Chiang Mai: Crackdown on tourists teaching at language institutes and cram schools

webfact

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Well, I back the immigration people on this one.

Working illegally, not paying taxes etc. These people cause problems for all of us.

Kindly explain to me how this woman "Patricia" caused you a problem.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bkkatl said:

I agree. My company, which hires teachers and then forwards them on to Thai public schools, hires people with no work permits often. I get less money every month working legally than the people working illegally. My agency is so big however, that immigration doesn't blink an eye. 

Are you a NES? If the answer is yes and you are getting less money then something is very wrong.

What I wonder is how Thai kids will ever learn to speak English properly?

I went out with a Thai English teacher who could read and write English excellently but could hardly speak any English.

There are many native English speakers here who would love to teach English even on a part time basis.

I don't mean those English speakers for whom English is their second language either but real first language English speakers.

There seems no avenue to do that legally. If you know how please inform me.

Thailand will continue to be near the bottom for English proficiency unless the government makes an effort.

As for taking the job of a Thai that is complete B.S. No Thai speaks English as well as I do.

2 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

Here are some more fact, why not to forget to blame THAIS

1. The most teaching agencies are hiring teachers, do not help for get a work permit.

2. Many good Filipino teachers with all the proper documents getting not hired because,

the many school require only native speakers. I have seen many of the native speakers with many hard to under standing dialects. That is why I think it is stupid, not to hire Filipino teachers.

3. There is a lot of money under the table involved. 

4. Of course there are some foreigners they do that, but as a matter of fact Thailand is social political still in stone age.  The government wants to be a global player, but when you look how inhuman they treat foreigners waiting for deportation. That is so disgusting. All the world talk about North Korea, and how the torture prisoners, but why nobody talks about Thailand and how they do not care about human rights. 

Why wouldn't Thai schools hire philippinos?

They are generally paid less than westerners. However, often their accents are hard to understand and their grasp on grammar and spelling is tenuous at best.

Another reason they are not hired is because parents complain about non-native speakers teaching English.

I used to work with a bunch of philippinos and they tried hard but were pretty sub-standard in the English language.

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

I was wondering when you were going to post. I have read, so far, of posters mentioning at least 4 people they know working illegally.

I thought you may have read the same and burst a blood vessel or had a stroke.

Good to see you are still with us.

+1

1 hour ago, Hackney35 said:

There simply isn’t enough foreigners willing to work for peanut salaries who have the necessary degrees to get work permits.

Is it really better for Thai kids to be taught by Thai English teachers who literally can’t speak English (I’ve witnessed this in my good private school in bang Rak) or by some American who maybe has lots of life experience but no paper degree? 

I have a degree equivalent certificate that was acquired in Australia. In addition I have more than 30 years of job related real world studies, mostly at technical colleges which is better in everyway to a 3 year BA.

I was able to program mainframe and mini computers in 5 languages for a start. This degree stuff just gives me wind.

Perhaps "Patricia" has other study paths as well, not to mention the get up and go to help Thai kids. She didn't just sit on her ar*e complaining about it.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Really? Enough reports of people being turned away when having had 2 or more actual visas, and border hopping has been tough for a long time, so how have they been getting away with it all those years?

One teacher having been caught, also doesn't seem like massive evidence of a grand epidemic.

She started it by making  trouble according to the news in the city

When the police came looking for her they found her teaching  illegally

Which is why people should  be careful when shootint their  mouths off at people or causing annoyances or bullying 

As this ended up.in her arrest  

Also they said this  is just the start  so have to start  somewhere 

Must be annoying people that have the work permits and visas and pay taxes for othet people to skip  the system 

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

I was wondering when you were going to post. I have read, so far, of posters mentioning at least 4 people they know working illegally.

I thought you may have read the same and burst a blood vessel or had a stroke.

Good to see you are still with us.

Thanks, yes I am alive and kicking as always. ???? Nice of you to drop in and give me one of my well deserved comments too.

You really think immigration is going to take a breather after they pick all the low hanging fruit? This has all the feel of a never ending pogram. I see lawn mowing and rose bush trimming infractions on the horizon. Heck, telling an immigration officer 'you're happily married, but it takes a lot of work' might get you in hot water.

The groundwork for Chinese-style social control is being laid. Say what you will about informal teaching by foreigners (and I know some were poorly qualified), but that avenue of interaction between Thais and foreigners was important for cultural exchange and social engagement, and it's being effectively wiped out. It's having an effect on the retirement and married expat experience because an important avenue of community engagement is being eliminated. Thailand is doing a terrible job of exploiting the expat community as a resource for its human development.

