Busted! Immigration goes after "begpackers" for working without a permit

webfact

Thai Visa... You need to monitor who is on your Site... To get statement I wanted added here I typed elsewhere then came here and pasted it in it entirety. What I am saying is that someone or thing was messing with my Post several lines after I had typed it... I sat here and watched it change!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Nothing much will happen. I have almost buildt all our house from the ground fully in the open. No problem whatsoever. After that I have been chnging all electric in my wife parents house in her home village togheter with 2 Thai guy to help me.

Just a lot of scare and overrated BS talk.

Nooo, why you say this now! 

Officially, by law, you are not allowed to do that! You can't build a house in Thailand!

You can't, you broke the law!

555 just because no one cares, doesn't mean it's not illegal

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

There are so many more import things that need 

sorting out first,but go after the easy things.

They were not selling the same <deleted> as Thai's

not forcibly selling,buy the photo's or not,but

this is how its become now.not the freewheeling,

welcoming Thailand that I found 30 years ago.

regards Worgeordie 

i know a guy that setup a second hand guitar shop in phnom penh cambodia. i specifically asked him about law/police hassles. none. he staffs it himself not needing to hire 3-4 locals . and pay their salaries and government fees. got many great guitars too

8 hours ago, uesnyc said:

I can't see why anyone would have a problem with this.

I wish my country would do more of this.

I wish also my country could do more... Kick out back to bangkok in boat thai people in my land , working illegally,  opening fake company, using my social care, my social health, cooking illegal food in their appartment at illegal time for illegal restaurant, using illegal product..and all that just above my room...I wish also...

I fully support any country protecting their jobs.

I have lived n worked twice in Oz, they are adamant about protecting jobs, I wish America was as vigilant.

U K was asleep at the wheel, now all those jobs are held by others and you know what others I mean..

Maybe I am just cranky old sea Captain but I have no use for those that come here thinking they can survive on 300 BHAT a day by playing and abusing the system and that is certainly not only the backpack beggars referred to in this article,

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Perhaps there's a difference between back-packers and those who turn up wherever with no cash behind them and try to beg their way daily into a bowl of fried rice and a bottle of water to survive.

Sleeping on the street in Thailand seems easier to them than sleeping on the street in their own country.

"a bowl of fried rice and a bottle of water " go to just about any wat in Thailand around 6.30am to 7.00am and you can eat with the monks.  

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Well there weren't any foreigners selling anything on the streets then.

if there had of been doubt they would have been hassled like today,

if you have been here as long as me,you know things have changed

and definitely not for the better, especially in the last few years.

regards worgeordie

I have always understood why you need a work permit. Imo, you don't come here as a begpacker selling c**p on the streets. I promise you,if you tried that 20-30 years ago, same thing would happen. They have always being tough regarding what you can and can't do. 

9 minutes ago, Hackney35 said:

hahah

I love thailand but the place is backward AF.

The roads are the most dangerous in the world and instead they focus resources on xenophobic little jollies like this to remove some peasant hippies from the sidewalk!!

Keyword xenophobic

I can't remember being in any country in Europe and heard about a backpacker (with headline begpacker) making the news.

Here it's a super big thing to read about these days. My god, it really get's ridicules to read all this daily Thai news. Micky mouse things blown up, all the time. It starts to feel you are getting conditioned and brain washed into something.

Meanwhile mean and drunk people on the road get away with a 500 Baht fine.

21 minutes ago, RedPill said:

backpacker making the news

Ok, before someone quotes me on that, I know, the news in Europe is full of 'real' exploding backpackers, kawoom ... that's the real thing and danger in todays world.

Not some hippies selling some stuff on the street without a WP. 

Let the police get them, a slap on the fingers and that's it. What's the big fuzz about?

I'm not buying into this and establish a bias towards foreigners doing the silliest low crime illegal stuff in Thailand.

I don't know where this kind of accelerating trend comes from and makes the headlines so often these days. But I have a suspicion ...

36 minutes ago, Hackney35 said:

hahah

I love thailand but the place is backward AF.

The roads are the most dangerous in the world and instead they focus resources on xenophobic little jollies like this to remove some peasant hippies from the sidewalk!!

I don't think The Police or Immigration are focusing on roads. 

29 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Ok, before someone quotes me on that, I know, the news in Europe is full of 'real' exploding backpackers, kawoom ... that's the real thing and danger in todays world.

Not some hippies selling some stuff on the street without a WP. 

Let the police get them, a slap on the fingers and that's it. What's the big fuzz about?

I'm not buying into this and establish a bias towards foreigners doing the silliest low crime illegal stuff in Thailand.

I don't know where this kind of accelerating trend comes from and makes the headlines so often these days. But I have a suspicion ...

Just out of curiosity, how long have you stayed in Thailand? Check this out:

https://www.samuiforsale.com/other-miscellaneous/prohibited-occupations-for-foreigners.html

Scroll down to the list of prohibited occupations,then look at number 35.

13 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Just out of curiosity, how long have you stayed in Thailand? 

mhhh ... don't know, on and off a lot, ... came here first in 1999. Now staying since a few years.

