BANGKOK
webfact

Koh Samui: Bank customers beware - manager in alleged 9 million fraud got another job on the island

20 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Anti defamation laws ? You mean you can,t call a thief a thief ? !!!

You can, but be prepared to be sued - even if they're guilty.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Best calling him a "tea leaf". I sometimes, in moments of anger, call Thai people "noodles". My wife always says, "why you call him doo doo?". Smiles to self.

38 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Ridiculous isn't it? naming and shaming the expat financial advisers that breed in Thailand would have saved a lot of people money! me included.

Slowly but surely there is less and less that it is permissible to have an opinion on, before long people will just be looking at their mobile devices instead on indulging in intelligent conversation. 😆

We will always have the weather to talk about though, we will just have to preface any conversation with "climate change" has allowed us a nice day today or ????

47 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Friend of me got sued for defamation after a bad google rating. Company was found guilty of scamming him but defamation lawsuit against him is still ongoing. Absolute joke...

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Not in Thailand... apparently!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

Not in Thailand... apparently!

You have to call them an unorthodox opportunity taker.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

That's why I use monthly transfers. 800k in a Thai bank for 5 months and 400k permanently residing in the bank? Am I stupid?

Please, Thai immigration chief, prevent us retirees from losing our 800,000 Baht (during the 5-month period) and 400,000 Baht (during the 7-month period). Don't give bank criminals the chance to clean us out! May you attain Nirbanna for your merciful compassion of our possible potential plight!

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

but he won't get anymore money out of you, if he's already got it all...

• Haha 1

No, because it damages their reputation and they can sue you for that. Even though they might have been jailed for the offence. The fact is that you have damaged their reputation, so they will win the case. Just another way that Thailand is different to the real world.

I have often wondered how, for example, you can be an honest restaurant critic in Thailand. I guess the answer is that you can't, because if you write negatively and damage their business they have the right to take you to court, Even if what you wrote is 100 percent true and can be proved.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

...you mean those that no one knows about so, by definition, they're just as likely to not exist as exist?

They do exist. I know of a male bank employee in my Amphur who went to prison after stealing 2m bht. Never made the national news. His girlfriend (member of sister-in-laws family) was lucky to escape prosecution as she received lavish gifts out of sync with his bank salary. The g/f's family are well connected with a local Headman. 

4 hours ago, joebrown said:
7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

...you mean those that no one knows about so, by definition, they're just as likely to not exist as exist?

They do exist. I know of a male bank employee in my Amphur who went to prison after stealing 2m bht. Never made the national news. His girlfriend (member of sister-in-laws family) was lucky to escape prosecution as she received lavish gifts out of sync with his bank salary. The g/f's family are well connected with a local Headman. 

Ok, that's one, just one, not "all the other ones"!.

Edited by Just Weird

I would think that there are more to that story, than revealed here...🤔

If the robber was a foreigner he would be doing time in thailand ... its time to sell and move on ... thailand is done ...  

10 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Ok, that's one, just one, not "all the other ones"!.

Well then, I'll give you another one for good measure! A middle aged family man stole money from the only bank branch in my Baan. He stole to gamble on the Fixed Price Football Odds, thinking he could win enough to reimburse the accounts he stole from. Never went to prison nor made the newspapers, because his extended family chipped in to pay back all he stole, in order to save face.

I'm one of many thousands of expats in LOS and I'm not a gambling man, but I know of 2 cases of bank employee fraud, so I wonder what the odds are on .........

• Haha 1

the postman FAKED my signature on court papers he was supposed to only deliver in person and return to court if not delivered

but off course... after a complain , NOTHING happened ... he still has his job

• Confused 1