BANGKOK
webfact

Koh Samui: Bank customers beware - manager in alleged 9 million fraud got another job on the island

Koh Samui: Bank customers beware - manager in alleged 9 million fraud got another job on the island

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

An assistant bank manager who a customer claims stole 9 million baht of her money using a fake ATM card and fake signatures on withdrawal slips has just moved to another bank. 

The alleged thief is claimed to still be working on the holiday island of Koh Samui.

The scandal dates back years but is only now fully coming to light. 

A woman in the real estate business in Surat Thani claims that the manager used fake signatures to get an ATM card before emptying a savings account over many years with withdrawals in the 10,000 to 100,000 range. 

They also got 1 million baht using a fake signature on a withdrawal slip. 

It is not known if the assistant took a job at another branch or a different bank - either way the bank has not been named due to Thailand's tough defamation laws, notes Thaivisa. 

After years of trying to get her money Jittima Suphannapong, 43, has gone to the press in desperation. 

Years of pressing the bank in question and a full year after filing a police report nothing has happened to get her money back. Now with a downturn in the real estate market Jittima is desperate for the money stolen from her. 

1pm2.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The saga began in 2012 when she opened a savings account with 9.5 million from a land sale. The assistant bank manager at a newly opened branch was recommended to her by people in the real estate industry. 

Instead of looking after her interests she claims that between December of 2012 and December of the next year the assistant manager applied for an ATM card using a fake signature and ID and started to bleed her account dry. 

By 2015 9 million had gone missing. 

She said that she noticed this when a check bounced. Thai Rath did not explain how the theft had managed to go undetected for so long. 

She went to the bank to complain but in the four years since then nothing has happened. 

She claimed that the assistant manager in question - having got wind of the investigation - resigned and went to work at another bank on Koh Samui. 

Dissatisfied with progress in November 2018 she filed a police report. 

But still nothing has moved on in the case prompting her appeal to the press today. 

She presented evidence in the form of statements, ATM withdrawals and fake Thai ID signatures. 

The case comes after one last week where a famous restaurant owner in Samut Prakan lost millions from an account with Bangkok Bank. 

In that case the customer swiftly got his money back and a female bank employee is facing charges of embezzlement. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-20
  • Sad 5

1.  and within the bank, there was access to her actual Signature, each time a Cheque came in for Clearing.
  2. The victims signature always evolves ever so slightly over time... so the thief could always keep her fake one, current!

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

That's why I check my fixed accounts at least once a month,

You have bank robbers and here, robbers inside of the bank.

regards Worgeordie

That’s why my 800K goes in n out on my yearly extension day!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Olmate said:

That’s why my 800K goes in n out on my yearly extension day!

That's why I use monthly transfers. 800k in a Thai bank for 5 months and 400k permanently residing in the bank? Am I stupid?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And those are just the ones that make the news.... not counting all the other ones that we'll never hear or know about.

...you mean those that no one knows about so, by definition, they're just as likely to not exist as exist?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

That's why I check my fixed accounts at least once a month,

You have bank robbers and here, robbers inside of the bank.

regards Worgeordie

That's OK, but if you check your account on 1st of the month, and someone nicks your dosh on 2nd............

A good series just started on Channel 5 (UK) called COLD CALL. Similar type of stuff.

• Thanks 2