Busted! Immigration goes after "begpackers" for working without a permit

webfact

1 minute ago, Morty T said:

While I'll accept your point about the general hysteria on TVF. You do realize that the majority of these forums start from Headline news from The Nation and Bangkok post. It kinda tough just blaming the TVF crowd for just pointing out what Thai media reports, prints and highlights. 

Good morning Morty 

This one translate from Thai language news. 

Bangkok post news banned on TVF.

IMO the Nation is not good quality, Miss a lot of important news.

Rooster already admit he change some thing to make it sound better for TVF reader. 

It annoy me he do that. 

But good that he admit. Now I laugh a bit when I see he do that. Is tricky.

This story just a simple thing, guy overstay, immigration police do there job. But some member make it so dramatic. 

eg of Rooster translate,

and me and other member who read thai know it Rooster a bit tricky.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, GoodieAfterDark said:

Yes, and if Thais travel abroad they will be considered just like another brown people like the Central Americans. They might fall off their high pedestals.

I wouldn't say that, because the ones who can afford the plane tickets and get a visa have a lot of dosh and stay on their pedestals. (or are supported by foreigners in that country).

The average Thai doesn't/can't really travel far abroad on their own.

On 11/20/2019 at 12:08 PM, Beggar said:

I know several foreigners working without work permits and they have been doing it for years. But they don't do it in the public and not on public ground like these backpackers. 

For example, in the  knowledge of everyone including the local police on some islands where they are diving instructors ..But curiously nobody comes to bother them or stop them .

Find the mistake ... :1zgarz5:

2 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

For example, in the  knowledge of everyone including the local police on some islands where they are diving instructors ..But curiously nobody comes to bother them or stop them .

They might be hiding under water when the police comes? 

10 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

But they did, there was on in Phagnan earlier this month in the news.

About time.

Senario:

If I had a business, and according to Thai law, I would not be allowed to lift a finger, not even to clean an ashtray! 

The ironic thing is, I"m allowed to pay for and invest in a business but must have a Thai partner that normally invests nothing, but they must hold 51% of the business shares that they did not pay for!!! Thai style fairness...Would you invest in Thailand? I know I would never do such a stupid thing. Wasted time, effort plus funds. 

So, if I was reported or caught for cleaning said one astray, I could face a possible fine, the business shut down, incarceration, deportation, refused re-entry, some if not all just listed, so in my opinion beg-packers should also face the above possible outcomes as do those foreigners wishing to invest in a local Thai community, but are persistantly,  penalised for doing so.

In many other countries a Thai can own their own home, land, business, be accepted into the community, do almost any job, pay taxes, get free helth care, a pension and so on, but a foreigner in Thailand lives in an open prison, restricted but expected to pay for everything plus everyone and the extended lazy family plus hanger-ons with open.hands.. In the end, the foreginer ends up with nothing!

The true T.I.T

52 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

About time.

Senario:

If I had a business, and according to Thai law, I would not be allowed to lift a finger, not even to clean an ashtray! 

The ironic thing is, I"m allowed to pay for and invest in a business but must have a Thai partner that normally invests nothing, but they must hold 51% of the business shares that they did not pay for!!! Thai style fairness...Would you invest in Thailand? I know I would never do such a stupid thing. Wasted time, effort plus funds. 

So, if I was reported or caught for cleaning said one astray, I could face a possible fine, the business shut down, incarceration, deportation, refused re-entry, some if not all just listed, so in my opinion beg-packers should also face the above possible outcomes as do those foreigners wishing to invest in a local Thai community, but are persistantly,  penalised for doing so.

In many other countries a Thai can own their own home, land, business, be accepted into the community, do almost any job, pay taxes, get free helth care, a pension and so on, but a foreigner in Thailand lives in an open prison, restricted but expected to pay for everything plus everyone and the extended lazy family plus hanger-ons with open.hands.. In the end, the foreginer ends up with nothing!

The true T.I.T

I agree,excluding large companies that know how to break the law, only those who have no business sense invest in Thailand and their fate everything to lose

1 hour ago, Sonhia said:

About time.

Senario:

The true T.I.T

Then stop cleaning ashtrays. We're using thai people for that. 

