J.C on immigration cooking the retiree frog....

fforest1

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the point comes I am denied entry or refused a VISA, I'll just abandon my son, step-daughter and gf.

And default on my mortgage repayments, already been looking at houses in France.

But I'd rather it was the Thai government everyone sees as the 'bad guy', than me seen as a 'deadbeat dad'.

Too old to worry about other people now, I only think of me.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

When the point comes I am denied entry or refused a VISA, I'll just abandon my son, step-daughter and gf.

And default on my mortgage repayments, already been looking at houses in France.

But I'd rather it was the Thai government everyone sees as the 'bad guy', than me seen as a 'deadbeat dad'.

Too old to worry about other people now, I only think of me.

I agree, nice country France, I see for buy house next future too.

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Maybe, maybe not. 

It's the first time I have seen him.

Do you disagree with what he said? 

I didn't watch it. He has a habit of spreading false and sensationalist information regarding immigration to generate clicks for his vlogs.

I have messaged him in the past, warning him of the dangers of this practice. And yet he continues. No friend to his followers.

Other posters in this thread have indicated that this vlog is more of the same. In his own verbage, an a***hat!

maybe it's like the French way of talking...

if we were to say "hold your horses mate!" 

a french version becomes "...hold an onion" 

I wonder how long before he gets a rap rap rap on front door?

- considering hows he's knocking the country, mentioning Leaders etc, all the while those 3 out of 4 faces in the background!

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I don't see where frogs come into this......????

Is" cooking a frog"" a saying of some sort?

"boiling frog" is a saying used when there is negative change happening around you, but you do not see it creeping up on you until it's too late.

The saying goes, you can put a frog in cool water and it's fine.  You can then bring the water to the boil and the frog is fine, right up until just before the frog knows it's going to die, and then it's too late for the frog to save itself, and it's cooked. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

10 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I didn't watch it. He has a habit of spreading false and sensationalist information regarding immigration to generate clicks for his vlogs.

I have messaged him in the past, warning him of the dangers of this practice. And yet he continues. No friend to his followers.

Other posters in this thread have indicated that this vlog is more of the same. In his own verbage, an a***hat!

I watched it.

He is being critical of Thailand's laws, whilst practically begging for change. 

I hope he has a Plan B, because I doubt they care about any undue hardship they have created for foreigners.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:48 AM, fforest1 said:

No one is immune to the rising tide of visa problems.....The rising tide should concern all even those on dry ground... 

Sadly I now agree with this.

A year or two ago I wouldn't have, but the mandatory Thai insurance backs this up in my mind. I feel for those who are now too old to even buy this insurance, as no one will sell them it.

In another thread someone speculated that the O visa will be completely dropped with the only retirement based long stay visa being the OA, enforcing everyone down the the insurance requirement. Not only that it would mean i'd have to go home every 2 years!

Edit: I tried to watch it but found him just too boring after a few minutes.

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I don't see where frogs come into this......????

Is" cooking a frog"" a saying of some sort?

The frog part of the video is @ 12.35......Slow cooking frogs is a pretty common metaphor...

36 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

That's because he deserves shooting.

Apparently unlike you, I did watch the OP video here... though I've never heard of this guy before or seen any of his past videos... So just on the basis of this video alone, while a bit rough around the edges, I'd say the general points he raised were pretty much correct and on-target, and he raised reasonable questions to ask of the authorities.

But I'm not sure many of us would enjoy hearing what their answers would be...if those in authority at present were ever to answer the questions raised honestly.

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I watched it.

He is being critical of Thailand's laws, whilst practically begging for change. 

I hope he has a Plan B, because I doubt they care about any undue hardship they have created for foreigners.

They've created no hardship for me, or the vast majority of farangs living in Thailand who don't come on TV to vent their spleens making mountains out of molehills.

Immigration makes a minor change. Adapt, move on and enjoy life. Helps to adapt if others aren't spewing BS information at you.

8 minutes ago, Saltire said:

In another thread someone speculated that the O visa will be completely dropped with the only retirement based long stay visa being the OA, enforcing everyone down the the insurance requirement.

You should inform the OP of that. He loves BS scaremongering.

Oh I see. Have to admit I bailed well before 12 minutes ????

Sheryl, it's kind of like, you're the frog...

And the boiling water is....

