J.C on immigration cooking the retiree frog....

fforest1

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

In case you hadn't notice, his Thai girlfriend's English is very elementary. He needs a professional translator who understands both Thai and English well.

I think he's just too cheap to spring for a professional translator though.  He's also promoting and selling his "fishing shirts" from 30 years ago.  Here's a link to his store for all of his fans here - https://retirecheap.asia/ripper-gear-store-clothes/

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be surprised if JC finds himself in cuffs soon for working here illegally for the past 8 years or so. 

If Immigration looks at his YouTube channel and figures out that he has more than 33k subscribers (and makes a substantial amount of money with his Thailand videos, membership site, online store etc) they might just decide to make an example out of him to squash the digital nomad / professional blogger types who are indeed  working here (on the wrong visa) and not paying income taxes in Thailand etc..

I realize that there are many others doing the same thing here but they might just go after a "high profile target" to send a message out to all the other pro bloggers that live here in Thailand.  I don't really see this kind of business as a gray area either.  It's pretty clear who is living here and running a highly successful online business without any work permit or tax number etc. (if you claim you are on a retirement visa).

12 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

I wouldn't be surprised if JC finds himself in cuffs soon for working here illegally for the past 8 years or so. 

If Immigration looks at his YouTube channel and figures out that he has more than 33k subscribers (and makes a substantial amount of money with his Thailand videos, membership site, online store etc) they might just decide to make an example out of him to squash the digital nomad / professional blogger types who are indeed  working here (on the wrong visa) and not paying income taxes in Thailand etc..

I realize that there are many others doing the same thing here but they might just go after a "high profile target" to send a message out to all the other pro bloggers that live here in Thailand.  I don't really see this kind of business as a gray area either.  It's pretty clear who is living here and running a highly successful online business without any work permit or tax number etc. (if you claim you are on a retirement visa).

Are you serious? High profile target? Makes a substantial amount of money from his vlogs?

Subscriber wise, he's well down the list of Thai vloggers. I was talking to a Thai vlogger today who has more subscribers than him, more hits per vlog than him and makes less than £1000 per annum from Youtube. Try living in Thailand on that.

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Are you serious? High profile target? Makes a substantial amount of money from his vlogs?

Subscriber wise, he's well down the list of Thai vloggers. I was talking to a Thai vlogger today who has more subscribers than him, more hits per vlog than him and makes less than £1000 per annum from Youtube. Try living in Thailand on that.

Exactly. And his websites look like second-rate garbage.

I wonder if his real concern is that he will have a difficult time selling his "How to Retire in Thailand" products if it becomes too difficult to retire here.

9 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Okay but do they make videos addressed to the Thai authorities asking them to review their screwed up policies etc?

Do they have a paid membership area (which used to be $10.00 per month... but probably more now)?  Multiply that by just 100 members and that's $1,000 per month or 1000 members = $10,000 per month.

I'm not saying he is the biggest earner but he very well could be with all the ads and his online store and everything put together.  Regardless, even if he only makes 1000 a month on his business he claims to be here on a retirement visa and he is obviously working and making money here in Thailand and he claims to be on a retirement visa so I would consider him a decent target if they wanted to push the issue.

Not to mention he's been here doing it for many, many years.

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

Too wordy and his voice is annoying.

I'm sure he could have knocked it off inside 3 minutes and his points would have had more impact, right or wrong though they may be .

sounds like he's whining or complaining the way he talks.

i saw jc walking around in chiang mai when i lived there. we made eye contact but i did not approach since i felt like he would want to do an interview or ask a bunch of personal questions about why i was here etc which i dont like talking about.

i could tell he was watching me to see if i recognized him. i think most expats know who he is.

another strange thing is he always has a cap on, even when i saw him. he may have a hair loss problem or something like thzt he needs to have his head covered at all times. strange.

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Then the 'average farang retiree' should have absolutely no issues posting the paltry annual immigration 'bonds' or, being unable to get medical insurance, self-insure to the order of a few hundred million baht, no?

After all, my point is J.C's unrealistic claim that farangs outspend ALL Thai people. Maybe he needs to tap on some of these flush farangs that he obviously hangs out with for a hand out?

I have in excess of the required income but it does not arrive in my account in a fixed pension the same day every month. I live on about 80k baht a month. Some people more some less but all more than many  Thais who are woefully underpaid. However I cant meet the requirements so I use an agent.