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

400,000 Thais dead on Thai roads in the last 10 years and this is where they think their law enforcement attention should be directed and several people on here actually agree?Got to be sick in the head I reckon!

You do realize that there are different branches of the police, right? Immigration officers naturally don't deal with traffic matters, but cases connected to immigration issues, just like this one.

You can't just ignore minor problems because they aren't the worst in the world. Should the police not try to catch thieves while there are murderers in the world?

2 hours ago, GoodieAfterDark said:

Yes, and if Thais travel abroad they will be considered just like another brown people like the Central Americans. They might fall off their high pedestals.

Millions of Thais are travelling abroad. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1611190/thai-visitors-unfazed-by-japan-levy?fbclid=IwAR0tWW_XaWEEB641yfsUKUri1TP4vlx4cAgrXzpd9DbhcOPluU0C5VgvqFg

3065466.jpg

8 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

That's all in Asia, and/or part of ASEAN ... try US, Europe, UK etc.

The Thai passport doesn't get you far or you need to have a lot of dosh / or local support from that country.

I know, because I have a ton of paper work in my binderies to be able move a Thai girl through a few countries ????

32 minutes ago, Myran said:

You do realize that there are different branches of the police, right? Immigration officers naturally don't deal with traffic matters, but cases connected to immigration issues, just like this one.

You can't just ignore minor problems because they aren't the worst in the world. Should the police not try to catch thieves while there are murderers in the world?

So are you trying to justify putting valuable resources into useless activities like this?These people are doing now harm to anybody.Instead of calling them Immigration police and wasting time and energy in this absolutely useless task they could call them traffic police and try and help stop the road carnage!I can absolutely ignore useless minor problems like this in favour of more important endeavours like saving human lives.

My norwegian friend just get busted in NONG KI in buriram.He did a big mistake.Sell his properties in norway and thougth he be safe as a internett nomade in thailand.Yesterday imm3 make a homevisit.Rigth now he is in BKK jail.He will be deported and banned for 5 years.I warned him many times.He said his thaivife so jealous he cant go back to norway,and she is a muay thai boxer.BS!!!

17 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Ok, sorry, I've edited my post after you have replied. I was too slow ????

A friend came back from Italy to Thailand 2 weeks ago. He said that in Cinque Terre are 50% of the tourists came from Asia and many of them from Thailand. Also you see many Thai Tourists in Australia and New Zealand. 

11 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

A friend came back from Italy to Thailand 2 weeks ago. He said that in Cinque Terre are 50% of the tourists came from Asia and many of them from Thailand. Also you see many Thai Tourists in Australia and New Zealand. 

Yes, with the stronger Baht and the shift of money to upper levels, it would be interesting to see a real good, up to date statistic of Thais who are more traveling abroad these days ... with a separation of mid, hi class etc.

If 

9 hours ago, apalink_thailand said:

When I see these begpackers, I feel absolute shame. 

If they paid a Thai person to sell their stuff for them, would that be okay? Or would that be capitalists extorting a lower paid worker for their own benefits? Third and last question, would you still retain the same level of absolute shameness?

So are you trying to justify putting valuable resources into useless activities like this?These people are doing now harm to anybody.Instead of calling them Immigration police and wasting time and energy in this absolutely useless task they could call them traffic police and try and help stop the road carnage!I can absolutely ignore useless minor problems like this in favour of more important endeavours like saving human lives.

I'm absolutely justifying that there are different branches of the police who tackle completely different types of crimes, yes. This is something prevalent in every civilized country in the world and it's not an issue, just like civilized countries don't allow tourists to work without permits.

Immigration officers doing what they're supposed to does in no way, shape or form impact the amount of road deaths in Thailand. It's not even something that can be resolved with more manpower, but rather much harsher monetary punishment for the people who drink and drive, speed, cause accidents, etc. 

It's easy to blurt out populist nonsense like you do without thought of the consequences, but what happens when word gets out that tourists are free to sell stuff on the street in Thailand? What happens when they amass in great numbers and actually start to sell stuff that compete with locals trying to make ends meet? Is that when the Thai authorities should step in and say enough, using much more resources than they are doing now? Or is it perhaps easier to just nip it in the bud now with minimal effort and declare that tourists in Thailand are not allowed to work here?

