Video: Insult to injury - pick-up revs off after "deliberate braking"

webfact

Video: Insult to injury - pick-up revs off after "deliberate braking"

8pm_VI.jpg

Thai caption: Braked causing collision - exhaust comes next

Sanook reported on CCTV footage posted on the site of the Chanthaburi municipality that showed a collision between a pick-up and a motorcycle. 

The media said the evidence was clear that the pick up driver had deliberately braked to cause the motorcycle following behind to collide with him. 

The pick up fled off into the night following the incident on Monday on Phraya Trang road in the eastern Thai city.

As he did so he added insult to injury - a face full of black exhaust smoke for the stricken motorcyclist. 

Fortunately the motorcyclist who was wearing a helmet is then seen getting up and walking to the side of the road. 

Netizens were calling for the driver to be arrested for his deliberate act, said Sanook. 

It was not reported if anything had led up to the incident. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-20

WARNING: The following video may be disturbing for some viewers. Discretion is advised

Just now, keith101 said:

Might be possible somehow the person on the motorcycle was threatening the pick up and saw this as a way of escaping , more than likely not but TIT 

You are not serious are you?!   ????

I read ridiculous twaddle here every day, but you have just set a new mark for r.t. in blaming the victim. 

What ever the reason the pickup braked, the motorbike rider is 100% at fault for not riding in a manner / distance whereby he can brake in time. 

That said, for the pickup driver to speed off like that he is obviously a tool, it looks like he deliberately caused an accident - we don't know that back-story, as Keith above mentioned the MC rider could have been threatening, he could have had a gun etc... 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

What ever the reason the pickup braked, the motorbike rider is 100% at fault for not riding in a manner / distance whereby he can brake in time. 

I have had thai drives pull that on me at least three times, I of course was riding the same speed as the traffic. It was done deliberately. I was able to brake in time but easily could have hit them.

Sorry, but apologizes, those were the facts. Better get apologizing and flip it to blame me

You are on the Clock! 

10 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

I have had thai drives pull that on me at least three times, I of course was riding the same speed as the traffic. It was done deliberately. I was able to brake in time but easily could have hit them.

Sorry, but apologizes, those were the facts. Better get apologizing and flip it to blame me

You are on the Clock! 

I have pulled this stunt many times. If a motorcyclist drives up my backside, trying to intimidate me, I always give them flying lessons.

19 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:
24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are on the Clock! 

You were riding at a safe difference and didn't rear-end the car so there is no blame to place on you.

But, consider why 'at least three times' the car in front has felt it necessary to brake test you.

hahahaha, that'll learn the scoot rider for not staying a safe distance behind..

I had a scoot run into the back of my pickup and he landed in the tub body whilst the scoot got smashed to bits as it went under the pickup..... poor lad broke both legs.

The other lane was clear of traffic (as far as I could tell).   Why did the motorcycle follow so closely?  Why not just switch lanes?   

I'm not saying the pickup truck has to be an a**hole, but it's not like the motorcycle "had no choice".  It's sad what happened, but is he really the "victim"??

There is a larger problem with the general mindlessness of Thai driving, but.........well.....

let's hear what @Yinn thinks about the incident first.

In the states it's called "brake checking". Drivers who are tired of others tailgating or following too closely sometimes do it. (I'm not saying it's right). I'm not sure about other areas, but in the state I lived in you were automatically at fault if you rear-ended another vehicle, the reason being that if you were following at a reasonable distance you would have had enough time to brake and not hit the vehicle in front of you.

That being said, does Thailand have a "legal following distance"?

54 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

I do believe they have something in place as the scooter fellow that ended up with broken legs in the back of my pickup did try to blame me (well his father did, he was in hospital) so my insurance company would pay his medical and buy a new scoot...... the police told him to go fornicate with himself as it was his fault, not mine.

57 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

Yes - following at a safe distance so that you can stop in time. 

Additionally, Thailand also has a 'safe distance' for stationary traffic which is 5m from the vehicle in front of you.

This is so that just incase you are 'rear-ended' there is less probability of you being shunted into the vehicle in front. 

That said, since when have any laws or regulations made any difference to those driving in Thailand ?

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I do believe they have something in place as the scooter fellow that ended up with broken legs in the back of my pickup did try to blame me (well his father did, he was in hospital) so my insurance company would pay his medical and buy a new scoot...... the police told him to go fornicate with himself as it was his fault, not mine.

How is that possible? ... 'the Farang is always at fault'  or so some would have us believe on this forum. Your example above is a good example of how regardless of the paranoid ramblings of a few barstool experts us Westerners are generally treated with equality here, or at least equal indifference. 

30 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

The motorcyclist was driving too close otherwise he would have been able to stop in time.....no excuses at all. Kudos to the pick up driver.

You are giving Kudos to someone who (possibly) deliberately caused an accident, most definitely injured someone and then sped off without any concern for the victim and without offering any assistance. 

Do you generally give kudos to those who would inflict pain on others and not assist ?

Just now, tifino said:
2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes... and create an immovable line of traffic, otherwise known as gridlock. 

I'd be more worried about my safety margin (ahead) stolen away

Thats always the problem here. 

Even on a motorcycle the stopping distance is less than a car, so when traveling in traffic and attempting to leave a safe braking distance another vehicle (Bike or car) will take that space, the end result is that to get anywhere we have to drive / ride with a degree of compromise. 

And you can be sure that in a line of stopped traffic if you leave a safe gap, it will be considered too much of a gap by the other drives who are likely to pap their horn to get you to edge closer. 

20 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:
23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Even on a motorcycle the stopping distance is less than a car

Really? Not IME.

I reckon you could probably out-brake an F1 car on your Yamaha fino...  ????

Realistically - a high end Sports bike with an experienced rider can out-break something like a Honda Jazz etc...  But a scooter (any scooter) will not out brake the average car. 

3 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I have pulled this stunt many times. If a motorcyclist drives up my backside, trying to intimidate me, I always give them flying lessons.

Hopefully the next time you do it you will do it to the son/daughter of a high ranking General.

Then we'll see who gets the flying lesson :w00t:.

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But a scooter (any scooter) will not out brake the average car.

Certainly not a scooter ridden by a young Thai. Brake pads worn down to the rivets, bald, underinflated tyres, need I go on? Trust me.....I know!

I was once being followed at speed by a young Thai, down Pratumnak Hill, slammed his brakes on for all they were worth (no idea why 555) and his front tyre promptly parted company with the rim. Oh how I laughed. Great sport.

rider must have been on auto pilot not to see the brake lights light up and brake accordingly, even if it was a deliberate ploy by the car driver, the bike should have been travelling at a speed he could stop at if needed especially in Thailand. Too many crazy drivers/riders here to do anything other than be ready to brake if needed at all times, didnt think the bike was as far up his butt that it warranted this, have had them much closer to me in the past, I usually keep my foot on the accelerator and just touch the brake pedal to light up my brake lights without slowing down so they back off, only an idiot rides/drives that close to others(less than at least 2 metres at speed) they dont leave enough room to brake & it becomes dangerous, thai driving laws do state a safe distance but like most that road laws most people ignore it

Archived