perfect fuel for the internet's conspiracy theorists, and they started acting as if Epstein had been found with Bill Clinton's fingerprints on his constricted throat, and with Bill Clinton's photo ID clutched in his dead hand.

In reality, his suicide seems to be a result of basic negligence. Epstein, who had previously tried to hang himself, was taken off suicide watch prematurely and left alone in his cell with no cellmate and no supervision.[17] It's apparent that the lower Manhattan federal prison in which Epstein was incarcerated had utterly failed to follow its own protocols.[18] Reports suggest that Epstein was having difficulties adjusting to prison life, as you might expect from a dickwad billionaire, and he was also among the demographic of inmates who are most likely to commit suicide (recently incarcerated prisoners awaiting trial).[19]

Conspiracy theories also ignore that Mr. Epstein was not the sole source of evidence that could, hypothetically, be used against those with purported motivation to kill him. His accusers are still alive and have a voice.[20] Moreover, evidence of other possible crimes (e.g., emails, phone records, financial statements, address books[21], etc.) would easily survive Mr. Epstein. Assuming that conspirators were powerful and clever enough to murder Mr. Epstein in a secure federal detention facility by himself, yet incapable of eliminating other witnesses and destroying other evidence, or too stupid to consider that killing Mr. Epstein might not be enough to cover their tracks, is beyond credulity.

Trump naturally joined in on the hysteria by retweeting a post suggesting that Epstein was murdered by the Clintons, even including #ClintonBodyCount.[22] Of course, the honorable and trustworthy Donald Trump would never peddle baseless conspiracies.Do You Believe That?

Oh and my addition is that the Queen - (chief Illuminati shape shifting lizard) can't protect her favorite son from relentless scrutiny and public shame. Despite her huge powers and almost infinite reach !

File:Dollarnote siegel hq.jpg

Archived