--mandatory O-A health insurance that's overpriced and/or unobtainable

--90-day and TM30 reporting like you're a criminal on probation

--being told how you have to manage your money down to the smallest details that really have nothing to do with showing you can afford to live here...

etc etc...

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

--being told how you have to manage your money down to the smallest details that really have nothing to do with showing you can afford to live here...

etc etc...

I have a non O via not an O-A.

I have always done 90 day reporting since I lived here. Never done a TM30.

No one has tried to manage my money for me....except the wife!

We obviously live in very different Thailands.

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

etc etc...

Yeah, I get it.

Not such a slow boil IMO.

And it certainly has us all hopping about.

Especially those unfortunates who fled the new income rules to an OA only to now now face the Insurance debacle..

36 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

They've created no hardship for me, or the vast majority of farangs living in Thailand ...

I don't think that is quite true.

If on extension for retirement and not from a country that still issues income letters then they have caused at minimum some real inconvenience for most.  Unnecessarily so.

Ditto if on extension for marriage and needing to use the income method and from a country that no longer issues income letters.

And in many locations on either extension of original visa was OA, currently big problems.

Original O visa, marriage extension and using lump sum, or on either type of extension using income method from a country that still issues letters then yes nothing has  changed. But I don't think this would comprise a vast majority.

I have learned two things recently :   If i have a complaint about immigration I tell it on Thaivisa.

And if I have a complaint about Thaivisa I go tell someone over at immigration.  

keeps me out of trouble  ????

I don't think that is quite true.

If on extension for retirement and not from a country that still issues income letters then they have caused at minimum some real inconvenience for most.  Unnecessarily so.

Ditto if on extension for marriage and needing to use the income method and from a country that no longer issues income letters.

And in many locations on either extension of original visa was OA, currently big problems.

Original O visa, marriage extension and using lump sum, or on either type of extension using income method from a country that still issues letters then yes nothing has  changed. But I don't think this would comprise a vast majority.

Non O retirement extension (as most people) 65k monthly transfer, always did that anyway. No real inconvenience for me or anyone I know. Others leave 800k in the bank, as they always have done.

58 minutes ago, Saltire said:

In another thread someone speculated that the O visa will be completely dropped with the only retirement based long stay visa being the OA, enforcing everyone down the the insurance requirement. Not only that it would mean i'd have to go home every 2 years!

It would seem more straightforward to simply apply an insurance requirement to retirement extensions, and maybe even marriage ones. Just have to cross a few words out!

23 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Non O retirement extension (as most people) 65k monthly transfer, always did that anyway. No real inconvenience for me or anyone I know. Others leave 800k in the bank, as they always have done.

For many  people the new documentation requirements for the 65k have caused problems.  Problems with coding of the transfers, problems getting the new type of statement required from the bank, and big problems for people whose transfers aren't at exact monthly intervals (some pensions are paid 4 weekly; US SS sometimes makes the Sept payment in late Aug due to labor day etc etc). Some of the people on income method who say they've had no problem doing exactly what they always did, if from a country that no longer issues income letters may be in for rude awakening at their bext extension. The otoblems ate solvable but not without inconvenience and soecial efgorts. There is a good reason to read the "complsints" on TV as one learns of pitfalls one would otherwise not have envisioned. It is not as simple as having 65k income means no problem.

Majority of people using lump sum method were not previously just leaving the 800 unspent all year, they were drawing down on it for living expenses then topping up.  The new rules effectively increase the required amount by at least 400k a year if one is prepared to keep close track of dates and be sure of never making a mistake in when one is allowed to spend what,  and by 800k otherwise. (800 just put aside additional to actual living costs). This is at best an inconvenience and for some a real barrier and no call to feel superior if one doesn't fall in the latter grouping.

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

US SS sometimes makes the Sept payment in late Aug due to labor day etc etc). Some of the people on income method who say they've had no problem doing exactly what they always did, if from a country that no longer issues income letters may be in for rude awakening at their bext extension.

Perhaps you could explain something that has puzzled me. Whenever I see someone whining on TV that immigration has made life impossible for them and they are leaving Thailand it's, more often than not, an American. Why do Americans have more issues than the rest of us?

My extension is due next month and Ubon Joe has given me a run down on the documents required at my IO, Jomtien, and I don't forsee any problems. If there are, I'll deal with it then post a good old moan on TV! As I'm a Brit, don't hold your breath.

Archived