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

J.C. lost me when he claimed that old foreigners spend way, way more money here than any Thai people do.

Twice!

Yes I am unsure what the relevance of that is. I would expect tourists and retirees to spend more than village Thais, but it means nothing. Many Westerners have this 'I spend here and benefit the economy' attitude as if Thailand should provide residence in return.

You guys are tripping over each other to see who can be first in line to shoot the messenger...lol....Its kind of sad....

I am not a JC fan at all....But I give credit were credit is due....And JC summarized the visa situation quite well...

22 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

They've created no hardship for me, or the vast majority of farangs living in Thailand who don't come on TV to vent their spleens making mountains out of molehills.

Immigration makes a minor change. Adapt, move on and enjoy life. Helps to adapt if others aren't spewing BS information at you.

When you say, "they've created no hardship for me" that is the epitome of a boiling farang frog in Thailand.

Do you think expats are given the same grief in neighboring countries as they get in Thailand? 

While the hoops may not cause hardship for you, these hoops don't even exist in neighboring countries, so in comparison, you have hardship here when compared to expats in neighboring countries. 

So, just how much "adapting" are you prepared to do before you say Thailand has made some hardship for you?  Eg. 60 reporting.  1.5 million in the bank.  Expensive junk insurance policy needed for a retirement visa?

Everyone has their own line in the sand.  Why criticize people for whom Thailand has now crossed that line, and as boiling frogs, have jumped out of the pot?

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

When you say, "they've created no hardship for me" that is the epitome of a boiling farang frog in Thailand.

Do you think expats are given the same grief in neighboring countries as they get in Thailand? 

While the hoops may not cause hardship for you, these hoops don't even exist in neighboring countries, so in comparison, you have hardship here when compared to expats in neighboring countries. 

So, just how much "adapting" are you prepared to do before you say Thailand has made some hardship for you?  Eg. 60 reporting.  1.5 million in the bank.  Expensive junk insurance policy needed for a retirement visa?

Everyone has their own line in the sand.  Why criticize people for whom Thailand has now crossed that line, and as boiling frogs, have jumped out of the pot?

Are you still here? :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

i think this guy is mistakenly assuming someones in charge running the show up in an office somewhere like it would be in a western bureacracy.

fact is, its likely just a hodgepodge of regulations being enforced from multiple sources with little or no oversight.

22 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Are you still here? :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Yes, still here.  I like Pattaya.

I ended up using an agent.  I refuse to move 800k here, losing use of 400k of it for 5 months, and losing 400k of it perpetually, and couldn't be bothered about what code my bank uses when I transfer money here, and all other associated BS, like TM30's.

I am ready for a crackdown on those using agents in the future.  I'll sell my motorbike, big screen TV, sound system, and donate other smaller appliances, and leave. 

I have chosen a location in Vietnam, right down to the condo block.  I am in email contact with the manager there, and have told them to let me know when the condo's of a certain size they have, and on certain floors, start to fill up with long term tenants. 

I have told them I will rent one from them, without even being there, to put it on hold for me.  I have done this because friends in Danang and Nha Trang have told me they are meeting more and more expats from Thailand looking to relocate, and some of the more desired condo blocks are filling up. If I can't renew with an agent next year, I'll be gone.

I plan on staying here as long as possible, or until Pattaya falls out of favor with me, but my Plan B is firmly in place, while other frogs continue to boil here. 

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes I am unsure what the relevance of that is. I would expect tourists and retirees to spend more than village Thais, but it means nothing. Many Westerners have this 'I spend here and benefit the economy' attitude as if Thailand should provide residence in return.

Quite a few countries provide residence (if not citizenship) for foreigners who marry or breed with their citizens.

I don't think the expectation, for those of us that have done that, to be allowed to live here are unreasonable.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Quite a few countries provide residence (if not citizenship) for foreigners who marry or breed with their citizens.

I don't think the expectation, for those of us that have done that, to be allowed to live here are unreasonable.

In Vietnam, if a foreigner marries a Vietnamese National, the foreigner gets a 5 year multiple entry visa for around $50USD. 

I consider this fair.  It's not residency, it's not citizenship, but recognizes the marriage, and the need for the foreigner to have freedom of movement, or to reside in Vietnam.  

