Busted! Immigration goes after "begpackers" for working without a permit

webfact

1 hour ago, SupermarineS6B said:

I  can't say i'm surprised with this latest petty garbage coming from the BIB, but it's reminding me of what somebody said to me thirty years ago in a bar in Sukhumvit. This old bloke who was hanging onto the bar leaned towards me and asked if he could give me some advice ?  Fire away old fellah was my reply expecting some drunken drivvle, but oh no, what he came out with was pure gold and it's banging on all our doors right now. He said, " Don't have anything in this country that you can't pick up and run with,  because that day will come "........

Sit down and watch the show, and have your bags ready......

And you've lived like that for thirty years?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good job! Bye bye! I hope people who complain here about immigration being too strict, also now see what really the problem is. Foreigners who actually don't listen to the rules. Be upset with them and not immigration. 

Immigration doesn't know you personally so they just see everyone as a foreigner who potentially might harm Thailand (if you think logically, why else would immigration exist?) 

You guys have to remember they are not enforcing the law for your approval or disapproval they are enforcing for the Thai population the people they listen to on social media, or the shop owner who complains because the front of his shop is blocked by a farang selling  his stuff. Every time this stuff comes up or the poster boards in police headquarters these thing are not for the expat community it is for the consumption of the Thai population. Get over it boys you are not number one in Thailand.

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When were you last 'hounded' by immigration?

I think I may have used the wrong word with hounded, lets just say IMO we expats have had to jump through some rather unnecessary  hoops, though I was wrongly accused of being on a 25 year overstay by a rather nasty IO about 5 years ago. when I had only been in the country less than ten years. It has been well documented in Thaivisa over the years.

1 hour ago, StarmanBlinky said:

OK guys let's put this in perspective. If my Thai wife sells goods in Australia in a street stall on a tourist visa it probably wouldn't raise an eyebrow. But if reported to immigration, it would cause concern for her stated ability to not need financial support whilst in Australia next time she needed a visa. When I get a visa or arrive in Thailand I need to show that I can support myself for the duration of my stay. That proof is now being asked for more regularly from people like me because some other people like to "begpack" because they didn't have enough money for they stay, and never planned to have. I really admire their sense of adventure. But these are the risks you take. Enterprising, but against the law. The law is published, read it and follow it, if not, consequences.  

If reported and in contravention of her visa the most likely outcome is she would be arrested, placed in detention , deported and banned from entering Oz for three years. Happened to an American gf of mine. We were flying out on 1st March. 28th February was the last day of her three months on a 12 month multi. I/o called his supervisor, supervisor replied cancel the visa and place in detention. This was a 50 year old woman mind you.

We got it sorted out with a bridging visa for her, but many will not be this lucky.

no mate he is right

i have traveled all europe central america,usa 10 years se asia

i cannot stand backpackers or their ilk

in koh samui and the rest

<deleted> everywhere same phuket 91

boast about getting a bungalow for 400bht after hours haggling then go out all night spending thousands

<deleted> them 

4 minutes ago, angloirishaussie said:

no mate he is right

i have traveled all europe central america,usa 10 years se asia

i cannot stand backpackers or their ilk

in koh samui and the rest

<deleted> everywhere same phuket 91

boast about getting a bungalow for 400bht after hours haggling then go out all night spending thousands

<deleted> them 

Goodness me...

7 hours ago, Vacuum said:

"world travels" 

You mean domestic travels, as most/very many Thais don't ha ve a passport?

No I believe they were correct is saying "World Travels" over 90% of the Photos I have seen were of outside Thailand...

So They were not taking a Job on this point from any Thai... You are correct in saying Most (over 90%) don'\t have passports!

Also quoted on this Post another answer said that selling personal items would be allowed... for obvious reasons... as they were personal not purchased for resale... 

So again? What laws were broken??

So many posts from sad old men, jealous of young people doing their thing....

Probably caused by the fact that these old men never had a life, as they were too busy thinking about their pensions.

PS. I am 68. I travelled the word as a backpacker until about age 55, now still travelling, but different style.

Greetings from Madeira.

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Not so sure on that. It is movement and therefore working to make it happen. I wouldn't put anything past them now, but not because I am sticking up for the beg packers, just only because they can interpret anything the way they like.

So if this is case in-point... Why is it not illegal to sell items on group sites such as Thai Market Place? Personal items are personal no matter where they are sold. So to attach an illegal label on sale or offering for sale personal item as breaking the Law. It needs to at this point be clarified why is it illegal here and not there??? Or are some Immigration Officers looking for Brownie Points to collect some sort of Monthly Bonus...???

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

Not need to be sorry holycow. (You from India?)

i think you talk about sell your old thing. Like a car, bike etc. is not a “business”. 

This is people trying to make profit from a “business”.

maybe I wrong? Can you show me a link of a foreigner sell his condo, car or bike which make immigrant police arrest them. 

Many foreigner sell car, bike etc. Everyday. No problem I think.

Just wondering... If you don't have a work permit and here on a tourist visa, (even if it's legal) in what position should you be to be able to sell a car, bike or even a condo? 

38 minutes ago, davidstipek said:

So if this is case in-point... Why is it not illegal to sell items on group sites such as Thai Market Place? Personal items are personal no matter where they are sold. So to attach an illegal label on sale or offering for sale personal item as breaking the Law. It needs to at this point be clarified why is it illegal here and not there??? Or are some Immigration Officers looking for Brownie Points to collect some sort of Monthly Bonus...???

There are enough laws on the books that they can twist the definition nay way they seem fit. It seems to be a campaign to hit on the foreigners just as China does.

