Busted! Immigration goes after "begpackers" for working without a permit

webfact

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

So does this mean that we as foreigners who sell anything, even like a bike or car or jacket or computer monitor are breaking the immigration law of working with out a permit and taking a job from a Thai? This country is beginning to smell and we are all going to have to redefine the thin line of what not to cross.

That's exactly correct. Don't sell anything, you need to get a Thai to do it for you.

46 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Selling an individual item online wouldn't constitute "working'.  Setting up and running an online shop might do.

I've seen people sell more than "an individual item" on that Desperating Seeking BKK FB group.

49 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

So does this mean that we as foreigners who sell anything, even like a bike or car or jacket or computer monitor are breaking the immigration law of working with out a permit and taking a job from a Thai? 

No.

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

No.

Sorry Yinn. Technically you are making money when you sell something here and that can be classified as work no matter how much you want  to say no. And really, you actually don't see the odd things we as foreigners are put through by the people in charge. It is all their game and how they interpret their rules their way.  

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Sorry Yinn. Technically you are making money when you sell something here and that can be classified as work no matter how much you want  to say no. And really, you actually don't see the odd things we as foreigners are put through by the people in charge. It is all their game and how they interpret their rules their way.  

Not need to be sorry holycow. (You from India?)

i think you talk about sell your old thing. Like a car, bike etc. is not a “business”. 

This is people trying to make profit from a “business”.

maybe I wrong? Can you show me a link of a foreigner sell his condo, car or bike which make immigrant police arrest them. 

Many foreigner sell car, bike etc. Everyday. No problem I think.

3 minutes ago, Yinn said:

i think you talk about sell your old thing. Like a car, bike etc. is not a “business”. 

maybe I wrong? Can you show me a link of a foreigner sell his condo, car or bike which make immigrant police arrest them. 

You are correct.

11 minutes ago, Yinn said:

No USA and Caucasian.  Holy Cow is a saying we have in the US. I was speaking like theoretically as it is not the impossible, but improbable. Here the officials have great expertise in distorting things how they want. Just look at your elections. Now you can say Holy Cow!

24 minutes ago, Yinn said:

The news follows the arrests of a German man and a Swiss man who were caught building their own boats on their own properties in Chalong late yesterday afternoon.

Immigration guys are nuts, just accept it yinn - but courts usually rule in foreigners favor in these cases.

It's always no problem until they want it to be a problem, in generall you are not allowed to sell a renovated condo for a profit, you have to use bs thai agents. glad my gf can act as a bs thai agent .... 

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Really?? So, you live here and belive that you will be accused for working if you sell your car???? Hillarious!

Stop with the nonsense! You will not be accused for working if you cut your own grass or if you clean your car or anything else that has to do with normal things in life. Get a grip on reality.

15 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Really?? So, you live here and belive that you will be accused for working if you sell your car???? Hillarious!

Stop with the nonsense! You will not be accused for working if you cut your own grass or if you clean your car or anything else that has to do with normal things in life. Get a grip on reality.

Don't let my wife find that out. I told her I can't work on the house or in the garden.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Two so called "begpackers" were arrested in Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand for working without a work permit. 

If they are selling, they are not begging.  If you are going to write a worthless story, at least get the syntax right.  

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

So does this mean that we as foreigners who sell anything, even like a bike or car or jacket or computer monitor are breaking the immigration law of working with out a permit and taking a job from a Thai? This country is beginning to smell and we are all going to have to redefine the thin line of what not to cross.

Pretty much yes, but you are allowed to lease your condo(s) without a work permit.  Being a landlord does not seem to require anything from the owner.   Being on a business trip selling into or buying from Thailand is considered working.  It is mind numbingly stupid and unique to Thailand.    

I support this enforcement action.  I believe in the “Broken Windows, Cigarette Butts and people sleeping on sidewalks” type of enforcement action.  A small problem can morph very quickly into a large and unmanageable problem.  Also, some in these “begpacker” countries might get the bright idea “hey if these people can go to Thailand with little money and beg then so can i”. 

33 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I have a full grip. But how about if I paint my house? Tend to my farm? Put new shingles on my roof? Have a yard sale? It is highly unlikely and will never happen I would think, but in this whacky place it could happen. 

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I have a full grip. But how about if I paint my house? Tend to my farm? Put new shingles on my roof? Have a yard sale? It is highly unlikely and will never happen I would think, but in this whacky place it could happen. 

If you do it with a profit motive - and who doesn't - then that could be construed into work prolly...

Like putting a new roof on your house to be able to get a better sales price... i think that might be over the imaginery thai line of work. Rule #1 is they always make <deleted> up here, so it's better for you to enslave and exploit a bunch of poor myanmar workers to get that done. If in thailand, do like the thais -.-

11 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Nothing much will happen. I have almost buildt all our house from the ground fully in the open. No problem whatsoever. After that I have been chnging all electric in my wife parents house in her home village togheter with 2 Thai guy to help me.

Just a lot of scare and overrated BS talk.

52 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Always said after 15 years here CNX Immigration is a disgrace and pathetic. Here is the proof.

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Nothing much will happen. I have almost buildt all our house from the ground fully in the open. No problem whatsoever. After that I have been chnging all electric in my wife parents house in her home village togheter with 2 Thai guy to help me.

Just a lot of scare and overrated BS talk.

I do work openly as well an did all that for my mother in law years ago at her guest house. But it just takes one person who doesn't like you and the Thai will stick together. No scare mongering what so ever. I pretty much do what I want to a point.

7 hours ago, Eddie664 said:

Did they have a workpermit or not??

Anyway, just get rid of them.Not sticking to the rules makes it harder for us who stays here and do the best we can to follow the rules.....

The powers that be don't give a toss about farang who are doing their best to follow the rules. You will be next. Long stay farang are not welcome. Come for two weeks, blow your cash and <deleted>.

Archived