Not sure why you ask, but I can only guess you don't agree with me mentioning the growing trend in the news against foreigners breaking the law and the increased focus on this.

Should this be the case, I can only tell you, from my point of view, this has accelerated and is very noticeable to me since the a few years ago. Every little thing makes the headline. Stuff no one cared a few years ago.

But we certainly don't have to agree on this ???? I know there are many different opinions about this.

21 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Just out of curiosity, how long have you stayed in Thailand? Check this out:

https://www.samuiforsale.com/other-miscellaneous/prohibited-occupations-for-foreigners.html

Scroll down to the list of prohibited occupations,then look at number 35.

ok, after you edited in that link.

That list is not was I was talking about. 

That list exists a very long time, same like Thaivisa exist a very long time and we read it since 10-15 years.

I'm talking about an overall picture of an unusual accelerating trend of things which never made headlines/news before ...

7 minutes ago, RedPill said:

mhhh ... don't know, on and off a lot, ... came here first in 1999. Now staying since a few years.

Not sure why you ask, but I can only guess you don't agree with me mentioning the growing trend in the news against foreigners breaking the law and the increased focus on this.

Should this be the case, I can only tell you, from my point of view, this has accelerated and is very noticeable to me since the takeover over 5 years ago. Every little thing makes the headline. Stuff no one cared a few years ago.

But we certainly don't have to agree on this ???? I know there are many different opinions about this.

Just a few years ago you never saw a begpacker selling c**p on the streets in Thailand. No one would ever think about doing it. Thai Police and Immigration have always, even 10 years before you came here in 1999, been tough on what we can do and not can do with or without a wp. The Thai government will never allow a foreigner to do simple stuff as manual labour,street vending or work in a thai restaurant.

Without forums like TVF, TV and online news you wouldn't know about the police chasing/arresting people for 'petty' crimes. 

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Just a few years ago you never saw a begpacker selling c**p on the streets in Thailand. No one would ever think about doing it. Thai Police and Immigration have always, even 10 years before you came here in 1999, been tough on what we can do and not can do with or without a wp. The Thai government will never allow a foreigner to do simple stuff as manual labour,street vending or work in a thai restaurant.

Without forums like TVF, TV and online news you wouldn't know about the police chasing/arresting people for 'petty' crimes. 

I'm not sure, I don't think you get my overall point.

But the thing is, we can't speak free out in detail ... so we better leave it. Hinting is all we can do.

You don't have to understand or agree with me.

13 minutes ago, RedPill said:

ok, after you edited in that link.

That list is not was I was talking about. 

That list exists a very long time, same like Thaivisa exist a very long time and we read it since 10-15 years.

I'm talking about an overall picture of an unusual accelerating trend of things which never made headlines/news before ...

There were no online news just a few years back. And there are so many new news channels on TV now. Especially if you have cable. I remember out in the sticks many years ago,people could only watch Channel 3,5 and 7. They never reported stuff like the new news channels do. 

13 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

There were no online news just a few years back. And there are so many new news channels on TV now. Especially if you have cable. I remember out in the sticks many years ago,people could only watch Channel 3,5 and 7. They never reported stuff like the new news channels do. 

It's ok, I understand the change of social media and frequency of coverage ... but there is still a another trend you read about here daily. 

I don't know how else to spell it out to you.

1 hour ago, RedPill said:

Keyword xenophobic

I can't remember being in any country in Europe and heard about a backpacker (with headline begpacker) making the news.

Here it's a super big thing to read about these days. My god, it really get's ridicules to read all this daily Thai news. Micky mouse things blown up, all the time. It starts to feel you are getting conditioned and brain washed into something.

Meanwhile mean and drunk people on the road get away with a 500 Baht fine.

maybe more about detracting the populous from thinking about significant issues effecting their lives

https://www.stawelltimes.com.au/story/6260143/tourist-begging-ring-nabbed-in-melbourne/

i can see organized professional beggars arrested as in above case. a few solitary backpackers hardly worthy of the time or effort.

lots of bkk beggars in tourist areas are from nearby countries, have no work permit yet are not arrested.  many appear well organized to boot

This is mere deflection, by an administration that refuses to pursue real criminals, corrupt officials within the police, the army and the government, illegal fishing fleets, human traffickers, and major drug kingpins. More nonsense, from grossly incompetent officials and cops. 

This thread has been quite amusing even if some posts do 'beggar' belief. (see what I did there?)

Out on the street with your wares on display you are clearly engaged in a commercial enterprise. Selling your car, condo, self is not conducted in that fashion. It's clearly a private enterprise not a commercial one.

Why do a number of TVF posters conclude that if two overseas people get pulled for a minor crime that the rest of the police force are doing nothing? Does that wash in their own countries? Of course not. It's very unlikely that any more than 5 officers would be involved in this from beginning to end and a minimum amount of time would be spent on it anyway.

Let's say you were getting mugged and two officers walked past. Are any of you going to say 'It's ok officers, it's just a phone, a watch and my new Chang vest, off you go and catch some drug smugglers and bad drivers.'

My arris you would.

Archived