Busted! Immigration goes after "begpackers" for working without a permit

webfact

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, mikecha said:

Beware new year is coming people want money i mean the fuzz   be wary  

i do agree that Thai goverment officials do have much better things to do, but rules are rules for the long staying as others say we trY to live and abide by them not always easy 

i also was stopped last week check my visa 10 minuits bla bla bla and all ok cost u s box of cookies my gf gave him 

smile please walk away no comment ,

where was this?

For some reason, I don’t like seeing the Beg packers sitting on the streets selling.

But on the other hand I don’t mind backpackers. 

Now days lot of wealthy people like to use backpacks and stay in nice family B&Bs. They also like meeting up with other backpacker who share their experiences and advise where to go next. I’ve met lots of those over the past 30 years. The last one was a Canadian Dr, backpacking,  we went river rafting together and I ask him who took over his Drs rooms while away he said his Sister a Dr as well, and on his return home she would be coming to Thailand and following in his footsteps. The rise in Travels to Thailand was built on backpackers and I don’t think they should be ignored or discourage come. 

1 minute ago, stjarna said:

For some reason, I don’t like seeing the Beg packers sitting on the streets selling.

But on the other hand I don’t mind backpackers. 

Now days lot of wealthy people like to use backpacks and stay in nice family B&Bs. They also like meeting up with other backpacker who share their experiences and advise where to go next. I’ve met lots of those over the past 30 years. The last one was a Canadian Dr, backpacking,  we went river rafting together and I ask him who took over his Drs rooms while away he said his Sister a Dr as well, and on his return home she would be coming to Thailand and following in his footsteps. The rise in Travels to Thailand was built on backpackers and I don’t think they should be ignored or discourage come. 

Yeah you're right, the problem is that Thais have forgotten how poor they were a few years ago and it was the backpackers that blazed the trail for tourism........ Pockets full, you go home now..........

Only Thais can grab the best begging spots and earn from farangs.taking away the job as a beggar for the Thais.i heard a story he was begging in cm disabled and making a fortune  from everyone.i happens in Turkey Istanbul too. The religion  like buddha help others and  u will be blessed.many of them taking advantage of this in both countries

OK guys let's put this in perspective. If my Thai wife sells goods in Australia in a street stall on a tourist visa it probably wouldn't raise an eyebrow. But if reported to immigration, it would cause concern for her stated ability to not need financial support whilst in Australia next time she needed a visa. When I get a visa or arrive in Thailand I need to show that I can support myself for the duration of my stay. That proof is now being asked for more regularly from people like me because some other people like to "begpack" because they didn't have enough money for they stay, and never planned to have. I really admire their sense of adventure. But these are the risks you take. Enterprising, but against the law. The law is published, read it and follow it, if not, consequences.  

1 minute ago, peter14 said:

Economy is bleeding.. everything  falling apart  but inmigration have nothing else to do.... maybe declare war to neighbor country to make people forget problem at home.. shame on ....

I've been praying they make that fatal mistake of winding up Cambodia again, i'd love to see T72s rolling down Sukhumvit amidst clouds of Thai uniforms and tons of cereal packet medals whistling through the air as the brave lads leg it to the UN or the yanks begging for help from the decadent farangs........ 

1 hour ago, Bartman1369 said:

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to get a work permit in Thailand??? I am a degree qualified mobile Automation Engineer working in China and Asia. I looked into supplementing my income during the quiet times by teaching or working as an engineer. If you do not work at a static site or have your own company (another pain in the ass to setup - but don't get me started on that one - Off topic) then it is almost impossible, unless you go through the brown envelope route (5000 per month). Typically the bureaucracy in Thailand is designed to supplement the brown envelope brigade. I know this because I have just setup a business for my wife. It's made as difficult as possible so that when you get a random phone offering the easy service for a fee you gladly accept. Luckily my wife and I were extremely stubborn and denied them of this pleasure. As the goal posts kept changing after every one of the 8 or 9 visits to the ampur office.

I get offered emergency breakdown work regularly in Thailand but have to turn it down because I can't get a work permit fast enough, and can't risk the immigration money collection system.

I am married to a Thai national and have a multi entry married visa.

Well said........

4 hours ago, POMRAKSIAM said:

Good!

They are embarrassing for other foreigners who have worked hard (or not) and can support their travels or life abroad. 

These people don't embarrass me, but I think that is the real concern for Thai immigration.... They have insufficient means to support themselves, that's the reason a lot of the changes are being made.. I agree... Don't come here, if you can't fully support yourselves.. 

Sure, there are many other important issues in Thailand, that should be sorted out, why should foreigners be allowed to stay if they can't fully support themselves.. 

Get real guys.. Go home if you have insufficient funds.. 

If only they knew, how real immigration police work around the world, then maybe they might start working as professionals, and not as amateurs standing around for a photo op with fancy display boards. It makes you wonder whether or not they use these display signs for every meeting of the police, "OK guys lets get the meeting going, who brought the display board, sorry sarge left it at home!, Ok, postpone the meeting until tomorrow when we have the sign."

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No.  Selling individual single items is fine.

Agreed.  Immigration would have a tough time convincing a criminal court that a foreigner selling a bicycle that he no longer needed was in contravention of the Immigration Act and the decrees covering the working of aliens. Indeed, when you consider higher value items such as cars, motor bikes and condos, it is simply not an option to dump or give away unwanted items.

What about the nasty East European hookers who ply their trade inside and outside  bars on Pattaya's Walking Street. Go go dancing and prostitution are most certainly jobs that Thais can do. Please get rid of them, Immigration.  The resort will be a lot better off without them, even if your pocket books will be a bit lighter. 

I somehow doubt that Immigration Division 5 in Chiang Mai just happened to be conducting a routine patrol down Soi 3 Moon Muang Road when they happened upon these characters. Perhaps the patrol was at the request of a third party whose "territory" was being encroached upon? 

Thailand has had a problem with hippies for 50 years.  let's just call it the Hippie Problem.  i am surprise they just don't round them up and give them all free hair cuts at the airport.  Thailand was never cool and never will be.  we always thought it was best avoided back in the day.

Archived