On 11/20/2019 at 1:18 PM, MJKT2014 said:

Yes, only Thais should be allowed to hog the sidewalks working/selling photographs of their world travels.

You do realise it is Thailand right? Would it be acceptable to you for foreign nationals to sell things on the footpaths in the US, UK or Australia competing with lawful sellers? Oh wait, you couldn’t complain about that.

3 hours ago, Myran said:

It's easy to blurt out populist nonsense like you do without thought of the consequences, but what happens when word gets out that tourists are free to sell stuff on the street in Thailand? What happens when they amass in great numbers and actually start to sell stuff that compete with locals trying to make ends meet? Is that when the Thai authorities should step in and say enough, using much more resources than they are doing now? Or is it perhaps easier to just nip it in the bud now with minimal effort and declare that tourists in Thailand are not allowed to work here?

I'm sure there are masses of tourists waiting to come to Thailand and sit in the gutter to make a hundred baht a day and spend that money to further their enjoyment of their holiday by competing with some of the poorest people in the world!This is a click bait story with little relevance to any real problems experienced in this country.If you feel that Thailand is at risk from a couple of foreigners selling next to worthless stuff all I can say is Good onya.

Just now, FarFlungFalang said:

I'm sure there are masses of tourists waiting to come to Thailand and sit in the gutter to make a hundred baht a day and spend that money to further their enjoyment of their holiday by competing with some of the poorest people in the world!This is a click bait story with little relevance to any real problems experienced in this country.If you feel that Thailand is at risk from a couple of foreigners selling next to worthless stuff all I can say is Good onya.

You should probably look up the definition of clickbait. They're reporting that two people have been arrested in Chiang Mai because they were working on tourist visas. You not finding that interesting or worthwhile to read doesn't make it clickbait.

And as usual on Thai Visa, people prove that they lack even basic reading comprehension. Your main complaint was about wasting resources, and I gave you an example to illustrate the fact that a couple of officers going out and making a statement with these people is much more cost-effective than waiting for the problem to grow and then trying to tackle it once it's widespread.

Again, there's a ton of traffic police already. The problem isn't lack of resources or manpower, but how they are using them. The rest of the country can't grind to a halt because the traffic police can't get their <deleted> together.

And yes, plenty of people would jump at the opportunity to bum around Thailand selling stuff to prolong their stay here indefinitely – I've met tons of them and there are entire online communities dedicated to "begpacking" and working while travelling Thailand and the rest of Southeast Asia.

10 minutes ago, Myran said:

You should probably look up the definition of clickbait.

... throwing in a topic day after day, until you get awareness and interest, form an opinion

Then call them Begpackers, not Backpackers.

News is clever, don't you think? 

You fall for it, up to you. I don't.

Just now, RedPill said:

... throwing in a topic day after day, until you get awareness and interest.

Then call them Begpackers, not Backpackers.

News is clever, don't you think?

Not sure what you're trying to convey. Clickbait is to trick people into clicking on something they otherwise wouldn't click by being misleading. This ain't it. It might be pointless and bad, but it ain't clickbait.

Begpackers is the common term used for people who don't have an actual travel budget, but instead rely on locals to fund their travels, whether through actual begging or selling stuff on the street.

4 minutes ago, Myran said:

Not sure what you're trying to convey. Clickbait is to trick people into clicking on something they otherwise wouldn't click by being misleading. This ain't it. It might be pointless and bad, but it ain't clickbait.

Begpackers is the common term used for people who don't have an actual travel budget, but instead rely on locals to fund their travels, whether through actual begging or selling stuff on the street.

Ok, we both don't need to argue against each other about it.

I think overall you get my drift, hopefully. And I get yours. 

I'm just a bit more skeptical than you, that's it. I always have the bigger picture in back of my mind

On 11/20/2019 at 11:49 AM, Matzzon said:

Great! Just another area that has grown rapidly in the last years that needs cleaning up. It´s right. Coming here and working to earn your possibility to stay is illegal without a work permit. Just rack´em up and deport them.

Good thing acting like a Jackass is still legal. ????

'but what happens when word gets out that tourists are free to sell stuff on the street in Thailand? ' Nothing happens except Thailand is improved. It becomes morw international   interesting and varies. No damage done. This fearful nonsense is just junta generated xenophobia to distract from the incompetence and  corruption of the government.

Archived