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

Why not apply for the right visa and just work legally ?

Might not meet the qualifications. In China they’d hire English Teachers for the private schools just because the person could

speak English kinda sorta.

I knew one retired US didn’t finish High School and no formal training as a teacher.....teaching English to younger students.

He rented an apartment we owned in China. Got a call he can’t walk. Myself and a mutual friend carried to the car and to hospital.

Had a drinking problem.. cleaning up the apartment to rent. Washing machine full of Chines rice whisky...

China had to put the squeeze on it..

But we have been told that Thailand wants to boost the learning of English in Thailand So students would benefit when attending Colleges and Universities World Wide... Someone from the PM's Office needs to informall Law enforcement Agencys here to do what they can to insure they have the correct Staff in place...

Better Idea!

How many American and Canadian Retiree's are here? You need to eliminate some accents when mixed with Thai. it become totally off the Books. How many...

Let Immigration Interview and ask when Retirees reapply for Visa's... This is the only way you are going to find the correct people... If we don't know your looking... How are you going to find!. You need to accept from those who are here now with economy as it is .. One is not going to moved here and know nothing about Thailand, People today will not take that step!

Get them to Teach either Students, or Thai Teachers how to pronounce and or spell and why same words have different meanings. Do it Right in the beginning! They will never forget!

Now those who qualify offer them free Visa as long as they teach plus a Standard Salary. Visa is basically a bonus for going to Bat for Thailand. Require no funds in the Bank on Deposit, give them a Special Letter or ID card to protect each of them. Include them on Thai Insurance program and pay each visit same as Thai counter-part (Thai Teachers) 

You will do 3 things ASAP!

1. Weed out the Bad applications

2. Student skills would increase from Day One!

3. Stop the illegal activities being manipulated by Present Staff at Thai Schools.

You will further see schools on budget, stop illegal forging of monies paid and collected by Greedy Managers.

Try it for One year and if at the end of 1st Semester you see no benefits or Improvements at end of year disband Program. But you must keep The Falang Teachers in the Loop so they know where their Employment stands!!

5 hours ago, orchis said:

''The authorities have said that there are many tourists on 30 day visas continually nipping across the border to extend then going right back to work illegally at language and cram schools in the northern city.''

How would that work if only 2 border crossing for visa exempt allowed per year, also 30 day visa, actually visa exempt cannot be extended by crossing borders.

Falang are very crafty, they always have a cunning plan

1 minute ago, davidstipek said:

But we have been told that Thailand wants to boost the learning of English in Thailand So students would benefit when attending Colleges and Universities World Wide... Someone from the PM's Office needs to informall Law enforcement Agencys here to do what they can to insure they have the correct Staff in place...

Better Idea!

How many American and Canadian Retiree's are here? You need to eliminate some accents when mixed with Thai. it become totally off the Books. How many...

Get them to Teach either Students, or Thai Teachers how to pronounce and or spell and why same words have different meanings. Do it Right in the beginning! They will never forget!

Now those who qualify offer them free Visa as long as they teach plus a Standard Salary. Visa is basically a bonus for going to Bat for Thailand. Require no funds in the Bank on Deposit, give them a Special Letter or ID card to protect each of them. Include them on Thai Insurance program and pay each visit same as Thai counter-part (Thai Teachers) 

You will do 3 things ASAP!

1. Weed out the Bad applications

2. Student skills woill increase from Day One!

3. Stop the illegal activities being manipulated by Present Staff at Thai Schools.

You will further see schools on budget, stop illegal forging of monies paid and collected by Greedy Managers.

Try it for One year and if at the end of 1st Semester you see no benefits or Improvements at end of year disband Program. But you must keep The Falang Teachers in the Loop so they know where their Employment stands!!

woill I don't know about number two

the school won,t get fine, so if they don,t want to pay the teacher, the school will tell the immigration dept, the teacher will be caught and then the school has no need to pay. My friend from USA had this problem few yrs ago.  It is good to catch all those so called teacher, they don,t know how to teach anyway. Thailand is like that, if you are farang, do not look like oriental,you can be English teach even you don,t know how to teach at all

1 minute ago, davidstipek said:

Soalbundy… Thanks I corrected it. I don't think I would qualify as I type faster then electronic keyboard Posts ????

David

They need to understand... No one is going to up-root and move here with Economy as it Stands! They need to take a long... Hard look at who's here now and has an understanding of Thailand and it's Culture! and wants aa chance to stay.

Archived