Koh Samui: Bank customers beware - manager in alleged 9 million fraud got another job on the island

webfact

4 hours ago, joebrown said:
14 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Ok, that's one, just one, not "all the other ones"!.

Well then, I'll give you another one for good measure! A middle aged family man stole money from the only bank branch in my Baan. He stole to gamble on the Fixed Price Football Odds, thinking he could win enough to reimburse the accounts he stole from. Never went to prison nor made the newspapers, because his extended family chipped in to pay back all he stole, in order to save face.

I'm one of many thousands of expats in LOS and I'm not a gambling man, but I know of 2 cases of bank employee fraud, so I wonder what the odds are on .........

Ok, two!   Hardly good measure or qualifying as "all the others"!

"Never went to prison nor made the newspapers, because his extended family chipped in to pay back all he stole..."

That's because that's the way Thai law can operate, if someone is compensated and chooses not to prosecute that is their choice and perfectly acceptable, whether you like it or not!

"...I know of 2 cases of bank employee fraud, so I wonder what the odds are on ......…"

Not in your favour, I'd wager!

17 hours ago, khunPer said:

I would think that there are more to that story, than revealed here...????

This type of scamming goes on all over the world. The only difference is the way that the bad guys are treated. Here in Thailand avoiding loss of face - even criminal face, is paramount.

I agree with khunPer. There seems to be a lot of information missing. Why the long wait before contacting the police?

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Ok, two!   Hardly good measure or qualifying as "all the others"!

"Never went to prison nor made the newspapers, because his extended family chipped in to pay back all he stole..."

That's because that's the way Thai law can operate, if someone is compensated and chooses not to prosecute that is their choice and perfectly acceptable, whether you like it or not!

"...I know of 2 cases of bank employee fraud, so I wonder what the odds are on ......…"

Not in your favour, I'd wager!

Strange! From the tone of your post you seem to infer that we should accept the illegal acts of thieving bank employees because it's a cultural trait in LOS. I'm surprised you haven't suggested these thieves should be promoted because of their exceptional business acumen.

You can put lipstick on a pig and call it 'Sugar' but no matter how much you dress it up it's still a pig!

I've not got any worries.ive blended in so well with the Thai way and I've now not got a pot to pish in.oh tell a lie,I've got 630b in an account for emergencies.no money no worries,Thai style.

as long as I've got food on the table,bills paid,gas in the scooter I'm happy.i couldn't give a toss about the baht,pound,bank stealing my money,being ripped off,life is ok believe it or not.

in fact a lot of my pals have pensions,shares,savings and they don't seem very happy to me and quite a few of them have too much time and money on their hands and drink too much.

What good does filing a police report do?  Sure it may document things, and the cops may take some action, but doesn't Thailand have a civilian court system?  Granted probably controlled completely behind the scenes by the military.  Can't a Thai person sue somebody in court or must they wait for the police to do it?

This is one of many reasons it isn't a good idea to go along with immigrations moronic idea of depositing 800,000 baht in a Thai bank just to get a one year visa.  You would have to look long and hard to find wealthy Thai citizens who deposit their money in Thai banks. 

17 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

This is one of many reasons it isn't a good idea to go along with immigrations moronic idea of depositing 800,000 baht in a Thai bank just to get a one year visa.  You would have to look long and hard to find wealthy Thai citizens who deposit their money in Thai banks. 

And your wonderful, alternative proposed solution for retirees is ........??????

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

And your wonderful, alternative proposed solution for retirees is ........??????

Move, the party is over.  If you are a European Union passport holder, you have several much better places to live in Europe.  If you are an American passport holder, you would have a different set of options, all of which wouldn't require depositing money into a third world banking system.  Thailand is a wonderful country to live in for a western retiree but once they required the 800,000 baht deposit in a Thai bank, and now health insurance on top of 90 day reporting and TM30 forms, it isn't such a wonderful destination anymore.  I guess it boils down to your pain threshold.  It's up to you.  I'm surprised you asked. 

On 11/24/2019 at 3:46 PM, CMNightRider said:

Not sure what wealthy Thai citizens you know but I am not aware that they would not put their money into Thai bank at all...

Just for those who wrongly believe that Thai banks are not credit worthy - the top 3 Thai banks have a higher international credit rating than Deutsche Bank...

On 11/24/2019 at 3:46 PM, CMNightRider said:

It's ridiculous to think wealthy Thai's don't deposit their funds in Thailand, absolute nonsense. It's also fallacy that Thai banks aren't solvent, https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30373916

On 11/25/2019 at 2:49 PM, CMNightRider said:

Move, the party is over.  If you are a European Union passport holder, you have several much better places to live in Europe.  If you are an American passport holder, you would have a different set of options, all of which wouldn't require depositing money into a third world banking system.  Thailand is a wonderful country to live in for a western retiree but once they required the 800,000 baht deposit in a Thai bank, and now health insurance on top of 90 day reporting and TM30 forms, it isn't such a wonderful destination anymore.  I guess it boils down to your pain threshold.  It's up to you.  I'm surprised you asked. 

Ahh. So, your solution is to run away.

I have had bank accounts here in Thailand for 26 years. Never lost even a single baht.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 6:27 AM, huberthammer said:

Not sure what wealthy Thai citizens you know but I am not aware that they would not put their money into Thai bank at all...

Just for those who wrongly believe that Thai banks are not credit worthy - the top 3 Thai banks have a higher international credit rating than Deutsche Bank...

I believe we travel in totally different circles.  

On 12/3/2019 at 10:55 AM, Tropicalevo said:

Ahh. So, your solution is to run away.

I have had bank accounts here in Thailand for 26 years. Never lost even a single baht.

I'm sure you must be very wealthy by keeping your money in Thai banks for 26 years.  Thank you for sharing ???? 

Archived