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And hence should they have the right to live in 2 different countries if they choose? Thailand might say, well you can actually go to live in the West! I believe marriage is also used as a way to achieve residence. Personally I have chosen not to marry, but lived as a couple for many many years. Your expectation comes gratis with a rather silly religious ceremony. 

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, still here.  I like Pattaya.

I ended up using an agent.  I refuse to move 800k here, losing use of 400k of it for 5 months, and losing 400k of it perpetually, and couldn't be bothered about what code my bank uses when I transfer money here, and all other associated BS, like TM30's.

I am ready for a crackdown on those using agents in the future.  I'll sell my motorbike, big screen TV, sound system, and donate other smaller appliances, and leave. 

I have chosen a location in Vietnam, right down to the condo block.  I am in email contact with the manager there, and have told them to let me know when the condo's of a certain size they have, and on certain floors, start to fill up with long term tenants. 

I have told them I will rent one from them, without even being there, to put it on hold for me.  I have done this because friends in Danang and Nha Trang have told me they are meeting more and more expats from Thailand looking to relocate, and some of the more desired condo blocks are filling up. If I can't renew with an agent next year, I'll be gone.

I plan on staying here as long as possible, or until Pattaya falls out of favor with me, but my Plan B is firmly in place, while other frogs continue to boil here. 

how much does the agent cost?

18 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

I have digital nomads telling me off in this forum that it is legal for them to work online as long as it doesn't cost Thai people their jobs.

Obviously, JC is worried about the declining number of members because it is getting harder for retirees to retire in Thailand. 

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

I have digital nomads telling me off in this forum that it is legal for them to work online as long as it doesn't cost Thai people their jobs.

Obviously, JC is worried about the declining number of members because it is getting harder for retirees to retire in Thailand. 

sounds like his vids are tour guide oriented for subscribers in country. that would encroach on thai jobs in a big way with that many subscribers.

if hes getting commissions on hotel and travel bookings in thailand via his website and advertising, that gets into travel agent territory.

thats not the same as a digital nomad working from abroad at something thats based out of country.

i think the main problem here is not what hes doing, but the money making aspect. that takes money away from locals who are not internet savvy. similar to what airbnb and grab are doing which, believe me, is not great for local businesses.

20 hours ago, fhickson said:

how much does the agent cost?

I was recommended an agent by a friend who has used him for several years, and used him again this year, despite the new visa laws.

I contacted him for the same service and paid 25,000 baht, all included.

This whole system seems to be designed, and allowed, to make money for immigration and / or their friends and family agents, but as it circumvents to law, it's completely illegal, and the rug can be pulled out from under me, my friend, and anyone else who has used an agent, at anytime. 

This is why my Plan B is firmly in place. 

19 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Less than the lost interest of letting 800k sit in a Thai bank at 1.5%... :coffee1:

Exactly.

Those that say their visa only costs 1900 baht a year, but do not factor in the financial loss from 800,000 baht that could be working harder, are not seeing the bigger picture.

If the use of agents were seriously outlawed, I can understand this to be an acceptable option, but with the use of agents appearing to be fine, having 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, that you can't touch for 5 months, and 400,000 baht of it that you can never touch, makes the cost of an agent a cheaper and easier option, and I haven't touched on the subject of the stability of the Thai banking sector and Thai economy.

The elephant in the room is the new health insurance.  If those on retirement visas require insurance in the future, things will become very interesting.  Expats could potentially be looking at a bill of hundreds of thousands of baht, on top of the 1900 baht, and on top of the financial loss of earnings of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

This could make a Thai retirement visa very expensive in the future.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:29 AM, Leaver said:

In Vietnam, if a foreigner marries a Vietnamese National, the foreigner gets a 5 year multiple entry visa for around $50USD. 

I consider this fair.  It's not residency, it's not citizenship, but recognizes the marriage, and the need for the foreigner to have freedom of movement, or to reside in Vietnam.  

Believe you get like 10-15 years after 2 years marriage in Indonesia too. At least that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Believe you get like 10-15 years after 2 years marriage in Indonesia too. At least that makes sense.

A fairer system here would be if you own a property, then the 65,000 baht a month is reduced, and the 800,000 baht is also reduced.  Alas, as the guy in the clip says, "It doesn't make sense." 

For the record, I don't own property here. 

Archived