Chiang Mai: Crackdown on tourists teaching at language institutes and cram schools

webfact

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, miamiman123 said:

Get em all

many EP/international schools in Bangkok have teachers WITHOUT a degree teaching or shady school graduate like religious school from USA? Sound familiar Mr.T??? 

Probably a cover up for some other activities. Very common to have such schools in Latin America. Usually they have some other purpose than religious. Like those non profits organizations to launder money and "help" the kids.

There is a very high demand for foreign english teachers, as the vast majority of Thai english teachers are hugely incompetent. And the government makes it difficult for them to work legally. Tens of thousands of these teachers are needed, in order for the nation to move forward and being to get a grasp of this universal language. These illegal teachers should be given an award and a bonus by the government, not prosecuted, or persecuted. If anyone should be persecuted, it is their own education ministry, for repeated failure to improve on any level.

4 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

Play by the rules or pay the consequences.

Your choice.

Change the rules. Thailand needs to loosen up and adopt a more lesse fair attitude.  It needs about a hundred thousand westerners working at all levels, teachers  builders, DJs, etc etc.

5 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Change the rules. Thailand needs to loosen up and adopt a more lesse fair attitude.  It needs about a hundred thousand westerners working at all levels, teachers  builders, DJs, etc etc.

'I'm sure all the people in your home country love you when shouting to the illegal immigrants without WP and proper visa 'we need hundred thousand of you workers of all levels, welcome ????

17 hours ago, bkkatl said:

I think bigger issue is people on marriage and retirement visas working without a permit. Half the guys I know don't have a work permit but they're married.

And that’s an issue for you? Get a life..

19 hours ago, bkkatl said:

I agree. My company, which hires teachers and then forwards them on to Thai public schools, hires people with no work permits often. I get less money every month working legally than the people working illegally. My agency is so big however, that immigration doesn't blink an eye. 

The name of your company is?

19 hours ago, bkkatl said:

I agree. My company, which hires teachers and then forwards them on to Thai public schools, hires people with no work permits often. I get less money every month working legally than the people working illegally. My agency is so big however, that immigration doesn't blink an eye. 

Do something to educate yourself then so you can get more money. 

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There is a very high demand for foreign english teachers, as the vast majority of Thai english teachers are hugely incompetent. And the government makes it difficult for them to work legally. Tens of thousands of these teachers are needed, in order for the nation to move forward and being to get a grasp of this universal language. These illegal teachers should be given an award and a bonus by the government, not prosecuted, or persecuted. If anyone should be persecuted, it is their own education ministry, for repeated failure to improve on any level.

If you do not have a degree and a valid TEFL diploma you are an amateur who does not have the skills to teach. That's fine if you are volunteering in the local Wat for FREE it is not fine if you get paid to be a professional, qualified teacher (and are hear illegally).

30 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

If you do not have a degree and a valid TEFL diploma you are an amateur who does not have the skills to teach. That's fine if you are volunteering in the local Wat for FREE it is not fine if you get paid to be a professional, qualified teacher (and are hear illegally).

Hmmm. I spent 40 years teaching in the UK and I can safely say that in that 40 years in met and observed many, many secondary school teachers (who had degrees, PGCE and QTS) many still didn't have the skills to teach. Their teaching assistant were often much more adept at teaching and had lower qualification levels - In fact some of the best 'teaching i ever observed was a 50+ year old women who worked part time as a TA in an inner city school, she had 5 kids and she said she the skills she uses to teach are just the skills she used to raise her kids - patience, love and fun. Unsurprisingly the students loved, and listened to her every word. 

Just now, jonclark said:

Hmmm. I spent 40 years teaching in the UK and I can safely say that in that 40 years in met and observed many, many secondary school teachers (who had degrees, PGCE and QTS) and many still didn't have the skills to teach. Their teaching assistants were often much more adept at teaching and had lower qualification levels - In fact some of the best 'teaching i ever observed was a 50+ year old women who worked part time as a TA in an inner city school, she had 5 kids and she said she the skills she uses to teach are just the skills she used to raise her kids - patience, love, hard work  and fun. Unsurprisingly the students loved, and listened to her every word. 

3 hours ago, swifty5x5 said:

I have meet Thai english teachers that do not speak english.

Me too, But what most can do is explain English grammar very well to Thai kids.

I think these teachers have a valid place in the system, they generally aren’t paid very well (unless they pay their way and ass kiss to better positions), and eventually they will vanish. I met some great forward thinking trainee teachers in my last high school gig, they expressed their frustration about being locked in the system.

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

So, a degree in e-sports (online gaming), culinary arts, or maybe a Bachelor or divinity from an online Mormon college costing about $3,000 makes a perfectly qualified teacher. This is the only thing that matters to Thai immigration require is a degree and a tefl certificate that can be acquired in a day for $5 makes a professional teacher. Rrrrright?

Life experience or transferable skills from previous creative thinking jobs should be ignored?

I have worked in village schools where you have from 50 to 200 kids of mixed ages and low ability stuffed into a room, you don’t need a degree, you need patience and to be resourceful and engaging. 

I do agree with you that the teacher should understand what they are teaching, and the effort in obtaining a degree prepares you for the volume of work and preparation you should be doing, but sadly many degree holders are just here to toss it off. 

It’s not as simple as you suggest. 

58 minutes ago, recom273 said:

So, a degree in e-sports (online gaming), culinary arts, or maybe a Bachelor or divinity from an online Mormon college costing about $3,000 makes a perfectly qualified teacher. This is the only thing that matters to Thai immigration require is a degree and a tefl certificate that can be acquired in a day for $5 makes a professional teacher. Rrrrright?

It's indeed dumb, my degree in comp sci would qualify me but actually i have a level degree in english and lived in the US for years - that on the other hand would not qualify me.

This stuff should be based on exams passed on an international standard and nothing else... but glad i don't have kids here, would have to take them back to europe then.

4 hours ago, BobBKK said:

TEFL is not required for Visa, WP, or TL.  It is an industry plagued by dropouts, misfits, carnies, and con artists.  There are documented cases of them farming students out on the second day of class to teach, with the TEFL school getting paid twice.  

27 minutes ago, Woolsgibb60 said:

Show me any teacher in this country who is a university degree teacher none so they should be teaching in the first place all they are. Are chancers 

I have a degree from a top u, and three, 6 year teaching certificates from Arizona.  Moved here in 2014...I am willing to work for <deleted> wages.  I am not willing to jump through hoops like a circus animal...havent worked a day here, and have more money, than I came with.  I have met one guy in 22 years of visiting LOS, that was treated fairly.  He arrived on a VEE, gave them his passport,,got all his stuff a few days later, at the school's expense.  OTOH, have met at least a 100, who were herded onto vans for hellish trips to Vientianne, at their expense, and were still not legal, upon their return.  Otherwise, I have lived close to three different Unis in LOS, and 99% of the students seem like nice, polite kids. Blocking the condo entrance with their motorbikes and walking with their noses in the phone are about their most serious offences..parents taught them well.

Archived