41 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Just wondering... If you don't have a work permit and here on a tourist visa, (even if it's legal) in what position should you be to be able to sell a car, bike or even a condo? 

Correct me if im wrong but you cannot buy a car on a tourist visa

21 minutes ago, ChipButty said:
1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

Correct me if im wrong but you cannot buy a car on a tourist visa

You're wrong.... consider yourself corrected....  

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

There are so many more import things that need 

sorting out first,but go after the easy things.

They were not selling the same <deleted> as Thai's

not forcibly selling,buy the photo's or not,but

this is how its become now.not the freewheeling,

welcoming Thailand that I found 30 years ago.

regards Worgeordie 

So foreigners were allowed to sell stuff on the streets 30 years ago? 

I don't think so. Not while I was here anyway. 

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

So foreigners were allowed to sell stuff on the streets 30 years ago? 

I don't think so. Not while I was here anyway. 

Well there weren't any foreigners selling anything on the streets then.

if there had of been doubt they would have been hassled like today,

if you have been here as long as me,you know things have changed

and definitely not for the better, especially in the last few years.

regards worgeordie

So lets start at the beginning here...

Clarified - Photos and Personal items displayed, people offering to Buy... They don't have too purchase! Maybe cheaper then at Store? Saving pocket money for a Citizen?

First it is against the law to Pan-Handle (as shown by Immigration Police at Masi (spelled wrong...) at Chaing Rai and Burma Border?? They are arresting Burmese for begging from … well for begging. We Can't sell to Thai so he can sell and if they say they would like it and I should give to them... that's illegal also!

(We are talking about personal Items here now so don't get confused... )

I am not allowed to sell them Immigration classifies this as an act of working.... Can't give away if they have been or raised an interest by someone as their begging or Pan-handling... I can't burn this stuff as that is anact of breaking the Law also...

What options are left?

As a Retiree or Tourist here why would I buy thing's for everyday use, when I leave I am limited to 20 kl weight luggage in two suitcases...

Why I would offer pictures for sale of my world travels? probably because some Thai wants to Learn more about the World... about where he has heard off but 98% chance cannot afford...

Maybe a Student who is studinhg the country or place photo illustrates. Maybe it's a Thai Lady that has been jilted by someone from that place, or wants to know more about places she or he is traveling to... as a reference card.. So it seems Thai Immigration is also wanting to control Thai's... not wanting them to expand their Knowledge of the World by making it illegal to buy these items. 

Now... Why would I want to take the time to print out pictures of Thailand... I can't take them home... Only reason I can think of is to expand some Locals knowledge of his own Country... being he might not have the funds to go there but he does have 20, 30, 50 baht for a picture.... Maybe he or she is proud of their Country and wants to frame it and

hang on a wall at home.  Again looks like a case of Immigration restricting the rights of Thai Citizens!

It is Impossible, to say you are taking a job from a Thai in these cases... As how are they going to get the same items... groups of photo's (Who developed them.98% chance they "were Thai" How is this taking a Job from a Thai. Only case I can see is that Immigration would be over staffed if they didn't create these false cases. So you by not  being at said place at said time you would not be arrested. thus taking a Job from the Immigration Police!

Need I go on?

13 minutes ago, elephant45 said:

I am in VN and cannot sell my car in Thailand without a non  immigrant O or 90 day visa, its confusing. Learned the hard way at Land Transport, after I got the 500 baht proof of residence.

VN?

I've sold numerous cars in Thailand on a Tourist Visa (and recently in the Elite Visa which is not an Non-Imm).

Something is amiss with the information your local land office handled the situation. No surprise there, different offices following different regulations and even making some up.

Additionally, the proof of residence is only required by the foreign buyer to register the vehicle in their name and not required by the person selling a vehicle. 

8 minutes ago, davidstipek said:

So lets start at the beginning here...

First it is against the law to Pan0Handke (as shown by Immigration Police at Measi (spelled wrong... at Chaing Rai and Burma Border arresting Burmese for begging from … well for begging. Can't sell to Thai so he can sell and if they say they would like it and I should give to them... that's illegal also!

(We are talking about personal Items here now so don't get confused... )

I am not allowed to sell them Immigration classifies this as an act of working.... Can't give away if they have been or raised an interest by someone as their begging or Pan-handling... I can't burn this stuff as that is anact of breaking the Law also...

What options are left?

As a Retiree or Tourist here why would I buy thing's for everyday use, when I leave I am limited to 20 kl weight luggage in two suitcases...

Why I would offer pictures for sale of my world travels? probably because some Thai wants to Learn more about the World... about where he has heard off but 98% chance cannot afford... Maybe a Student who is studinhg the country or place photo illustrates. Maybe it's a Thai Lady that has been jilted by someone from that place, or wants to know more about places she or he is traveling to... as a reference card.. So it seems Thai Immigration is also wanting to control Thai's... not wanting them to expand their Knowledge of the World by making it illegal to buy these items. 

Now... Why would I want to take the time to print out pictures of Thailand... I can't take them home... Only reason I can think of is to expand some Locals knoledge of his own Country... being he might not have the funds to go there but he does have 20, 30, 50 baht for a picture.... Maybe he or she is proud of their Country and wants to frame it and hang on a wall at home.  Again looks like a case of Immigration restricting the rights of Thai Citizens!

It is Impossible, to say you are taking a job from a Thai in these cases... As how are they going to get the same items... groups of photo's (Who developed them.98% chance they "were Thai" How is this taking a Job from a Thai. Only case I can see is that Immigration would be over staffed if they didn't create these false cases. So you by not  being at said place at said time you would not be arrested. thus taking a Job from the Immigration Police!

Need I g on?

Please dont.

Archived